Carrying on in the Lizzie traditon...

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004
      You don't often hear of hatchet murders these days, but here's one:

      Teacher Found Guilty in Hatchet Slaying
      Jury Rejects Battered Wife Defense

      PONTIAC, Mich. (Dec. 14) - A jury rejected an elementary school teacher's claim of self-defense and convicted her of murder Tuesday for hacking her husband to death with a hatchet.

      ***

      The article has this clever tidbit:

      She took elaborate steps to cover up her crime, wrapping the body in a tarp and painting the walls and bleaching the floor of the garage where the killing took place. She also shoplifted another hatchet and returned it to Home Depot with her original receipt.

      ******

      I think I would have dumped the hatchet -- bringing it back to Home Depot must have drawn too much attention to it. Anyway, Happy Holidays to All!

      Pat in New York City

    • George Dargus
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
        I watched that woman's testimony on Court TV extra. She makes it sounds like it was self-defense. She's a good actress. If she can kill her husband with a hatchet, why not Lizzie?

        George

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
          Hi Pat:
          Now that's a new twist, the idea of returning the murder weapon to the store you bought it from.  Who would think the murchandise had been used to commit a murder, and what a neat idea of how to get rid of a murder weapon.  The store would not have noticed it was no longer new.  It does raise a lot of questions though, such as:

          1.  How many hatchets are sold by that store at that time of the year?
          2.  How soon after the murder did she shoplift another and return the one she had bought?
          3.  Had she done anything while returning it to make the clerk later remember that transaction?
          4.  Had the store resold it to another customer?  If so, then a lot more questions pop up.
          5.  Could the school teacher have read such a story in a murder magazine and decided to try her luck?

          Pat, I have to go along with you.  I would have dumped the hatchet into the river and shoplifted another to replace the one I'd bought.  I don't think I would have kept the receipt for the original one either, as even that could have created problems, such as the numbers on the hatchets now in stock could have come from a different hatchet company, making the one she shoplifted not match the one she returned.

          I won't go into her IQ, though I feel it can't come close to our famous serial killers.  Still, it may be high enough for her to have thought she was still smarter than the cops.

          Thanks Pat for showing what happens when the cops do their jobs correctly.  I will say one thing.  IF KNOWLTON HAD STAYED HOME IN NEW BEDFORD, THE FALL RIVER POLICE WOULD HAVE SOLVED THIS CASE.
          Merry Christmas everyone.