Re: [30MDG] Congrats to all 30MDG members using U30, to John, to Managers

  • signal
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
      I'm hooked on trying to earn as many awards as I can.  The ones with cw is encouraging me to re learn cw just to earn the awards.

      Eddy
      N4ABN

      On 12/6/2011 10:48 PM, Don wrote:

      GE,

      We have come a long way and FYI below from John-u30 creator.

      Congrats to all of YOU 30MDG members that participate on 30m using U30 and we thank you.

      Congrats to John OE3JPK for all his hard work in U30, Rob and Laurie for database work and ALL our 30MDG Award Managers for the thousands of appications and hours the give free kindly to make all this happen.

      Our Award Manager Team:
      http://www.30mdg.net/team.html

      Rob ZL3RG
      Barry M0IOW
      Laurie VK3AMA
      Darin VE3OIJ
      Larry NK2X
      Richard PA3GWH
      'Pez' OE3EPW
      John OE3JPK
      Bek EX8AB:
      Barry ZS2EZ
      Don KB9UMT

      Thank you.

      Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
      www.30mdg.net

      --
      https://sites.google.com/site/n4abnradio/
    • Rich Marshall (WR4U)
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011

        Eddy, I have a 15 year old son who really wants me to have raw CW skills at least equal to him, or else I’d be on CW every night with my computer working DX.

        CWGET, once you learn how to use it, will read most fists, or at least those generated with a keyboard, which there is plenty of.

        CWSEND with an interface to your radio will allow you to send at the receive speed without error and with perfect spacing.

        Personally I think keeping CW alive and keeping the bands alive are more important than any “bastardization” of the “art” may be…

        So go get some paper to hang on the wall, and don’t be afraid to use whatever tools are available to you.

        I just wish I had the time to get on the air, do it for those of us who can’t!

        That’s my $0.10 worth, YMMV

        73 de WR4U

        --
        https://sites.google.com/site/n4abnradio/
      • siegfried.jackstien
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
          Or if you wanna connect your pc to your rig anyway ... then I would use one
          of the multimode programs ... like multipsk or similar
          (does also work ok on cw)

          And install mmsstv (for the narrow sstv net here on 30m

          And easypal for digital sstv

          Connect rig to soundcard and make a ptt switcher for the rig and you can use
          many many modes on the air :-)

          Dg9bfc
          Sigi

          Ps there are a few modes that even can be used with small antennas and qrp
          ... so digital is sometimes the way to go ... MY 2 cents! *g*

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
            Hi Rich,

            Just about every ham program I have has cw on it. I can't bring myself to use it because to me I would be cheating.  They aren't reliable though. I will have to look up those two you mentioned and see how they do.

            I should have kept up with it after I got my ticket but have been into all of the digital modes.

            73
            Eddy
            N4ABN

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
              Hi Rob and all,
              that Africa award was a nice surprise, and if there are coming other additions, it will surely increase the fun.
              My tuppence: thank you very much, to all of the managers and also to John, for keeping this system running for free to all of us! Without the group and without the U30 I could not imagine having worked that many stns on 30m, just for the fun of it!
              Best wishes for the holiday season and hope to work you again soon.
              vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

              > GE,
              >
              > We have come a long way and FYI below from John-u30 creator.
              >
              > Congrats to all of YOU 30MDG members that participate on 30m using U30 and we thank you.
              >
              > Congrats to John OE3JPK for all his hard work in U30, Rob and Laurie for database work and ALL our 30MDG Award Managers for the thousands of appications and hours the give free kindly to make all this happen.
              >
              > Our Award Manager Team:
              > http://www.30mdg.net/team.html
              >
              > Rob ZL3RG
              > Barry M0IOW
              > Laurie VK3AMA
              > Darin VE3OIJ
              > Larry NK2X
              > Richard PA3GWH
              > 'Pez' OE3EPW
              > John OE3JPK
              > Bek EX8AB:
              > Barry ZS2EZ
              > Don KB9UMT
              >

              > Thank you.
              >
              > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
              > www.30mdg.net
              >

              > > Hello all,
              > >
              > > INFO from U30:
              > >
              > > We have crossed the 25k line...
              > >
              > > That means 25086 applications run through U30 and U30 server.
              > >
              > > 73 de JOHN, OE3JPK

            • Don Leitch
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011

                Eddy  yes I use a cw program, I tried all of them, and as I too like 30 meters, thats the band I tested on, being noisey its not an easy one for software to decode.

                Most dxpedition stations are calling at 25 words a minute according to my software.

                I wear hearing aids I struggle with high notes anyway.

                I tried cw get and hrd cw , and a few others   they worked but decode rate was pretty low on 30 anyway, I ended up buying mrp40 its expensive   but in my humble opinion the one working best for me.

                There is just no way I am going to get the dx without it, it decodes well into the noise and with good filters on my icom pro 3 I am nearly at dx 50 already on 30 meters .

                I look forward to adding cw n4abn 0n 30

                Don zl1atb

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 7, 2011
                  Thank you Sigi, I do have cat control using SignaLink USB also and have HRD deluxe and MixW and MMSTV and MVARI and FLDIGI and MMTY and probably others hi hi. They all seem to work better in some areas then the others and some have better macros. It's fun trying to figure out how to work them all. Some have a learning curve.

                  73
                  Eddy
                  N4ABN

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011

                        Thats what I do as well eddy I hear bass, in fact bass drives me nuts lol must be something to do with the type of hearing Loss I suffer noisey cars   boom boom  stereos  ahhhhhhhh drive me to a 2nd coronary.

                        Don zl1atb

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                          I hate those noisy cars too. I was thinking about that the other day. Since the boom boom boom irritates so much I wonder what DARPA does to us? Maybe it is bad for us and animals.

                          73
                          Eddy
                          N4ABN

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                            Yes ... all of them has a learning curve ... I like multipsk together with
                            the dx lab suite ... that fits my needs .. many modes without the need of
                            changing the soft...
                            Dg9bfc
                            Sigi
                            Cu soon in any digital mode :-)

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                              Yes it's nice because it has all of the modes.  Nice program.

                              73 Sigi

                              Eddy
                              N4ABN

                            • David Meye
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                                That program is outstanding .  I use it because I lost most of my hearing and have trouble copying code by ear, but the program does a good job of sending and receiving for mDave KL7QW/KR0DS

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011
                                  I've been trying that program and it seems to decode better then the cwget. I just got dx50 a few days ago without any cw. I think it's because of JT65A and RTTY.  I was trying to work that Palau station today but couldn't get through. There was another station on Palau but a lot of stations were calling him on the freq he was on and weren't working split so they were plugging my ears. What a waste. That was a little frustrating not working anyone at all on cw the first try. argh!  Some other time.

                                  Thanks for the input on the cw program Don.

                                  73
                                  Eddy
                                  N4ABN

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 8, 2011

                                    Thats OK eddy it works free for a few weeks  thrash it and confirm what it does .

                                    Its expensive for a program with no eye candy, but hey it works really well.

                                    It took me a while to get the hang of  it be able to work the dx stations at the speed they want it to be  with no mistakes.

                                    I use it with my navigator and pro3 and I recon I can get right down into the noise with this probably  80 % decode on computer generated code , I think many programs struggle with some fists. At least as I listen I am learning .

                                    Don zl1atb

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 10, 2011
                                        That is the reason why i made the cw filter switchable in ssb mode :-)
                                        Dg9bfc
                                        Sigi