Re: [40Whacks] Lizzie loved Abby?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25 9:13 PM
      Hi Pat:
      Lizzie naming her new home Maplecroft, I have not explanation for that.  I have never tried to read Lizzie's mind or take note of her actions after she moved there.  The fact remains that she stayed in Fall River and like it or not, she showed the snobs around her weren't going to make her leave.  She was innocent and took her stand.

      If you've read Radin's book, you will see where he gave a couple of examples of maids killing their employers over petty grievances.  Even today it is even more apparent if people getting killed for next to nothing.

      Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 9:32 PM
      Subject: Re: [40Whacks] Lizzie loved Abby?

      In a message dated 8/25/2003 10:09:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, muriela@... writes:

      You cannot say their moving up on the hill tended to show differently.

      I disagree with that as the two neighborhoods are just so entirely different. It's was a complete lifestyle change for Lizzie. I also think her naming the house -- which is basically in a typical neighborhood where houses are not that far apart -- her naming this house Maplecroft and having that chiseled into the front porch as if it were the name of an grand estate does show "differently".

      Even though I think Lizzie did it, this is odd, but I like her. I have really tried to keep an open mind about your theories of Bridget, but her "going postal" just doesn't make sense to me. If that were valid, there'd be a whole lot more servants (and employees) killing their bosses.

      Pat in NY

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26 8:20 AM
        In a message dated 8/26/2003 12:07:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, muriela@... writes:

        The fact remains that she stayed in Fall River and like it or not, she showed the snobs around her weren't going to make her leave.

        Most books characterize a "poor Lizzie" living her life out in Fall River as some sort of outcast and leaving her estate to animal groups. If you look at her will, she appears to have had a social group of friends and she wasn't this recluse leaving her fortune to a dog.

        I was flipping around tv last night and came upon a show about prostitutes in the west in the 1870-1900 period, and the show talked about how actresses were also tainted and even though they were not prostitutes they had the same social standing. The show gave an example from a woman's diary where she had rented a room to two women who she thought were upstanding citizens, only to find out that they were actresses and threw them out mid-month. Of course I thought of Lizzie's Nance.

        To me, her friendship with the theater types was the decision of a woman who was financially on her own and could make her own decisions and chose the "fun" one. Those parties at Maplecroft had to be more fun than the local church supper.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26 8:47 PM
          Hi Pat:
          Florence Brigham, a former curator of the Fall River Historical Society for years, told me her mother-in-law, the Mary Brigham who stood by Lizzie from the time of the inquest till some time after the trial, always refused to talk about Lizzie, even to her.  Florence said Mary may have been instrumental in getting Lizzie to buy the French Street house, as she lived around the corner.  Florence did say Mary dropped Lizzie from her social list due to peer pressure.

          Speaking of Maplecroft, a house I have no interest in, something came to mind.  Was it Lizzie who had Maplecroft chiseled in the top step leading to the house, or was that inscription already there when she and Emma bought it?

          All "Maplecroft" shows me is that it doesn't take people long to put their own interpretation on whatever someone does.  If Lizzie is the one who had it done, what was her reason for having done so?  Maybe she did it for make the house look more classy, not intending to show-off as her being someone special.