Re: Stereogram books

  • pulltime3d
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
      That Stereogram book was particularly wonderful. Towards the end of the book, there is a
      thoroughly researched article by Itsuo Sakane covering who did what and when. Sakane
      properly credits Alfons Schilling as the first person to make a SIRDS, while reminding us of
      the great value of Chris Tyler's work. The main text of the book, apparently written by
      someone else mistakenly fully credits Tyler with its invention.

      Alfons Schilling was my 3-D guru when we both were professors at the Cooper Union for
      the Advancement of Science and Art in the 1970's.

      Page 80 of the book talks a bit about my work and reproduces one of my 3-D photos, but
      not a SIRDS.

      Another book missing from the list is 3D Miracle World from Quark Press, 1993, and that
      has a few of my SIRDS. I made my SIRDS back then using an early version of Adobe
      Photoshop without any special plug-ins. That was Photoshop v.2.5 on my Mac IIci, with 64
      Megs of RAM.

      I'm happy to find and join this group.
      Jerry
      Gerald Marks

      --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, G Levine <mail.gene@...> wrote:

      > 3Dimka,
      >
      > I didn't notice "Stereogram" from Cadence Books
      > http://www.amazon.com/Stereogram-Howard-Rheingold/dp/0929279859
      >
      > This and "Magic Eye Gallery" were the only stereogram books I owned
      > for many years.
      > Then I bought Carlos's "3D Magic History"
      > Then I bought "Magic Eye Beyond 3D" only because I was interested in
      > their claims.
      > Then I bought "Another Dimensions" because I know the publisher;-)
      > (and it was dirt cheap)
      >
      > That's all the stereogram books I purchased in 10 years.
      > It's not a stereogram book, but I did purchase Gary Priester's
      > "Looking Good in Color"
      >
      > BTW: "Hidden Treasures" should now be fully available. It might be
      > the best to date?:-)
      >
      > Gene
      >

      > On 05 5, 08, at 9:53 PM, 3Dimka Bessmertny wrote:
      >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I was wondering how many books were there published and after
      > > couple hours browsing Amazon I found about 60:
      > > http://www.hidden-3d.com/stereogram_books.php
      > >
      > > Do you know if I missed something? I own about half of books listed.
      > >
      > > 3Dimka ;)

    • 3Dimka Bessmertny
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
        Hello Jerry and welcome to the group,

        So Alfons Schilling is our legend, not Christopher Tyler. I also was wondering who has created the very first single image stereogram, those Tyler's experiments were just random dot stereo pairs. Besides, the first random dot stereo pair with a hidden venus was actually created by a russian artist Boris Kompaneysky in 1939 (picture is attached).

        That "3D Miracle World" book, do you have ISBN for it? I couldn't find it on amazon. If you still have those stereograms of yours and willing to share them, that would be very interesting to look at!

        3Dimka ;)

        That Stereogram book was particularly wonderful. Towards the end of the book, there is a
        thoroughly researched article by Itsuo Sakane covering who did what and when. Sakane
        properly credits Alfons Schilling as the first person to make a SIRDS, while reminding us of
        the great value of Chris Tyler's work. The main text of the book, apparently written by
        someone else mistakenly fully credits Tyler with its invention.

        Alfons Schilling was my 3-D guru when we both were professors at the Cooper Union for
        the Advancement of Science and Art in the 1970's.

        Page 80 of the book talks a bit about my work and reproduces one of my 3-D photos, but
        not a SIRDS.

        Another book missing from the list is 3D Miracle World from Quark Press, 1993, and that
        has a few of my SIRDS. I made my SIRDS back then using an early version of Adobe
        Photoshop without any special plug-ins. That was Photoshop v.2.5 on my Mac IIci, with 64
        Megs of RAM.

        I'm happy to find and join this group.
        Jerry
        Gerald Marks

        --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, G Levine <mail.gene@...> wrote:

        > 3Dimka,
        >
        > I didn't notice "Stereogram" from Cadence Books
        > http://www.amazon.com/Stereogram-Howard-Rheingold/dp/0929279859
        >
        > This and "Magic Eye Gallery" were the only stereogram books I owned
        > for many years.
        > Then I bought Carlos's "3D Magic History"
        > Then I bought "Magic Eye Beyond 3D" only because I was interested in
        > their claims.
        > Then I bought "Another Dimensions" because I know the publisher;-)
        > (and it was dirt cheap)
        >
        > That's all the stereogram books I purchased in 10 years.
        > It's not a stereogram book, but I did purchase Gary Priester's
        > "Looking Good in Color"
        >
        > BTW: "Hidden Treasures" should now be fully available.  It might be
        > the best to date?:-)
        >
        > Gene
        >

        > On 05 5, 08, at 9:53 PM, 3Dimka Bessmertny wrote:
        >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I was wondering how many books were there published and after
        > > couple hours browsing Amazon I found about 60:
        > > http://www.hidden-3d.com/stereogram_books.php
        > >
        > > Do you know if I missed something? I own about half of books listed.
        > >
        > > 3Dimka ;)

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:3D-Stereograms-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:3D-Stereograms-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • pulltime3d
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
          Hi 3Dimka,
          Sakane, properly credits Tyler for so very much in the field of SIRDS that he deserves the
          title Legend. Alfons Schilling certainly earns that title, too, as that brilliant artist make a
          SIRDS earlier (1974). I think Tyler was the first to do it using a computer... Alfons did it
          manually!

          Actually, as I reread Sakane's article, I see he also mentions a Japanese artist Masayaki Ito,
          who made SIRDS even earlier... 1970!

          The Stereogram book was from Cadence Press, San Francisco, 1974. ISBN 0-929279-85-
          9

          Alfons' book, The Art of Vision, has his 1974 SIRDS on page 125. ISBN 3-211-83023-5

          The Stereogram book can be found easily and cheap, Alfons' book is a large, expensive
          harder-to-find hardcover.

          Wow, you've made me do some research!

          By the way, I'll be speaking at the upcoming 3D Biz-Ex conference in Los Angeles on
          September 29. http://www.3dbizex.com/

          Best,
          Jerry

          --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, "3Dimka Bessmertny" <3dimka@...> wrote:

          > Hello Jerry and welcome to the group,
          >
          > So Alfons Schilling is our legend, not Christopher Tyler. I also was
          > wondering who has created the very first single image stereogram, those
          > Tyler's experiments were just random dot stereo pairs. Besides, the first
          > random dot stereo pair with a hidden venus was actually created by a russian
          > artist Boris Kompaneysky in 1939 (picture is attached).
          >

          > That "3D Miracle World" book, do you have ISBN for it? I couldn't find it on
          > amazon. If you still have those stereograms of yours and willing to share
          > them, that would be very interesting to look at!
          >
          > 3Dimka ;)
          >

          > > That Stereogram book was particularly wonderful. Towards the end of the
          > > book, there is a
          > > thoroughly researched article by Itsuo Sakane covering who did what and
          > > when. Sakane
          > > properly credits Alfons Schilling as the first person to make a SIRDS,
          > > while reminding us of
          > > the great value of Chris Tyler's work. The main text of the book,
          > > apparently written by
          > > someone else mistakenly fully credits Tyler with its invention.
          > >
          > > Alfons Schilling was my 3-D guru when we both were professors at the Cooper
          > > Union for
          > > the Advancement of Science and Art in the 1970's.
          > >
          > > Page 80 of the book talks a bit about my work and reproduces one of my 3-D
          > > photos, but
          > > not a SIRDS.
          > >
          > > Another book missing from the list is 3D Miracle World from Quark Press,
          > > 1993, and that
          > > has a few of my SIRDS. I made my SIRDS back then using an early version of
          > > Adobe
          > > Photoshop without any special plug-ins. That was Photoshop v.2.5 on my Mac
          > > IIci, with 64
          > > Megs of RAM.
          > >
          > > I'm happy to find and join this group.
          > > Jerry
          > > Gerald Marks
          > >
          > > --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, G Levine <mail.gene@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > 3Dimka,
          > > >
          > > > I didn't notice "Stereogram" from Cadence Books
          > > > http://www.amazon.com/Stereogram-Howard-Rheingold/dp/0929279859
          > > >
          > > > This and "Magic Eye Gallery" were the only stereogram books I owned
          > > > for many years.
          > > > Then I bought Carlos's "3D Magic History"
          > > > Then I bought "Magic Eye Beyond 3D" only because I was interested in
          > > > their claims.
          > > > Then I bought "Another Dimensions" because I know the publisher;-)
          > > > (and it was dirt cheap)
          > > >
          > > > That's all the stereogram books I purchased in 10 years.
          > > > It's not a stereogram book, but I did purchase Gary Priester's
          > > > "Looking Good in Color"
          > > >
          > > > BTW: "Hidden Treasures" should now be fully available. It might be
          > > > the best to date?:-)
          > > >
          > > > Gene

        • 3Dimka Bessmertny
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
            Jerry,

            Thanks for the links, we know the Stereogram book. I was wondering what's "3D Miracle World" book you mentioned, I haven't heard of it before and the only reference I found is http://books.livedoor.com/item4061003895.html

            It's really nice to hear that stereoscopic technology is coming back on consumer market, though Single Image Stereograms are still resting in the archives with an old dusty art status. Good luck with your speach, Jerry. BTW, if you are interested there's a bunch of 3D related groups at yahoo. If interested, I can send you a list.

            3Dimka ;)

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
              That livedoor link seems to be it. It is ISBN4-06-100389-5

              I no longer have the digital files for the images in that book. At one point in the mid 90's I
              brought a couple of shopping bags full of 44 Meg Syquest disks to a guy who had a, then
              very expensive, CD burner. but some of the disks could not be read. One of these days, I'll
              scan the pictures in the book and put them up.

              Please do send the group list.
              Thanks,
              Jerry

              --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, "3Dimka Bessmertny" <3dimka@...> wrote:

              > Jerry,
              >
              > Thanks for the links, we know the Stereogram book. I was wondering what's
              > "3D Miracle World" book you mentioned, I haven't heard of it before and the
              > only reference I found is http://books.livedoor.com/item4061003895.html
              >
              > It's really nice to hear that stereoscopic technology is coming back on
              > consumer market, though Single Image Stereograms are still resting in the
              > archives with an old dusty art status. Good luck with your speach, Jerry.
              > BTW, if you are interested there's a bunch of 3D related groups at yahoo. If
              > interested, I can send you a list.
              >
              > 3Dimka ;)
            • 3Dimka Bessmertny
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                Hi Jerry,
                I still can't lookup the book by ISBN.

                Here is the list of active 3D related groups:

                Look forward to see your stereograms!
                3Dimka ;)

                That livedoor link seems to be it. It is ISBN4-06-100389-5

                I no longer have the digital files for the images in that book. At one point in the mid 90's I
                brought a couple of shopping bags full of 44 Meg Syquest disks to a guy who had a, then
                very expensive, CD burner. but some of the disks could not be read. One of these days, I'll
                scan the pictures in the book and put them up.

                Please do send the group list.
                Thanks,
                Jerry

                --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, "3Dimka Bessmertny" <3dimka@...> wrote:

                > Jerry,
                >
                > Thanks for the links, we know the Stereogram book. I was wondering what's
                > "3D Miracle World" book you mentioned, I haven't heard of it before and the
                > only reference I found is http://books.livedoor.com/item4061003895.html
                >
                > It's really nice to hear that stereoscopic technology is coming back on
                > consumer market, though Single Image Stereograms are still resting in the
                > archives with an old dusty art status. Good luck with your speach, Jerry.
                > BTW, if you are interested there's a bunch of 3D related groups at yahoo. If
                > interested, I can send you a list.
                >
                > 3Dimka ;)

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mailto:3D-Stereograms-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   mailto:3D-Stereograms-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Ute Kassner
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                  > One of these days, I'll scan the pictures in the book and put them up.

                  Thanks in advance!! :-)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                    Hello Jerry,

                    Welcome to the group.  I'd love to see those pictures too.

                    Gene

                    On 09 3, 08, at 4:57 PM, Ute Kassner wrote:

                    > One of these days, I'll scan the pictures in the book and put them up.

                    Thanks in advance!! :-)

                    That livedoor link seems to be it. It is ISBN4-06-100389- 5

                    I no longer have the digital files for the images in that book. At one point in the mid 90's I
                    brought a couple of shopping bags full of 44 Meg Syquest disks to a guy who had a, then
                    very expensive, CD burner. but some of the disks could not be read. One of these days, I'll
                    scan the pictures in the book and put them up.

                    Please do send the group list.
                    Thanks,
                    Jerry

                    --- In 3D-Stereograms@ yahoogroups. com, "3Dimka Bessmertny" <3dimka@...> wrote:

                    > Jerry,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the links, we know the Stereogram book. I was wondering what's
                    > "3D Miracle World" book you mentioned, I haven't heard of it before and the
                    > only reference I found is http://books. livedoor. com/item40610038 95.html
                    >
                    > It's really nice to hear that stereoscopic technology is coming back on
                    > consumer market, though Single Image Stereograms are still resting in the
                    > archives with an old dusty art status. Good luck with your speach, Jerry.
                    > BTW, if you are interested there's a bunch of 3D related groups at yahoo. If
                    > interested, I can send you a list.
                    >
                    > 3Dimka ;)

                  • pulltime3d
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 4, 2008
                      I also tried searching by ISBN and found nothing, probably because it was sold only in
                      Japan, as far as I know. You did find the Japanese listings, including LiveDoor, under the
                      English title. The Japanese holographer Ikuo Nakamura, who lives in NY, would come over
                      to my studio and speak with the Quark/Kodansha art director on the phone and tell me
                      what he wanted. The book is entirely in Japanese except for occasional English title.

                      They gave me an interesting challenge... take two famous Japanese woodblock prints by
                      Hokusai and translate them into SIRDS. These prints are in every Japanese person's consciousness. I'll try to scan what I did and also find the original prints to show what
                      they are. Without knowing the prints, you'd wonder "what is that shape?".
                      Jerry

                      --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, "3Dimka Bessmertny" <3dimka@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jerry,
                      > I still can't lookup the book by ISBN.
                      >
                      > Here is the list of active 3D related groups:
                      >
                      > Look forward to see your stereograms!
                      > 3Dimka ;)
                      >

                      > > That livedoor link seems to be it. It is ISBN4-06-100389-5
                      > >
                      > > I no longer have the digital files for the images in that book. At one
                      > > point in the mid 90's I
                      > > brought a couple of shopping bags full of 44 Meg Syquest disks to a guy who
                      > > had a, then
                      > > very expensive, CD burner. but some of the disks could not be read. One of
                      > > these days, I'll
                      > > scan the pictures in the book and put them up.
                      > >
                      > > Please do send the group list.
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Jerry
                      > >
                      > > --- In 3D-Stereograms@yahoogroups.com, "3Dimka Bessmertny" <3dimka@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Jerry,
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks for the links, we know the Stereogram book. I was wondering what's
                      > > > "3D Miracle World" book you mentioned, I haven't heard of it before and
                      > > the
                      > > > only reference I found is http://books.livedoor.com/item4061003895.html
                      > > >
                      > > > It's really nice to hear that stereoscopic technology is coming back on
                      > > > consumer market, though Single Image Stereograms are still resting in the
                      > > > archives with an old dusty art status. Good luck with your speach, Jerry.
                      > > > BTW, if you are interested there's a bunch of 3D related groups at yahoo.
                      > > If
                      > > > interested, I can send you a list.
                      > > >
                      > > > 3Dimka ;)

                    • jaysarfati
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                        Hello Jerry! Welcome to the group. It's not too often you meet
                        someone who made/makes stereograms manually. A book published by
                        Charles River Media (Stereogram Programming Techniques, if I remember
                        right)showed a few handmade stereograms. Someday I hope you'll find
                        time to post some of your works.
                      • 3Dimka Bessmertny
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                          Jay,

                          It would be great if you posted your stereogram to the group by attaching them to new messages. I saw your new artworks in the gallery,  very nice works, but most members and lurkers of this group do not check the gallery, thus your new works are being unnoticed.

                          3Dimka ;)

                          Hello Jerry!  Welcome to the group.  It's not too often you meet
                          someone who made/makes stereograms manually.  A book published by
                          Charles River Media (Stereogram Programming Techniques, if I remember
                          right)showed a few handmade stereograms.  Someday I hope you'll find
                          time to post some of your works.

                          <*> Your email settings:
                             Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                             (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                             mailto:3D-Stereograms-digest@yahoogroups.com
                             mailto:3D-Stereograms-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Leon Sarfati
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                            Gladly.  Can't decide whether to call this Hellspawn or Hell's Faun.