Honeycomb Manufacturers

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
      Per, have you looked into what manufacturers would be the most fit to
      accomplish structural honeycomb architecture?
    • James
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
        Anyone out there had luck finding any honeycomb structure
        manufacturers that are capable of large scale custom pieces?
      • Per Corell
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2005
          Hi

          --- In 3D-Honeycomb-open@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jamesb@j...> wrote:

          > Per, have you looked into what manufacturers would be the most fit to
          > accomplish structural honeycomb architecture?

          Well the "Honeycomb" that is the result of the 3D-H method is
          something that kind of "grow" when you put together slices or sections
          cut out of the Solid model. Some complain about the term "honeycomb"
          with 3D-Honeycomb ,as there are no hex shaped cubes , still Honeycomb
          are the best way to describe this 3D structure even the cubes are 4
          corners and not 6 . I don't think there would be any engineering gain
          offering a hex cube 3D honeycomb structure -- you see the great
          advanteage with square cubes are that the sections overlapping that in
          3D will form this structure are so much easier to manufactor with just
          4 sides in each cube.
          Manufactoring this is acturly just about trivial flat sheet cutting,
          also in that way 3D-H can be manuactored, the sections that form a
          3D-H when assembled, can be manufactored with quite trivial
          manufactoring mashins , still CNC laser and water cutters and 2.5 D
          routers are the mashines that will make this "material" in a way that
          will surprise you when you realise that this acturly form a 3D shape
          and not the surface covered hollow structure engineering are used to.

          So We allready have the manufactoring, all that is needed is a
          "revolution" in how we "see" a structure, that a highrise building
          don't need to be fiddled together by 20 different rigid steel
          profiles, that with a simple CAD program that maneage Solids and
          sectioning, you can slice the object -- that being an areoplane
          bfuselage a boat or a house even a beautifull lamp , and when you
          placed all the sections flat on the workplane, then cut they can be
          assembled to form just any shape --- and the surprising for some are
          that this will not end up more fragile than the material indicate.
          Fact is that this framework end up 3 times stronger holding 3D forms
          in the air ready for a final paneling that will add the final strength.
          Think about tradisional aeroplane fuselages and how "ribs" are single
          ones not connected or supported by other things than a few stringers
          and the paneling ; with 3D-H you can make all ribs support eachother
          and make every interiours in one with the framework --- not 20
          different material just one plain sheet material.

          P.C.