Bundy Resolution

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002

      If you’ve been following along, I’m trying to determine if 14 year old future serial killer Ted Bundy abducted and murdered 8 year old Ann Marie Burr August 31, 1961 in Tacoma Washington.  It’s for an article I’m writing for “Snitch” Magazine, a Cincinnati true crime tabloid.

      Sorry for the delay between postings, but it represents an accurate picture of the time frame I spent on this thing.

      On the last post I was preparing to download a map of Tacoma with all pertinent addresses in my possession.

      What I discovered changed my perception of this case:

                  ***Using Ted Bundy’s street address from 1961 and the block # of the street the Burr’s lived on, I have concluded that they lived between 3.2 to 3.5 miles apart!  Not just the “several blocks away” that Ann Rule and others claim.

                  ***Using the street address of Ted’s Uncle and the block # of the street where Ann Marie took piano lessons, I have concluded that although both houses were on the same street, they were 10 blocks and 1.2 miles apart, not next door to each other as Rule and others claim.

                  ***Based on these logistics, I have concluded that Ted Bundy did not murder Ann Marie Burr.

      What we have here is an urban legend.  The facts about Bundy/Burr have blurred; creating the impression the case against Bundy is much stronger that it really is.

      To me it’s all in the logistics.  I just don’t believe a 14 year old boy could operate with such criminal cunning that far away from his own neighborhood.

      When I was 14, I never spent any time in unfamiliar neighborhoods that were 3-1/2 miles away from my home.

      Listen to Bundy himself, shortly before his execution:  “It’s all the way across town, really, from where I – as a kid – hung out and had my paper route…for a kid, where the Burr’s lived, as it relates to where I lived, it was in a different part of the world…different schools, different high schools.  Never went to that area.  It was just another part of the forest…”

      I believe him, because that’s the way I felt about the areas of Cincinnati that far away from where I grew up.

      WHAT DO YOU THINK?  I would value any feedback from the group on this one.  Did any of you roam that far away when you were 14?  Perhaps to a serial killer in training this was no big deal.

      But I also know Bundy was raised in a strict environment by his mother and step-father.  His mother said she was pregnant at the time of the Burr abduction, adding  There’s no way he’d have gotten out of the house at night without us knowing it.  I was a light sleeper, always up and about a lot.”

      I will repeat any information already posted or answer additional questions.  I’d like to use some of your input in my article.  And I appreciate the group letting me use you as a test audience.

      But then we all love a real mystery, don’t we…

      JT  from Cincy

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002
        Hi JT,
        Since I'm old like you, I remember what the times were like then.   Even though it was a much more relaxed atmosphere, I also believe that I would not have ventured into unfamiliar territory.  When we went out you could go anywhere as long as you were in by the time the streetlights came on, but it would be where you felt comfortable.  Plus isn't it true that serial killers like Bundy work in a "comfort zone".  Wouldn't that be more relevant if he were just "starting out"?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2002

          Yo Patsy!

          Just because we can remember when the Dead Sea was just sick, doesn’t make us old…

          Thank you for the response.  Yeah, that’s the way I recall it too.

          Bundy’s comfort zone was Organized and Nomadic.  He was “organized” because he hid the bodies rather than leaving them at the scene, and “nomadic” because he crossed county and state jurisdictions and depended on non-cooperation between police agency’s.

          Most serial killers start out slowly and tentatively, yet the Ann Marie Burr disappearance was a perfect crime.  If she was 14 year old Ted’s first victim then he had one hell of a debut as a serial killer.

          I have cross checked these addresses with the Tacoma Reporter, and its good information.  Odd that a famous crime writer like Ann Rule would miss this…  And she got a bit testy when I informed her via email of my findings!  She and Tacoma Detective turned author Bob Keppel are on the record that Bundy killed Ann Marie Burr.

          She responded that “Ted was a paperboy for the morning paper.  I don’t know how far his route was from his house.”   She also lamented “I’d just as soon forget about Ted.  I’ve talked about him until I was blue in the face, and it’s not a happy memory.”

          I will share more of my correspondence with her if anyone is interested.  But I need more from the group!!!

          Didn’t 14 year old paperboys usually deliver a route close to their homes?  Could Ted’s route have taken him 3.5 miles away from where he lived?

          I’d love to pin this on Ted Bundy.  But right now that dog just don’t hunt…