Re: [40Whacks] Mill Work Ain't Easy as James Taylor Sings

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2003
      Hi Pat:
      You got my drift.  The rich heaped the rewards.  About the time of the murders, the rich complained about the cost of spindles!!  Three cents each.  Hell, that was 60% the cost of a loaf of bread.  It almost makes you feel sorry for them, doesn't it?  Yeah, right.

      One thing Victoria Lincoln wrote in her book that irritated me was when she said she understood Bridget as she grew up with Bridgets.  I sure would have liked to have talked to some of her "Bridgets" who took care of her as she was growing up.  I believe her father was a banker and on par with the mill owners.  Work or get fired.  Get hurt and there was always the poor house.

      Hey Pat, don't you find it amusing when, in their wills, they leave thousands to help a hospital or some other organization.  This money they give out of the generosity of their hearts, AFTER THEY DIE AND DON'T NEED IT ANYMORE.  Are they trying to buy their way into heaven?  I'm not including Lizzie among these people, as so much about her generosity was done during her lifetime.  Oh well, that's their problem.

      Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 12:49 PM
      Subject: [40Whacks] Mill Work Ain't Easy as James Taylor Sings

      In a message dated 9/9/2003 12:34:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, muriela@... writes:

      It would  give the tourists a sample as to how it feels to be deaf.

      At a former job, the boss was/is a .... I suppose grandson of the founder of Durfee mills in Fall River. I asked him once if he ever feels bad that his fortune (which he and his brothers maintained) were off the backs of working people. He t all confused and said "What??" He didn't even understand the question which gave me my answer.

      At the same office, it came out that another fellow working there... his grandparents emigrated from Russia and worked in the mills in Fall River. When I told him about the boss's history, he laughed and said, "80 years later, and we're still working for the same family!"

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2003
        I realize how much my view of Lizzie has changed through this list. I think
        (and I hate to admit this) that I bought into the recluse Lizzie who either
        lived her life out behind closed doors and died so friendless that she had to
        give her estate money to animal charities because she had no people friends.

        I also think the titilation of "was Lizzie a lesbian?" blinds people to the
        fact that she led a fairly normal life. I read the entire post-acquittal
        section of Lizzie Borden Past and Present and she had friends, she went on trips to
        NY, Boston and Providence to go shopping, she went to church, she maintained
        and improved her home, she had friends, she took an interest in the birds and
        squirrels and neighborhood kids; she took an interest in her own appearance;
        she cooked and baked for others.

        Although the details are sketchy, she also had a romance with a man --- I
        think she did a hell of a job of living her life, after having been acquitted of
        a double murder with an axe.

        Muriel has got me thinking of the Maplecroft engraving and I sort of want to
        believe that as discreet as Lizzie tried to be, it was a small way where she
        was thumbing her nose to the town.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2003
          In a message dated 9/10/2003 12:14:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, muriela@... writes:

          Sorry to disagree with you about "Maplecroft" inscription being Lizzie's
          discreet way of thumbing her nose at those who ostracized her

          Hi Muriel -- You can disagree any time -- doesn't bother me... that's the fun of the group. If we all agreed, we wouldn't have much to talk about!

          Anyway, so if you disagree with me, WHY do you think Lizzie enscribed it? Do you (at least) agree it was out of character for her low-key life?

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2003
            Hi Pat:
            Sorry to disagree with you about "Maplecroft" inscription being Lizzie's
            discreet way of thumbing her nose at those who ostracized her.

            I will defend Lizzie any day in showing her innocent of the murders. I
            never dreamed I'd be defending her after the murders.
            Seems I am a lot like she was. If you don't care to have me in your group,
            the hell with you. I feel, like me, Lizzie was a loner and enjoyed being
            so. It still surprises me when I'm told by a relative that someone told him
            that they like me. What pops into my mind is: Why?

            All one needs is one other person to confide in. The rest can go fly a
            kite. My phone bill would tell anyone who my other person is. It's my
            sister in Florida. She is my grown-up kids' favorite aunt. Proof:

            My daughter, in Georgia, a two hour drive away, came to spend the weekend
            with us. She went back home and told her husband, a plumber, that my sister
            had a leaky kitchen faucet. The following weekend, both showed up in
            different vehicles. My son-in-law turned off the water, replaced her
            faucets, then said he had to get back home. He got a thank you and a cup of
            coffee for his trouble.

            I guess what I am trying to say is that I seldom call or visit anyone, yet
            when I meet someone I hadn't seen in several years, they behave as though I
            was a long lost friend. Again the question, why?

            Author of Lizzie Borden Hands of Time

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2003
              Hi Pat:
              As for why Lizzie inscribed "Maplecroft" on those steps, I say no way did she do it.

              Look at this a different way.  You see something that looks real nice and you tell your sister you like the sound of it.  That does not mean you were responsible for it.  I still say that the original owner's wife may have been responsible to having that done and had her own reasons for doing so.  The reason(s) didn't have to be special ones either.  How many times have you done something and someone asked you why you had done it and you replied:  "I don't know.  I just felt like it."

              Inscribing "Maplecroft" on those steps could have been done on a whim.  You cannot deny the possibility that the builder of those steps asked the owner if he wanted anything inscribed on the steps at  no extra cost and showed them examples.  They liked the word "Maplecroft" and so it was done.

              To me, the only thing which could possibly compete with Lizzie Borden would be for Fall River to put one of the smaller mills into operation and I don't mean 100%.  Even if they had but one thing working on each floor and a tour guide to explain how many machines the larger mills operated, then Fall River would have another major attraction.

              The one drawback would be the fire department, as  the oil slick floors would be a major fire hazard.  Walked in the house one day.  The TV was on and a huge building was ablaze.  Fall River flashed into my mind.  Sure enough, it was the Kerr Mills going up in a fiery blaze which they were unable to extinguish.

              Looking at Fall River from a distance, so to speak, Fall River is a fire trap.  Like in the 1980's when Notre Dame burned down.  By the time the fire department got the fires under control, some 20 buildings had gone with it.  It's scary just to look at those three story tenement houses, built some 100 years ago, and seeing them as relics just waiting their turn to be turned into cinders.