Re: FW: [40Whacks] Jay

  • Jay Selberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 9, 2004
      Angelina would only work for me if she fattens up a bit.  She is thin, Lizzie wasn't.  (That was my complaint about Elizabeth Montgomery's portrayal, too.  And I liked that movie!)

      Jay

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 11, 2004

        Kathleen wrote:

        According to the psychiatrist’s argument, the locked doors and front stairs represent the aftermath of incest –Lizzie protecting herselves when she got old enough to refuse to participate.  To the psychiatrist, the set-up of the house suggested a previous pattern of incest, not a current one.

        ***Thanks, Kathleen – I was going to mention this.  Other interesting points in the article include:

                    ***files from child protection agencies in the late 19th century revealed that 36% of reported incest occurred in households where the mother was absent.

                    ***victims dealing with repressed memories would become neurotic without knowing why, similar to the confused feelings Lizzie reported to Alice Russell the night before the murders.

                    ***incest victims who kill their abusers don’t feel remorse for their actions.  They are “forced to numb their real emotions for so long, by the time of the parricide they have no tears.”

        Why did Lizzie kill?  This is the heart of the Borden case – what combination of factors made her take the axe…

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2004
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2004
            Hi,
            Okay, it always seemed to me that Lizzie's rage was primarily directed at Abby, and that she had to kill her father (with much less enthusiasm) because he would know that she did the murder.

            So, if that is the case, did she kill Abby because of the money/resentment thing or was she angry at Abby as her surrogate mother for not protecting her against her abuser?

            Just asking.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 13, 2004

              Muriel wrote:

              This business of locked doors, repressed memories causing her to be neurotic eaxplained Lizzie's confused conversation with Alice the night before the murders, would hold water only IF Lizzie WAS guilty.

              **Since she was guilty, then it obviously holds water…

              Hiram Harrington called Lizzie domineering, hateful and spiteful.

              ***I’ll accept Harrington’s opinion over yours.  His wife Lurana (Andrews’s sister) and the Whitehead’s had a unique perspective on the Lizzie/Abby dynamic.  When the murders happened, they knew the who and the why.

              ---WHODUNIT???
              ---