Re: [40Whacks] Ghost Hunters "investigate" the Borden house

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hi Pat:
      Right again.  12 to 1:00 a.m. is a single episode.

      Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 11:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [40Whacks] Ghost Hunters "investigate" the Borden house

      In a message dated 10/7/2005 10:28:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, muriella@... writes:
      I'll be sure to watch SciFi next Wednesday.
      By the way, if anyone can't catch it at 9, the new episode plays again at midnight here in NY so check the schedule.

      Pat
    • Rev COAL
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
        Actually, according to a blurb I saw on the SciFi channel this weekend, both episodes on Wednesday were labeled as new episodes -- so it's unclear whether the Borden segment will be on the first show, or the one following it.

        In the eastern time zone, that would be from 8 to 9, with the 2nd episode running from 9 to 10. They repeat the episodes later for the west coast, so on the east coast the eps will repeat at midnite and at 1 am Thursday morning.

        NOTE: I just checked my TV listing guide, and it states that the first episode is "California Haunts" -- well, that would be a repeat of last week's show, contrary to the ad on Sci Fi this weeking stating both episodes would be new. The episode broadcasting at 9 edt is describes as "The TAPS team investigates an Ohio prison".

        That was part of the preview for the show with the Borden segment (they usually do 2 investigations per show), so my guess is that the Borden segment is still the 2 episode of the night, and not the 1st.

        BTW, that "Ohio prison" is the one used to film "The Shawshank Redemption".

        Right again. 12 to 1:00 a.m. is a single episode.

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
          Pat wrote:

          >Last week's show had something else
          >unbelievable -- why in God's name would
          >they drive from Rhode Island to
          >California?

          I wondered about the same thing; only thing I could figure was perhaps to save money (5 (or did they have 6?) roundtrip plane tickets could be more expensive than gasoline and cheap motels), but probably more because they didn't want to risk their equipment getting lost or damaged being banged around by airline baggage handlers....or perhaps some of them are just afraid of flying.

          >They said it would take them four days --
          >well, and then four days back -- does that
          >make any sense?

          Especially since in the first season, remember the episode where the wives of the 2 Rotor Rooter guys bitched about them being away from home so much? And that was when they were only going to NYC or Philly, one-nighters.

          Now suddenly the wives have no objection to their husbands being away for more than a week?

          And what happens with the Rotor Rooter business in the meantime? Do customers just have to suffer with stopped up sinks and overflowing toilets while those 2 galavant around the country chasing ghosts?

          >Airline tickets have to have been cheaper
          >than gas, food and lodging for that
          >group,

          Not necessarily. Wasn't it the 2 Rotor Rooter guys (the creators of TAPS), and 3 or 4 helpers? I forget if Donna went along or not, if she did then she'd get a room for herself, the other guys could double up in 2 more rooms. 3 cheap rooms at Super 8 or Motel 6 or the ilk over 3 or 4 nights probably would have been cheaper (with gas factored in) than 6 RT air flights.

          As for meals, my guess is that they stuck to McD's and similar fast food outlets.

          >and it's not like they have that much
          >equipment.

          Actually it IS a fair amout of equipment, that's why they use 2 vans. But it was probably as much an issue of making sure that all the equipment was safe and wouldn't end up damaged by baggage handlers as it was a monetary matter.

          It would be interesting to find out how much SciFi Channel pays for these jaunts -- they HAVE to be paying at least a portion.

          >I also thought the ghost tour director was
          >suspect, and I reacted the same
          >way June did when I saw the covers
          >pulled back.

          I'd like to know just what are the requirements/qualifications to be a "Ghost Tour Director"? I mean, what school gives a degree (or even a minor program) in that? ;-)

          It seems to me that if my job was "Ghost Tour Director", my paycheck would be relying on there actually being ghosts to direct tours to. And not only would it be in my best economic interest to have "proof" of ghosts, I'd want to make sure such "proof" was provided to be shown to the widest possible audience, to drum up new business.

          The shame of the thing is, it now casts ALL the stories of the hauntings on the Queen Mary into doubt -- one has to wonder if all the experiences/sightings/sounds people have reported over the years haven't all been because they were hoaxed.

          I think the problem with Ghost Hunters lately is that they've been concentrating too much on "known", big name places to investigate, like the Queen Mary and the Winchester Mystery House -- when their best investigations have been at private homes that aren't known to the public, like that house in Connecticut where the chair moved my itself, the latched door unlatched and slammed shut and relatched, and they heard footsteps upstairs when no one was there (allegedly).

          Of course, as much as one has to wonder about a "Ghost Tour Director" playing games to assure job security, one also has to wonder about the producers of a ghost hunter show playing games to assure ratings.... ;-)

          June
        • Rev COAL
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005

            >Wouldn't it be something if, instead of
            >Lizzie coming down the front stairs, the
            >ghost of Bridget appeared?

            Actually, on some other show about the alleged haunting of the Borden house, someone claimed that Bridget indeed haunts the house.

            For the rest of us who don't believe that Bridget is the culprit in the murders, the question needs to be asked of why would Bridget's spirit haunt the place (if indeed it does)?

            BTW (and FWIW), of all the shows I've seen where they've talked about seeing various ghosts at the Borden house, not one has ever said they saw a ghost wielding an axe.

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
              In a message dated 10/10/2005 3:18:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, ynrchyldzwylds_hobby@... writes:
              For the rest of us who don't believe that Bridget is the culprit in the murders, the question needs to be asked of why would Bridget's spirit haunt the place (if indeed it does)?
              One of the most intriguing questions for me -- even moreso at times than the ins and outs of the murder and who was where and when and who said and did what -- is why the heck did Bridget move to Montana? It was so far away from her life and her circle of friends, so unlike the city/town life she was used to and so undeveloped. If she had moved to Boston or NY or another city nearby, that would have made sense to me, or, at least more sense.

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
                Hi Pat:
                From what I've learned, Bridget went to Montana to be near the woman who had come to the U.S. with her back in 1886.  Don't hold me to this, but that's what I've read some years back.

                Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 3:31 PM