Re: The Ladies of 40 Whacks

  • lauraannphillips2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2005
      JT,

      The incest / menstrual / rhythm method connection is as follows:
      Lizzie was menstruating at the time of the murders... a common method
      of birth control at the time was to confine intercourse to the
      menstrual period... etc. etc. I myself do not think that Lizzie was
      the victim of incest -- not at the time of the murders, in any event--
      because even this family didn't display the kind of sickness that one
      would expect in an adult-on-adult incest case. Though, thinking
      harder on it, I suppose one never knows.... and that's not to say
      Lizzie wasn't abused when younger. I could believe that. Even today
      the stats for girls victimized by incest are 1 in 4. Someday, when
      Emma Borden's diary comes to light (assuming one exists), maybe we'll
      know. (Who knows what treasures lurk in the attics of New England,
      eh?)

      The old, unsolved Victorian murder case that brings to light the
      sexual practices of the time is the Charles Bravo case. Bravo was
      murdered by poison in 1876. At a judicial inquest, his wife, the
      chief suspect, was forced to testify at length about... well, read it
      yourself. An excellent new book by James Ruddick purports to solve
      the old mystery: "Death at the Priory."

      Laura James

      The murder fancier knows that the object of his devotion should
      mellow with age as surely as Madeira. He is constantly beset to
      engage in a study of this or that contemporary murder, but only
      rarely does he accede. Let a crime show its merit, and survive the
      test of years, is his reply.

      --Edmund Lester Pearson, "Queer Books"