Strings

  • Andrew D Giger (Dr)
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009

      Hi all

      Some time ago I said I would share some of the stereograms I made while developing my algorithm. Now I finally got around to putting together an annotated gallery on my website, for those who are interested. You can find it at http://andygiger.com/art/stereodev.html.

      The attached is a sample from that gallery. It's a stereogram I intended to paint by hand, but this version of it is embelished with a background that would be very hard to paint.

      This stereogram is meant for cross-eyed viewing, but if you ignore the background, parallel viewing works too.

      Cheers,

      Andy

      andygiger.com

      IMPORTANT NOTE:

      This message and any attachments may contain information from Science Centre Singapore that are classified as confidential or privileged, and are intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Communication of any information in this electronic mail to any unauthorized personnel is an offence punishable under law. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by electronic mail and delete it from your computer immediately.
    • ute
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
        Amazing! Would prefer a parallel version for the screen. Could you make one please...?
        (It also works as parallel view, but feels a bit strange...)

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ----
        IMPORTANT NOTE:

        This message and any attachments may contain information from Science Centre Singapore that are classified as confidential or privileged, and are intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Communication of any information in this electronic mail to any unauthorized personnel is an offence punishable under law. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by electronic mail and delete it from your computer immediately.

      • Gary W. Priester
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
          Pretty incredible stuff Andrew! Your refined algorithm is the best I've seen. I love the buttons on your website as well.

          Gary

          At 01:56 AM 11/8/2009, you wrote:

[...]

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4583 (20091108) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          Gary W. Priester

          www.gwpriester.com
          Hidden Treasures - 3D Stereograms
          Clean, Functional Web Site and Logo Design
          Illustrations and 3D Stereograms

        • 3Dimka Bessmertny
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2009
            Nice and clean renderings, Andy!

            MTS have smooth fillings, however there are issues with ghosting.
            I wander what's the speed of your algorithm, mine is so slow in Stereogram Lab, I can have a cup of tee while it's rendering hi-res image.

            The attached picture seems to look like a tiled 3D shape rendered with perspective, which creates excellent cross-eyed stereogram effect. Simple but effective. I think Barney has a special term for that, Single Viewpoint (http://www.3dwonderstuff.com). Unfortunately this method doesn't work for parallel stereograms unless all the objects have 50% transparency.

            I hope you'll continue your research, look forward to see more of your artworks!
            3Dimka ;)

            --
            3Dimka ;)
          • Andrew D Giger (Dr)
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

              Thanks for your feedback, Ute.

              Fortunately, for this particular stereogram, making a parallel viewing version is quite straight forward. So here it is, especially for you.  ; )

              Cheers,

              Andy

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

                Thanks, Gary. You are very generous!

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

                  Thanks, 3Dimka.

                  For this one, I didn’t actually use my single image stereogram algorithm, but wrote another little program that let me manually adjust the disparity of pairs (or triplets) of Bezier curves. In essence, this produces stereo pairs (or triplets) with perfect horizontal alignment. And it’s all done in 2D.  ; )

                  This also means that there are no ambiguities in depth, as they may occur with SIS. Last time when you mentioned ghosting, I thought you were referring to those areas that can be seen both as background or elevated, but here I don’t think that’s what you mean. What are you referring to by ghosting?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
                    Lots of thanks!!! :-))