Re: [40Whacks] Andrew Locked Out

  • Rev COAL
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3 9:23 AM
      Muriel wrote:

      >I say Bridget entered the house by the
      >front door and locked all three locks in
      >order to prevent Morse, most likely, from
      >entering the house unexpectecdly.

      Morse didn't have a key -- just latching the front door would have been sufficient to keep him from entering. Besides, there was no reason for Bridget (or anyone else) to expect Morse home before lunchtime, as he had made known his intentions to first go to the Post Office and then visit his niece.

      Finally, while there are any number of people in the area who stated they saw strange people that morning waiting outside the Borden house, or at the front door, saw Andrew coming home, even to seeing Bridget washing the windows or chatting over the fence with the next door maid, no one ever said they saw Bridget go in the front door. Remarkable bit of luck for Bridget, that no one on that busy street saw her going in the front door (an action that would have been thought remarkable, as servants were never supposed to use the front door).

      >p.37. Lizzie Borden: Lazy as sin.

      Considering that she helped around the house (as much as any middle-class women would with a maid in the family's employ) plus worked as a Sunday School teacher plus worked for the Women's Christian Temperance League, she hardly sounds "lazy" to me.

      Was her sister Emma any less "lazy"?

      >p.62. Dr. Bowen did not have one of the
      >better practices in town.

      And one has to wonder just WHAT that phrase really meant to the people who said it.

      To me it suggests something seedy about Bowen, something I've always thought, also...

      But by having what was considered not "one of the better practices in town", did that mean he had poor or working class patients as opposed to the uppercrust denizens of Fall River? Or did it mean he supplied illicit drugs or performed illegal abortions?

      >Victoria Lincoln claimed she heard him
      >referred to as "That old Bowen".

      I'm sure that she did. But it would be interesting to find out the exact objections that certain people had to him.

      >p.88. Dr. Handy noticed the young man
      >had become agitated. Would you believe
      >Dr. Handy lived on Rock Street. Golly Gee.

      And that is relevant....how?

      >p.106. Referring to Dr. Kelly, Lincoln
      >claimed he was Irish and Irish doctors
      >were at the bottom of the list.

      Lower than "that old Bowen"?

      >p.11. Police Officer Michael Mullaly - a
      >rather dim-witted young man.

      Actually most of the FRPD comes off as rather dimwitted in this case.

      Probably not their fault, as they probably had little experience in this sort of crime.

      Plus most cops were probably from working-class Irish stock, which would have greatly diminished their standing in Lincoln's class-conscious mind...

      >Knowlton told Att. Gen. Pillsbury that
      >nothing was uncovered to satisfy them to
      >Lizzie being innocent.

      So much for the Constitutional concept of presumed innocence until proven guilty.

      It is the State's job to PROVE guilt, rather than the accused's job to prove their innocence.

      That is why the jury found her not guilty -- the State could never prove its case.

      >She had to have had some knowledge of
      >the occurrence. Translation - hang the
      >witch.

      Ah, but does having "some knowledge of the occurrence" necessarily translate into her being the one who swung the ax?

      June ;-)