Re: Chicken Little 3-D theaters and dates (even international)

  • Deepa
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2005
      Hi All

      I should have introduced myself.
      I am Phil McNally better known (to myself) as Captain 3D. My wife is Deepa and I use
      her yahoo account.

      I am a Brit now living in California (5 years) working as a stereographer and animator.
      I made my first stereo image in 1991 and have been an enthusiast ever since.

      Find out more at www.captain3d.com

      I worked at ILM on the Stereo Chicken Little. I supervised all the stereo settings for
      every shot except the few that Disney re rendered themselves last minute. My criteria
      was to hold back, place everything behind the stereo window and avoid divergence.
      The Stereoscopic Society would be proud of me.

      For the most part this is how it is but of course I could not hold off the requests for
      eye poking 3D indefinitly and ultimately some of that was added. I still hope it is the
      most comfortable 3D film ever made. Let me know what you think.

      The Real-D process is fantastic. Imagine 10 years ago saying there will be a single
      projector that can display perfectly synced, aligned, illuminated, scratch and dirt free
      stereo. Well that is what we have today.

      The projector is a 2k digital projector made by Christie. The movie is digital, stored
      on a dual stream hard drive server made by Dolby. The server feeds the dual channels
      into the projector. The projector shows them alternately at 144 hertz LRLRLR per
      frame. In front of the single lens is a circular polariser that flips in sync with the
      frames. The rest you know...silver screen and matching specs. Circular polarised not
      your normal linear type. You can even tilt your head.

      Real-D is the company that makes the magic boxes that controls the whole system. A
      year from now they hope to have 1000 in theaters. The reason this should happen is
      because the projector is good for 2D movies as well and the studios are backing it
      because they want to get rid of expensive film prints.

      More 3D movies to come - hurray

      Phil
    • Sergio M Baldissara
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2005
        OPs! looks like this kinda stuff
        http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/11764
        Sergio

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2005
          > http://data.memberclicks.com/site/hopa/2005SS_3D_presentation.pdf
          > John

          Interesting stuff.
          Anyway this doc must be corrected, it says that anaglyph projection needs a
          non-depolarizing screen.
          Anybody of us knows this isn't true but this may be quite confusing for a
          newbie.
          Giorgio.
        • 3Dimka
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2005
            Thank you for comments and interesting information, Phil.
            Look forward to see Chicken Little 3-D in the local movie theater.
            And I like you 3D photos and pictures very much, thank you ;)
            3Dimka

            >Hi All
            >
            >I should have introduced myself.
            >I am Phil McNally better known (to myself) as Captain 3D. My wife is Deepa and I use
            >her yahoo account.
            >
            >I am a Brit now living in California (5 years) working as a stereographer and animator.
            >I made my first stereo image in 1991 and have been an enthusiast ever since.
            >
            >Find out more at www.captain3d.com
            >
            >I worked at ILM on the Stereo Chicken Little. I supervised all the stereo settings for
            >every shot except the few that Disney re rendered themselves last minute. My criteria
            >was to hold back, place everything behind the stereo window and avoid divergence.
            >The Stereoscopic Society would be proud of me.
            >
            >For the most part this is how it is but of course I could not hold off the requests for
            >eye poking 3D indefinitly and ultimately some of that was added. I still hope it is the
            >most comfortable 3D film ever made. Let me know what you think.
            >
            >The Real-D process is fantastic. Imagine 10 years ago saying there will be a single
            >projector that can display perfectly synced, aligned, illuminated, scratch and dirt free
            >stereo. Well that is what we have today.
            >
            >The projector is a 2k digital projector made by Christie. The movie is digital, stored
            >on a dual stream hard drive server made by Dolby. The server feeds the dual channels
            >into the projector. The projector shows them alternately at 144 hertz LRLRLR per
            >frame. In front of the single lens is a circular polariser that flips in sync with the
            >frames. The rest you know...silver screen and matching specs. Circular polarised not
            >your normal linear type. You can even tilt your head.
            >
            >Real-D is the company that makes the magic boxes that controls the whole system. A
            >year from now they hope to have 1000 in theaters. The reason this should happen is
            >because the projector is good for 2D movies as well and the studios are backing it
            >because they want to get rid of expensive film prints.
            >
            >More 3D movies to come - hurray
            >
            >Phil

          • Mike Monello
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 10, 2005
              I just saw Chicken Little 3D and was extremely impressed with the 3D
              projection and effects. Phil, your work really paid off -- walking out
              of the theater everyone was saying the 3D effects where "cool."

              The glasses handed out were plastic and very comfortable. The
              projection was bright and crisp -- the best digital projection I have
              seen yet. The film was very comfortable to watch, and the restraint
              worked well, with enough "coming at ya" effects to be enjoyable but
              not so many as to detract from the story.

              The film itself is a pastiche of references to other (better) movies.
              The script is pretty weak, but everything else holds up, so it's a
              decent flick. Not the waste of time some critics have claimed, but the
              story doesn't come near a Pixar production either.

              Stay through the credits for a fun little 3D moment at the very end!

              -Mike
              --
              Haxan Films
              http://www.haxan.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 10, 2005
                Hi Guys,

                Maybe somebody on the group could help. South Africa does not have a single
                3D cinema. I contacted IMAX America and they were very keen on allowing me a
                operations license in South Africa, but the British License holder objected
                and I was declined.

                Our 5 Imax NON 3D imax theatre's dwindled down to the last remaining 2. I
                can't imagine why they did not go with the 3D idea when they saw the
                cinema's folding.

                I recently made contact with Lucas Arts after following a link on one of the
                posts. The initial contact welcomed the idea of a screening of chicken
                little 3D and told me he would be referring the e-mail to the person
                responsible.

                Two weeks later and still nothing more than silence. Does anybody on the
                list know who would be a good person to contact in this regard.

                Thanks

                Andre
              • Deepa
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 12, 2005
                  You should contact...

                  www.reald.com

                  They make the projector system for regular theaters and will be expanding world
                  wide...Phil

                  --- In 3dtv@yahoogroups.com, "Andre" <dbvs@g...> wrote:

                  > Hi Guys,
                  >
                  > Maybe somebody on the group could help. South Africa does not have a single
                  > 3D cinema. I contacted IMAX America and they were very keen on allowing me a
                  > operations license in South Africa, but the British License holder objected
                  > and I was declined.
                  >
                  > Our 5 Imax NON 3D imax theatre's dwindled down to the last remaining 2. I
                  > can't imagine why they did not go with the 3D idea when they saw the
                  > cinema's folding.
                  >
                  > I recently made contact with Lucas Arts after following a link on one of the
                  > posts. The initial contact welcomed the idea of a screening of chicken
                  > little 3D and told me he would be referring the e-mail to the person
                  > responsible.
                  >
                  > Two weeks later and still nothing more than silence. Does anybody on the
                  > list know who would be a good person to contact in this regard.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Andre

                • Andre
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 12, 2005
                    Thanks I will

                    Andre

                    They make the projector system for regular theaters and will be expanding
                    world
                    wide...Phil

                    --- In 3dtv@yahoogroups.com, "Andre" <dbvs@g...> wrote:

                    > Hi Guys,
                    >
                    > Maybe somebody on the group could help. South Africa does not have a
                    single
                    > 3D cinema. I contacted IMAX America and they were very keen on allowing me
                    > operations license in South Africa, but the British License holder
                    objected
                    > and I was declined.
                    >
                    > Our 5 Imax NON 3D imax theatre's dwindled down to the last remaining 2. I
                    > can't imagine why they did not go with the 3D idea when they saw the
                    > cinema's folding.
                    >
                    > I recently made contact with Lucas Arts after following a link on one of
                    the
                    > posts. The initial contact welcomed the idea of a screening of chicken
                    > little 3D and told me he would be referring the e-mail to the person
                    > responsible.
                    >
                    > Two weeks later and still nothing more than silence. Does anybody on the
                    > list know who would be a good person to contact in this regard.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Andre

                    to get started using this 3d video group, visit
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/links/_README__001076403311/
                    Yahoo! Groups Links