RE: [3D-Stereograms] Autostereogram wiki page - suggested corrections / Fred

  • Fred Hsu
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 1, 2006

      href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram#Random_dot_autostereogram">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram#Random_dot_autostereogram>."
      href="http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psych221/projects/03/jgin/types.htm">http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psych221/projects/03/jgin/types.htm
      >  for reference

      I think this whole issue of classification will need to wait until I fix inline references.  Can we do this later?  Also, the main article is not supposed to link to pages outside of wikipedia.

      > Usually, a *single* hidden 3D shape emerges when the image is viewed

      > with proper convergence.
      > Why *single* ? Opposite to multiply floaters?

      I re-wrote the lead paragraphs last night in a hurry.  I just re-wrote that sentence.  Thanks.

      > It could be a mistake here. Converging two eyes will cause the wall to

      > float in front of real wall and visa verse diverging will cause the
      > virtual plane to appear behind real wall.

      Keep in mind that this paragraph is a summary of the section “Mechanisms for viewing”.  In the latter section, the whole process is explained in depth with accompanying pictures.

      Even though the first section uses the word ‘convergence’, it is really talking about wall-eye viewing (most the article assumes wall-eye viewing).  As you know, in reality, the two eyes can’t really diverge.  The two eyes must always converge.  When we talk about divergence, we are really saying “the two eyes converge with an angle less than the usual convergence angle”.  In other words, it’s a ‘relatively divergent view”.

      See this image:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stereogram_Tut_Eye_Convergence.png

      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 1, 2006
        > I think this whole issue of classification will need to wait until I
        > fix inline references.  Can we do this later?  Also, the main article
        > is not supposed to link to pages outside of wikipedia.

        Fred, You are doing the heavy lifting on this. Although I frequently
        reference Wikipedia, I am a bit adverse to editing it. But if I can
        ever be of any assistance to your effort with this, please feel free to
        contact me, and I will be glad to contribute to you whatever I can.
        Gene