RE: [40Whacks] Maplecroft Story

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003

      Sorry JT, but I did read it in a newspaper that my sisters and I xeroxed at Taunton.  This was in 1982 or 1983.  My mother had company and I remember reading them the article.  That started a  lively discussion.  I even remember that I was in the dining room at the time.  I say McHenry had already started selling weird stories to different newspapers.

      ***Sorry, Muriel, but the Rebello book catalogs with citation every article written by the McHenry/Trickey team about Lizzie (as well as every other newspaper article ever written about the case).  It was a grand total of ONE.  Published October 10, 1892 in the Boston Globe and picked up by the Fall River Daily Globe, this sole attempt to libel Lizzie was retracted (with apology) by both papers two days later.  Trickey, who based the ludicrous article on McHenry’s information, of course was killed while trying to board a train in Canada two months later – McHenry faded into obscurity after a short stretch in prison.

           I can’t fathom why you give such weight to McHenry.  The guy was a stooge.  Let it go.

           And Knowlton, whom you constantly malign, was just trying to do his job, and a thankless one at that.

      And Group – The Rebello book “Lizzie Borden Past and Present”, is a MUST HAVE!

      .

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2003
        JT:
        You say Knowlton was just trying to do his job.

        Knowlton was in a fix.  His star witness, Bridget, he was stuck with.  No matter how many times the reporters, seeking to earn the $5,000, told him at least three times that he had arrested the wrong person, but Knowlton would not listen.  He KNEW Lizzie was guilty less than a week after the murders and, seeing he knew she was guilty, guilty she would be.  He never ever tried to find out if she possible could have been innocent.  Bridget, who aimed to please, did her best to keep him believing that.  It was political.  He was determined he would become the next Attorney General of Mass.

        Rebello did an exceedingly good job with his book.  I have .less than 100 pages to go.  It is as he said, that he did not try to solve the case.

        Oh, the McHenry-Trickey affair was the only one both were involved in.  I was talking about stories McHenry, by himself, sold to different newspapers.  The Providence Journal mentioned one in which they had paid him $500 for.  Several times McHenry had other newsmen chasing down his stories.

        One last thing.  no author ever attacked Knowlton.  He was treated with kid gloves.  Here was a man just doing his job, while at the same time, anyone reading between the lines can't help but notice that here was a man who could not take criticism.  One of his grandsons told Mrs. Brigham, the former curator of the Historical Society that his grandfather was one who would not tolerate anyone disagreeing with him.  His word was law, right or wrong.  I can't help but wonder how many went to jail because he argued so eloquently that the jury found an innocent guilty who was actually innocent.