JT's Swan Song

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2004

      Muriel wrote

      Well, our being in agreement for once sure didn't last long.

      ***I had no illusions that it would…

       To me, Lizzie has always been just a name of some female who got railroaded.  Someone who didn't give a hoot about what anyone thought.  She needed no accolades to make her feel she was worth something.  Like her or leave her, it made no difference to her.

      ***This is pure fantasy! Are we even talking about the same person?  Lizzie cared deeply about what others thought.   Her shame over the 2nd Street House, her sensitivity to rebuke, and her wistful desire to cavort in the echelon of society are well documented.  It was Emma who wanted to be left alone – being ignored was anathema to Lizzie.

      Railroaded?  I will not go down this railroad with you, Muriel.

      I can’t fathom which is more outlandish:  your re-enactment of Bridget killing Abby (coming off a bender with a wicked hangover, hacking away at her mistress with Andrew and Lizzie nearby, calling down about “moving furniture” to explain the racket, skulking out the front door without leaving a blood trail, chatting gaily with Mary Kelly minutes later) or your bizarre mind-set that Lizzie isn’t even a good suspect (just an innocent lass who happened to be at home when the two victims she had motive/means/and opportunity to kill just happened to get killed)

      You’ve locked yourself into a fairy tail about this case, and your persistence is tiresome.  I for one am exhausted.

      If I point out Lizzie tried to buy poison, you dismiss the three men who identified her (Bence, Hart, & Kilroy) but embrace the notion of an alleged undercover woman working a drugstore sting.

      When I reiterate that Lizzie named “Maplecroft”, you insist that Mr. Charles Allen must have named it between 1889-1893, despite Lizzie’s own cousin (among many others) confirming it was indeed Lizbeth of Maplecroft.

      And though the Providence shoplifting episode of 1897 is well documented, you’ve just decided it never happened – thus ignoring the corroboration of the woman Lizzie gave one of the paintings to, the woman who took it in for repair and name-dropped that it was a gift from Lizzie Borden.  (Do you know who it was?  I do…)

      I grow weary.  There’s an old saying:  Winners never quit and quitters never win.

      Yeah, but those that never win and never quit are idiots.  And that applies to both of us, Muriel.

      I hope most everyone has enjoyed the tidbits from my vast vault of research and development.

      If I seemed a bit of a tease, then I’m sorry.  So much of my information is proprietary.

      I love this group…And to my minions – don’t let anyone insult the memory of Lizzie with some two-bit theory.  Our lady of Fall River is the most fascinating murderess in history.

      “Two hours of brisk activity in that closed and sultry house and as a reward, The World!”

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
        Hi JT:
        You could be right about Lizzie getting her feelings hurt.  True, but at the same time, she would avoid them in the future.
        As for her shame over the 2nd St. house and her wistful desire to cavort in the echelon of society are well documented:  I disagree.  To me I read this as heresay which turned myth into legend.  People who desperately want Lizzie guilty.
        For me, I'll stick with what the reporters and all the others who were there had to say or uncover.
        Three times I'd read where the reporters tried to tell Knowlton that he had arrested the wrong one.  They weren't only trying to sell newspapers, they were trying to earn that $5,000 ($100,000 in today's money).

        I do like your Bridget killing Abby (coming off a bender with a wicked hangover, hacking away at her mistress with Andrew and Lizzie nearby.
        All I will say about this is that if Lizzie had entered the guest bedrom when she went upstairs with clean clothes, she would have gotten killed.
        You ask how Bridget got out the front door without leaving a blood trail.  Strange, seeing if Lizzie was guilty, she managed to do it.
        No one can cover this case without screwing up.  I screwed up when I had Bridget chatting with Mary Doolan, Dr. Kelly's maid "Before" she supposedly washed the windows.  I later learned that Mary Doolan stated her conversation with Bridget happened shortly before Mr. Borden came home, so Bridget had plenty of time to wash the blood from herself and her clothes while in the barn (not washing windows).

        Buying poison on Wednesday:  All I can say is that Abby and Andrew threw up Tuesday night.  You say she tried again for poison on Wednesday.  A Mr. Gray told reporters that Eli Bence had told him he could not swear it was Lizzie who had been in his store.  And, a State Inspector and his wife were in town seeing if they could get druggists to sell them poison without a subcription.

        I haven't the faintest idea as to who had "Maplecroft" inscribed? on the top step.  I just can't picture Lizzie buying that house and having that done.  This would seem out of character for her.

        The only question I have about the article which appeared in the 1897 Providence Journal about those stolen plates is:  "Where was McHenry at this time?  Free or already in jail on some other failed scheme?"

        JT, the stage is yours.  I'm awfully busy right now.  Too many irons in the fire.  Hope everyone leaves me alone for a couple of weeks (wishful thinking).
        Have a great day.