Re: IWISTER #2

  • Gem
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
      Now I do like the idea of this... it views very well in 3d projection.
      I feel that the permitted angles are far too generous, though. You could make the keys step in 90 degree increments with extra frames added to give an animation effect.
      If you want to leave the possiblity of hexagonal pieces then 15 degree steps would also work quite well, but it is hard to manage the 3d rotation permutations then.
      Similarly the translation keys could fit to a grid, but with extra frames of animation.
      Think of tetris, where the pieces can only move on the grid, but a good implementation adds extra frams to allow the eye to accept the movement.

      --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, andy@... wrote:

      > Hi Ute
      >
      > Glad you like it, thanks!
      >
      > Yes, I thought a lot about mouse control. There are a couple of
      > reasons I went with keyboard controls eventually:
      >
      > First, the mouse is a two-dimensional input device, and to add the
      > third dimension (eg using the mouse wheel, or Ctl key etc) would be
      > quite confusing, I believe. Although, I am still considering that for
      > a future IWISTER.
      >
      > The second reason is more technical: the Java applet that contains app
      > only responds to mouse input as long as the pointer is within the
      > applet, and with this particular IWISTER, your pointer can easily
      > wander out of range while you're staring at the piece you're
      > manipulating. Again, the future IWISTER I'm thinking of will be more
      > appropriate for mouse control, because you'll actually have to point
      > at things in the app.
      >
      > Thanks for the feedback!
      >
      > CHeers,
      > Andy
      >

      > Quoting ute <utekass@...>:
      >
      > > WOW!!! This one is really difficult... I like it!
      > > BTW Have you ever thought of mouse support...?

    • Leon Sarfati
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
        Gem is right.  This is exactly what IWISTER #2 needs.  This way, the user can focus on solving the problem instead of fiddling around with the keys.

        Now I do like the idea of this... it views very well in 3d projection.
        I feel that the permitted angles are far too generous, though. You could make the keys step in 90 degree increments with extra frames added to give an animation effect.
        If you want to leave the possiblity of hexagonal pieces then 15 degree steps would also work quite well, but it is hard to manage the 3d rotation permutations then.
        Similarly the translation keys could fit to a grid, but with extra frames of animation.
        Think of tetris, where the pieces can only move on the grid, but a good implementation adds extra frams to allow the eye to accept the movement.

        --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, andy@... wrote:

        > Hi Ute
        >
        > Glad you like it, thanks!
        >
        > Yes, I thought a lot about mouse control. There are a couple of
        > reasons I went with keyboard controls eventually:
        >
        > First, the mouse is a two-dimensional input device, and to add the
        > third dimension (eg using the mouse wheel, or Ctl key etc) would be
        > quite confusing, I believe. Although, I am still considering that for
        > a future IWISTER.
        >
        > The second reason is more technical: the Java applet that contains app
        > only responds to mouse input as long as the pointer is within the
        > applet, and with this particular IWISTER, your pointer can easily
        > wander out of range while you're staring at the piece you're
        > manipulating. Again, the future IWISTER I'm thinking of will be more
        > appropriate for mouse control, because you'll actually have to point
        > at things in the app.
        >
        > Thanks for the feedback!
        >
        > CHeers,
        > Andy
        >

        > Quoting ute <utekass@...>:
        >
        > > WOW!!! This one is really difficult... I like it!
        > > BTW Have you ever thought of mouse support...?

      • 3Dimka Bessmertny
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2011
          Hi Andy,

          It took me a while to check your new games out, for some reason java didn't work on my W7 machine.
          The IWister was a piece of cake, I got to "Going Xi Fa Cai" in a couple of minutes. But the cube puzzle was too hard for me to solve.

          I like using vector stereogram rendering for interactive games like these. It's simple and fast enough for animation.
          I'll add hyperlinks to your games on my website, very cool stuff!

          3Dimka ;)

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011

            Thanks for the suggestion, Gem and Leon . I agree that this particular puzzle would benefit from a limited set of angles and positions for the pieces.

            Changing that, however, would require quite a fundamental redesign of the game, because of the way I implemented it. I set out to make an interactive stereogram with as much freedom of movement as possible, so the unrestrained rotation and translation was a desired outcome. This particular application of the concept would be easier with more constraints, though, I agree.

            What I can do to make it easier is to increase the distance at which the pieces snap together, so it doesn’t require that much fiddling… And together with a speed booster, that should make the game more about the puzzle than the controls.

            Thanks again for the feedback!

            Cheers,

            Andy

            target="_blank" ymailto="mailto:3D-Stereograms%40yahoogroups.com">3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2011

              Hi 3Dimka

              Sorry to hear about the difficulties with java. I know that some browsers (Chrome being one) have problems with the applet, too. Used to be ok, but now no longer… To my knowledge, there’s not much I can do about that.

              I will let you all know when the easier version is released, then you can have another go… ; )

              Thanks for the link, I appreciate that!   (BTW, I noticed my first two 3D riDDles are featured in your list, but 3D riDDle III isn’t…  ; )

            • andy@andygiger.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 13, 2011
                Hi everyone

                The Puzzle Cube IWISTER has been improved. Both translation and rotation
                now accelerate when you hold down the key, and the pieces snap together
                more easily now.

                The result is a much smoother game play, so you might want to have another
                go at it... ;-) The URL is still the same: http://andygiger.com/iwister.

                Cheers,
                Andy