LBQ Demise

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2003

      Don’t know if any of you subscribed to the Lizzie Borden Quarterly, but it finally bought the farm.

      I recall an article I submitted to them several years ago.  It was a Maplecroft piece, but I made the grievous error of declaring Lizzie guilty at the conclusion.  Editor Maynard Bertolet, while conceding it was “interesting and well written”, refused to publish unless I amended my verdict on Lizzie.

      Seems I engaged in too much speculation with facts not on the record.  I offered up my footnotes and citations, but they weren’t “objective”.  When I pointed out that he ran several articles by Fritz Adilz, a writer who engaged every possible speculative conspiracy theory (he had villains lining up outside the door to kill the Bordens!), Mr. Bertolet was silent.

      He finally said I was “just too certain, too positive” about Lizzie’s guilt.  The piece never ran, depriving LBQ subscribers of  the juicy Maplecroft tidbits that I’ve shared with this group.

      Revisionist Lizzie Borden historians like to portray her as a Victorian woman of mystery.  Seems it’s not politically correct (nor conducive to Fall River tourism) to expose her for the double murderess she is.

      Like I said before:  Objectivity never solved a murder case…

      JT

    • peggy bragg
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2003
        Do you by chance still have the article?  I'd love to read it.  iowababe

[...]

        Login To Lycos Mail
      • Autumn
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2003
          I subscribed to the LBQ for several years, was a real
          shock to get the last one entitled "Good bye Lizzie
          Borden". :-( I'm really sorry JT that they never
          published your article, I bet it was a good one. :-)

          Autumn

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2003
            Hi J.T,,
            I was sorry to see the end of the LBQ, and I was rather surprised about your article not being published.  It's a shame since I enjoy the speculation more than anything....their loss.