Re: [40Whacks] 92 Second St *is* for sale

    Message 1 of 11 , May 17, 2004
      In a message dated 5/16/2004 11:51:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, muriela@... writes:
      How:?  By putting up a courthouse directly across the street?
      Here's what it said -- fairly vague "support" --

      Mayor Edward M. Lambert Jr. said he also had hopes the city would not lose such a visible landmark, but that the city could not purchase it and had no interest running a tourism business.

      "The city does have an interest in seeing it preserved," Lambert said. "We’d love to see it continue to run as a bed and breakfast. I think the city would offer (financial) help through" the Office of Economic Development.

      me again: I agree with Muriel here that you never know what could happen to the house (or what further changes could be made to it) so if you haven't seen the house and want to, put it on your agenda. I have to say the city seems fairly short-sighted to me in not offering something more substantial.

      Pat
    • Laura4991@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 11 , May 17, 2004
        I'd love to go to the Borden house, but being from the
        Midwest, it's sure hard to find the time. I was
        talking to hubby about it, telling him I'd love to go,
        but I could never stay the night. "Why?" he
        asks. "Because I'd never get to sleep!" "But," he
        says, "isn't that the point?"

        I wouldn't put it past the city officials in Fall
        River or anywhere else to let the house or
        neighborhood go. City officials just don't give two
        figs. Where I live, they bulldozed the remains of a
        4,000-year-old Indian village to build a new
        elementary school. And they just announced plans to
        tear down the oldest building in Oakland County,
        Michigan, an old stagecoach stop built around 1831
        while Michigan was still a territory. Now it's a biker
        bar. They want to expand the road in front of it. When
        I objected, they said, "well, folks will just have to
        find somewhere else to get a hamburger."

        Laura James
        Message 3 of 11 , May 17, 2004
          In a message dated 5/17/2004 1:17:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Laura4991@... writes:
          I'd love to go to the Borden house, but being from the
          Midwest, it's sure hard to find the time
          Keep your eye out for airfares to Boston  -- you may be able to find something cheap. It's an interesting area -- Boston, Providence, Fall River -- also, New Bedford is a short distance away and that's a beautiful little city with lots of history and a fantastic whaling museum.

          You're right, Laura, about old buildings being torn down. So many of them are protected now, but so many have been lost. On my block in New York City, there are three beautiful old town homes and then the world's ugliest circa 1960 apartment building and then three more of these old houses. Sometimes I wonder what was torn down in order to put up this non-descript building -=- and how beautiful the block would be if all the buildings were original.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 17, 2004
            Hi Laura:
            I believe if they bulldozed the remains of a 4,000 year old Indian Village,
            your City officials would destroy anything, excepting their houses, if
            someone wanted to enlarge their street and their houses would have to go.
            But, even then, they'd probably make the city pay by the nose (Like Andrew
            Borden did when he sold the land for a fire station on Plymouth Avenue. He
            made them pay $30,000 for it), and then they'd move into a better section of
            town.

            Over here, Victoria, Texas, if you were living in a house that was about 100
            years old, you could go to the city to see if they wouldn't declare it an
            historical site and if they agreed, you woldn't have to pay taxes on it
            anymore, but would have to keep the outside looking like the original.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 17, 2004
              Hey Pat:
              Wouldn't it be better to fly to Providence?  It's closer to Fall River than Boston is and a lot easier to make the trip.  We always fly into Providence.

              From the description of what has happened to your block in New York City, it could be worse.  Look what happened to the Borden neighborhood and they are not through yet.  But, they are succeeding real well in destroying our historic buildings.  If the city doesn't destroy them, fires do.  So Pat, take pictures of those old town houses.  They may one day fall by the wayside also.
              Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 2:39 PM

[...]

            • Patricia Stephenson
              Message 6 of 11 , May 17, 2004

                PatriciaLu@... wrote:
[...]

                Hi Group,

                I would love to get a heads up about that new documentary.  It is such a small world, I grew up in Malden.

                It's easy for me to say because I live in Massachusetts, but it was a great take.....the historical society was a lot of fun.  They give you the tour, and Lizzie is at the end of the tour, so you learn a great deal more than you planned on.  When you are in the house, everything you have read just comes to life.  You can feel Lizzie gliding through the rooms.  When you read a scene, you can place yourself in that room.  Anyway, you could plan a Boston, Lexington, Concord trip....come in the fall and catch the foliage.  I know that when I was in Amsterdam, and we ran out of time so that I was unable to see the Anne Frank annex, and I regret it to this day.

                Patsy

                Do you Yahoo!?
                Message 7 of 11 , May 17, 2004
                  In a message dated 5/17/2004 5:46:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, patsy751@... writes:
                  I would love to get a heads up about that new documentary.
                  Well, we'll have to try to alert each other if we see something coming -- even if it's a rerun. I think there are some shows I've only seen bits and pieces of.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 17, 2004
                    In a message dated 5/17/2004 6:06:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, muriela@... writes:
                    Wouldn't it be better to fly to Providence?  It's closer to Fall River than Boston is and a lot easier to make the trip.
                    Yes, it would be, of course, but I thought that the air fare might be better to a bigger city -- but the way airfares are so crazy, maybe there's some deal to Providence!

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 17, 2004
                      Hi Pat:
                      You would have to go and mention regretting not getting to see the Anne Frank Annex.  When I went to Europe in 1990, I didn't even think about that.  Had I, I most sure would have gone there.