Re: [40Whacks] Digest Number 265

  • Laura James
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29 7:26 PM
      Hi Leslie,
      didn't make it to Fall River (yet) but I'd love to go.
      since you're looking for the good stuff my favorite Lizzie books are
      1) A Private Disgrace - Victoria Lincoln. How I wish I could read this for
      the first time again!! It was really satisfying to read a lot of different
      books about the case and THEN read this one. It was one "Aha!!" moment after
      another, reading that book. For me anyway. but then I think she dunnit :)
      just ignore the baloney about epilepsy.
      2) Lizzie Borden Sourcebook (newspaper clippings from the trial coverage -
      absolutely mesmerizing and the quality of some of the writing is stunning!)
      3) Lizzie - Frank Spiering - well written; quite a bit about the years after
      the trial.
      4) A& E Biography video about Lizzie - can buy on Amazon

      better yet - here's a list of books best avoided (or at least don't pay full
      price)!!
      1) Lizzie, by Evan Hunter
      2) Elizabeth Engstrom's fictionalized Lizzie - absolutely awful
      3) Yesterday in Old Fall River, A Lizzie Borden Companion - an encyclopedia
      listing all those people even remotely connected to the case (usually REAL
      remote). Kinda cool but duplicative of info in the Sourcebook and much more
      dry. I am a Lizzie devotee and I couldn't get past page 10!
      cheers,
      Laura
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        Hi Laura:
        Victoria Lincoln's epilepsy wasn't the only baloney. It took me two years
        to make my mother change her mind. When I said it was Bridget, she said:
        "Oh no, it couldn't have been Bridget because she was CATHOLIC!!! Then my
        mother said it was Lizzie and Bridget. Took another two years to convince
        her it was Bridget alone.
        Joyce Williams at the Lizzie Borden Three Day Conference was telling the
        audience that Lizzie had been in complete control the day of the murders.
        Someone raised his hand and said that I, another speaker didn't not seem to
        agree with her and he wanted to know why.
        I told him that when Miss Russell came to the house, she told Lizzie to go
        sit down in the kitchen. Lizzie did. Then they told Lizzie to go lie down
        on the dining room sofa. Lizzie did. Then around 12, Dr. Bowen told Lizzie
        to go to her room. Lizzie did that also.
        Whoever heard of a murderer just sitting there letting the police and
        reporters going all through the house and ignoring them completely?
        I wonder if Tesch is going to give us another story come Christmas time?
        He had Mrs. Whitehead leaving the clambake at Rocky Point and returning to
        Fall River to do the killing.

        Author of Lizzie Borden Hands of Time

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/