Maplecroft for Sale

    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003

      I see where Robert Dube has put Maplecroft on the market.  All anyone would need is a cool $750,000 to buy Lizzie’s dream house today.  Righteous bucks, indeed!  (Lizzie and Emma paid $11,000 in 1893)

      Perhaps the 40 Whacks group could swing it.  I would kill to live in that house!  And I wouldn’t be the first…

      Seriously, I appreciate the nice response to my little Maplecroft poem/soliloquy/monologue.   I had a vivid dream of Maplecroft the night before, and wrote that on the computer from a few notes and with no edit.  I’m working on a longer version with better flow, and will post when finished.

      The Rebello book has some revealing insights from the Lizbeth of Maplecroft era.  Check out that note she wrote to her neighbor about the crowing bird (“I am very nervous…”)

      JT

    • Dave Radtke
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        Wow, JT.
        Did you see a listing for it somewhere?

        Not that I could afford it, but I'd love to see the real estate description of the property.

        -Dave

        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2003
          I was trying to look at the Fall River newspaper site to see if there were an article about the house, but I could only find a letter to the editor about how the mayor is not supporting Maplecroft as a historical site.

          From another site, this is the supposed listing for the house:

          "Maplecroft: Home of Lizzie Borden 1893 through 1927, in the Historic Highlands. Retains the splendor of the late 1800's. Sprawling 3-story Queen Anne; this sensational historical home is a rare find. 14 rooms include: 6 BDRM, library, den, LR, DR, billiard room, 3 full baths and 2 half baths. Impressive woodwork, including finely detailed mantles, mahogany cornice trim, beamed ceilings, wainscoting, 6 fireplaces, Italian arches, stained glass windows and much more. Exceptional sun porch on front of home and an impressive shade porch on the rear side, overlooking garden. Conveniently located steps from hospital. Easy access to I-195 and Route 24. It's a phenomenal buy priced at only $725000."

          --Pat in NY