wish list: famous/pretty bridges

  • David
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 12, 2011
      Hi All,

      I've been thinking:  What I'd really like to see are MTS's of accurately modeled bridges, such as the Brooklyn and Golden Gate.  Maybe this is because I recently read David McCullough's book The Great Bridge, the cover of which looks like this:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000QXDGL6/ref=dp_otherviews_z_0?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&img=0

      I can actually envision a whole book of stereograms devoted to cool-looking bridges from various perspectives.  I would buy that book.  Creating models with geometry correctly corresponding to reality may require some effort.  Maybe one of you would like to try to make a stereogram like this (or maybe somebody already has), or maybe I will find the time and acquire the necessary skill...

      Thanks,
      David

    • Fred Hsu

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 13, 2011

          Hi all

          This may not be exactly what you had in mind, but it is a semi-MTS of an accurately modeled bridge – a design by Leonardo Da Vinci for a portable, easily assembled bridge made from logs with some strategically placed grooves. Such a bridge is self-supporting without any nails or ropes, held together by its own weight – a pretty cool design. (Because this was designed for a large display, it’s a cross-eyed stereogram…)

          As it happens, I am also developing a new type of interactive stereogram that will allow you to manipulate scenes in 3D, and I may well use this bridge as a model eventually.

          Watch this space (but don’t hold your breath… ; )

          Cheers,

          Andy

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 24, 2011
            This one was little difficult for me although cross eyed stereograms really pop out at ya!
            3Dimka ;)
            http://hidden-3d.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011

              Hi all

              Here it is, my first truly interactive stereogram.

              It took me a few months – on and off – to develop the concept of a Wireframe Stereogram into something useful, but now I’m planning to apply this to a few interactive stereograms. This first one was just in time for Chinese New Year this Thursday.

              The interactive applet at http://andygiger.com/iwister lets you use keyboard controls to guide the rabbit through the maze to the carrot, and turn the maze for easier viewing. (The new year is the Year of the Rabbit…)

              Hope you enjoy it (it’s for parallel viewing  ; )  and Gong Xi Fa Cai!

              Cheers,

              Andy

            • Fred Hsu
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011
                I like it! But I find the key layout slightly hard to master. Can't one use the numeric keypad instead? Or perhaps the arrow keys with optional shift/control/alt keys to change their functions (e.g. for forth/back and for rotating the image)

                I'll have more comment for you tonight when I have more free time

                Fred

                On Jan 31, 2011, at 8:44 AM, Andy Giger wrote:

                Hi all

                Here it is, my first truly interactive stereogram.

                It took me a few months – on and off – to develop the concept of a Wireframe Stereogram into something useful, but now I’m planning to apply this to a few interactive stereograms. This first one was just in time for Chinese New Year this Thursday.

                The interactive applet at http://andygiger.com/iwister lets you use keyboard controls to guide the rabbit through the maze to the carrot, and turn the maze for easier viewing. (The new year is the Year of the Rabbit…)

                Hope you enjoy it (it’s for parallel viewing  ; )  and Gong Xi Fa Cai!

                Cheers,

                Andy

                <AndyGiger-iwister-bunny.jpg>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011
                    For me the interference of the neighbours means this doesn't offer much over a single-view maze?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 31, 2011
                      It's a three-dimensional maze. So you do need to rotate the view in order to better see some tracks.

                      Why is the rotation limited to about 45 degrees? Why shouldn't I be able to rotate the maze 360 degrees?

                      Fred

                      On Jan 31, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Gem wrote:

                      For me the interference of the neighbours means this doesn't offer much over a single-view maze?

                      --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, G Levine <mail.gene@...> wrote:

                      > The stereogram and concept are great, but I have to agree with Fred
                      > regarding the navigation keys. Arrow keys and/or numbers on keypad
                      > would make far more sense.
                      >
                      > Gene
                      >

                      > On 01 31, 11, at 5:44 AM, Andy Giger wrote:
                      >

                      > > Hi all
                      > >

                      > > Here it is, my first truly interactive stereogram.
                      > >

                      > > It took me a few months – on and off – to develop the concept of a
                      > > Wireframe Stereogram into something useful, but now I'm planning to
                      > > apply this to a few interactive stereograms. This first one was
                      > > just in time for Chinese New Year this Thursday.
                      > >

                      > > The interactive applet at http://andygiger.com/iwister lets you use
                      > > keyboard controls to guide the rabbit through the maze to the
                      > > carrot, and turn the maze for easier viewing. (The new year is the
                      > > Year of the Rabbit…)
                      > >

                      > > Hope you enjoy it (it's for parallel viewing ; ) and Gong Xi Fa Cai!
                      > >

                      > > Cheers,
                      > >
                      > > Andy
                      > >

                      > > <AndyGiger-iwister-bunny.jpg>

                    • gem stereo receiver
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011

                        Don't get me wrong, this is a start, but it needs something more.

                        I could do the view rotate thing with a single-view 3-D maze.

                        Perhaps colour would help, or thicker not-wireframe? The actual maze itself doesn't appear to be (much) larger than the tiling size, either, which is a bit confusing

                        Message Received: Jan 31 2011, 10:13 PM
                        From: "Fred Hsu"
                        To: 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com
                        Subject: Re: [3D-Stereograms] Re: IWISTER - the Interactive Wireframe Stereogram

                        --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, G Levine wrote:

                        > The stereogram and concept are great, but I have to agree with Fred
                        > regarding the navigation keys. Arrow keys and/or numbers on keypad
                        > would make far more sense.
                        >
                        > Gene
                        >

                        > On 01 31, 11, at 5:44 AM, Andy Giger wrote:
                        >

                        > > Hi all
                        > >

                        > > Here it is, my first truly interactive stereogram.
                        > >

                        > > It took me a few months – on and off – to develop the concept of a
                        > > Wireframe Stereogram into something useful, but now I'm planning to
                        > > apply this to a few interactive stereograms. This first one was
                        > > just in time for Chinese New Year this Thursday.
                        > >

                        > > The interactive applet at http://andygiger.com/iwister lets you use
                        > > keyboard controls to guide the rabbit through the maze to the
                        > > carrot, and turn the maze for easier viewing. (The new year is the
                        > > Year of the Rabbit…)
                        > >

                        > > Hope you enjoy it (it's for parallel viewing ; ) and Gong Xi Fa Cai!
                        > >

                        > > Cheers,
                        > >
                        > > Andy

                        /`
                        \T

                        =
                      • Andy Giger
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011

                          Thanks, everyone, for your great feedback!

                          Fred, Gene – I agree that the key layout is a bit awkward. The reason I didn’t go for the arrow keys was that they come in only two dimensions, but the use of Ctrl/Alt/Shift key combinations is a great idea. I’ll work on that and come up with an improved version soon…

                          Cheers,

                          Andy

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011

                            You’re absolutely right – I could let the maze be rotated 360 deg, as well as around the other two axes. The reason I restricted it was that the rabbit moves within the maze’s coordinates, so if I let the maze rotate 180 deg, say, then directing the rabbit left would move it right… and if the maze’s position was somewhere inbetween, it would get very confusing even if I tried to adjust the rabbit’s controls to the maze’s position. Restricting the rotation was the easiest way out.  ; )

                            href="http://andygiger.com/iwister">http://andygiger.com/iwister lets you use
                            > > keyboard controls to guide the rabbit through the maze to the
                            class=apple-converted-space>
                            > > carrot, and turn the maze for easier viewing. (The new year is the
                            class=apple-converted-space>
                            > > Year of the Rabbit…)
                            > >

                            > > Hope you enjoy it (it's for parallel viewing ; ) and Gong Xi Fa Cai!
                            > >

                            > > Cheers,
                            > >
                            > > Andy
                            > >

                            > > <AndyGiger-iwister-bunny.jpg>

                          • ute
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
                              I like it!

                              > an improved version soon...

                              Could you make the lines a bit thicker then...?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011

                                Thanks, Gem. I agree that the rabbit maze is not the most interesting or challenging content. My next couple of IWISTERs will be better in that respect, I hope…  ; )

                                I also realise that the wireframe format has its limitations. But it is the simplicity of the wireframe that allows me to animate the 3D content in real-time without massive re-rendering of all the surfaces. I’m still finding out how much I can push that and hope to make the next few applets a bit more exciting.

                                Thanks again for all your feedback!

                                Cheers,

                                Andy

                                From: "Fred Hsu"
                                To: 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com

                                It's a three-dimensional maze. So you do need to rotate the view in order to better see some tracks.

                                Why is the rotation limited to about 45 degrees? Why shouldn't I be able to rotate the maze 360 degrees?

                                Fred

                                On Jan 31, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Gem wrote:

                                For me the interference of the neighbours means this doesn't offer much over a single-view maze?

                                --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, G Levine wrote:

                                > The stereogram and concept are great, but I have to agree with Fred
                                > regarding the navigation keys. Arrow keys and/or numbers on keypad
                                > would make far more sense.
                                >
                                > Gene
                                >

                                > On 01 31, 11, at 5:44 AM, Andy Giger wrote:
                                >

                                > > Hi all
                                > >

                                > > Here it is, my first truly interactive stereogram.
                                > >

                                > > It took me a few months – on and off – to develop the concept of a
                                > > Wireframe Stereogram into something useful, but now I'm planning to
                                > > apply this to a few interactive stereograms. This first one was
                                > > just in time for Chinese New Year this Thursday.
                                > >

                                > > The interactive applet at http://andygiger.com/iwister lets you use
                                > > keyboard controls to guide the rabbit through the maze to the
                                > > carrot, and turn the maze for easier viewing. (The new year is the
                                > > Year of the Rabbit…)
                                > >

                                > > Hope you enjoy it (it's for parallel viewing ; ) and Gong Xi Fa Cai!
                                > >

                                > > Cheers,
                                > >
                                > > Andy

                                /`
                                \T

                                =

                              • Andy Giger
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011

                                  Thanks, Ute.   Ok, I’ll keep that in mind.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 1, 2011
                                    You're off to a good start.  Can't wait for the improved version.

                                  • Andy Giger
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 4, 2011

                                      Hi all

                                      The new version of the rabbit maze IWISTER is now live at http://andygiger.com/iwister.

                                      It has additional keyboard controls using the arrow keys with Shift and Ctrl key combinations, and the maze has slightly thicker lines.

                                      Now I’ll start working on the next IWISTER…  ; )

                                      Cheers,

                                      Andy

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 5, 2011
                                        Thanks, I never had a problem with the keyboard controls,
                                        but appreciate the new thicker lines!  :-)