Stereogram Paint - online tool for drawing stereograms

  • 3Dimka Bessmertny
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2008
      Hello All,

      I made online stereogram creation tool (Stereogram Paint) which is very simple to work with. Here is the link, should work in any browser:
      http://eyeadventures.com/games/StereogramPaint.html

      The stereogram attached was made using this tool only. Set of 3D brushes and Dynamic Depth Increment allow to draw complex 3D shapes in a simple manner. When the work is ready, you can download both depthmap and the stereogram.

      The interface is pretty simple:
      1. Background drop down list allows to pick one of preset backgrounds.
      2. Brush Type (Circle, Square, Dimond, RectX and RectY) changes brush shape and the slider below changes Brush size.
      3. Edge Type (Plane, Sphere, Inset) changes the edge of the Brush and the slider below changes Edge size.
      4. Depth slider changes current Z level of the brush
      5. Eraser checkbox switches brush to erase mode (don't forget to pick a Depth)
      6. Depth Increment is a cool tool. It changes Z Depth of the Brush while you draw. +/- slider sets the speed of change (angle in 3D). If you need to reset it - click the button next to it - [0]
      7. Depth Pick button - [?] gets the depth from where you click - very convenient
      8. Unde/Redo buttons - 10 steps of Undo (a must feature in any editor)
      9. Clear - erases whole scene
      10. Render - generates Stereogram. When you click on stereogram - you'll be switched back to editor mode.
      11. Save button - download your Depth Map or Stereogram from

      Have fun and don't forget to post what you created back to the group. Critics, questions and suggestions are appreciated.

      I used rendering algorithm developed by William Andrew Steer ( http://techmind.org)
      You might know there another online tool with a similar idea, made by a different programmer - http://www.flash-gear.com/stereo/

      3Dimka ;)

    • Joel Nisson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
        That is incredible!!!!
        Congratulations and thank you.

        Joel Nisson
        joel@...
[...]

        It has removed 4167 spam emails to date.
        Try SPAMfighter for free now!
      • Barney Johnson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
        • 3Dimka Bessmertny
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
            Thank you Joel  and Barney,

            I added 8 more textures and set resolution to 1024. It's a pretty addictive tool, I'm spending hours playing with it :)
            The drawing below took me only 5 minutes.

            3Dimka ;)

            Wow 3Dimka, this is great!

            Is there a way to use a different background or make the picture bigger?

            Barney

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
              Lots of fun! I use a graphics tablet, is there a way to make the depth values pressure sensitive so I can draw dark to light by how hard I press?

              Mike I.

              On Jan 6, 2008, at 9:41 PM, 3Dimka Bessmertny wrote:

[...]

              <StereogramPaint_res.jpg><StereogramPaint_dm.jpg>

            • 3Dimka Bessmertny
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
                Mike,

                I don't think Flash supports this feature. Use +/- Depth Increment to draw dark to light.

                3Dimka ;)

[...]

              • Manfred Eller
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
                  Hi Dimka,

                  thank you very much for adding the Textures and upgrading the resolution.

                  You are really fantastic and I can only say: "Keep on 3D-ing ..."

                  Only because im so excited a last suggestion: It would be great to have as many Texture availiable as possible - what about 100 or so? ;o)
                  And is there a chance to show them as a small icon in advance?
                  Or what about he idea to be able to upload a jpeg for the texture?

                  Thanks very much
                  Manfred

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
                    Thanks Manfred,

                    This is a tool for beginners, so there's no need in 100 textures. Also they make the Flash file bigger (it's already over 500Kb). Previews are possible, but I'm too lazy for user interface. I use standard combobox and for thumbnails I have to design my own control.

                    And if you want to use your own texture, you are welcome to save your DepthMap and use your favorite program to render stereogram with
                    a custom texture.

                    Have fun!
                    3Dimka ;)