Maryilyn Sheppard Murder

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2005

      Happy belated Lizzie murder day to the group!

      And to quickly change the subject, anyone here follow the Sam Sheppard case?  Young suburban doctor accused of beating his pregnant wife to death in 1954 Cleveland, Ohio.  Convicted 2nd degree, served ten years, won new trial and was acquitted in 1966.

      If you’re a JT minion, you’ve heard me harp about real murder mysteries.  And since Lizzie is guilty, the Borden case is like a Columbo episode:  you know the killer, so it’s a “how catch ‘em” rather than a “who dunnit”.

      The murder of Marilyn Sheppard is a riddle inside an enigma infested with mystery.  There are no fewer than 5 good suspects – each with a hypothetical motive:

      1.       Sam Sheppard:  unfaithful husband who might have gone berserk upon learning his wife was carrying someone else’s baby.

      2.       Lester Hoverson:  friend of Sam’s visiting that week who was despised by Marilyn because he was urging Sam to get a divorce

      3.       Spencer and Ester Houk: suspicious acting neighbors who might need to cover up Spencer’s alleged affair with Marilyn.

      4.       Donald Wedler:   burglar whose account of killing a woman during a Cleveland home invasion mirrored the Sheppard case details.

      5.       Richard Eberling:  Sheppard window washer (and alleged serial killer) who may have feared Marilyn exposing his theft from customers.

      Sam had more affairs than he could count.  Hoverson was depressed and resentful of Marilyn.  Ester Houk was jealous of her younger neighbor’s hold on her husband.  Wedler knew details that weren’t in the newspaper accounts.  And Eberling was just plain Creepy…

      It’s a fascinating conundrum of true crime.  Anyone curious about it?

      JT

    • Autumn
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2005
        I read a book on it along time ago, it is a
        fascinating case. I thought that it had finally been
        solved and that it was determined that Eberling that
        did it.

        Autumn