nail in keyhole

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2005
      Hi gang:

      Just got through re-reading a copy of Miss Russell's letter to District Attorney William Moody, date 2 June '93.

      Her handwriting is a little hard to read in places, but on the whole, pretty good.  It is nine pages long, and soon will be on its way to someplace in Alberta, Canada.

      Lizzie was telling Miss Russell about the break-in  of June, 1891.  Here's what she said:
      "Mrs. Borden's things in her dressing room were ransacked, and her gold watch and chain, money and car tickets were taken."  I think she told me there was something else taken but I can't remember just what.  I think a pin or a charm.  They also found a nail in the keyhole

      A bolt of lightning just struck.  The nail in the keyhole Lizzie was referring to, was a keyhole of a locked drawer in the desk, not a door!!  Mrs. Borden kept her stuff in Mr. Borden's desk, which was in her dressing room!!!

      As for the men Lizzie told Alice Russell that she'd seen running around the back of the house several times, Miss Russell suggested it might have been Bridget's company, but Lizzie said she hardly thought so.  What if Miss Russell was right?  Lizzie usually went in by the front door.  Bridget testified, or said, that her men callers, she received outside, never in the house.
      Have a great day,