Re: [30MDG] AFSK vS FSK

  • Dave Wright
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
      In most cases, the preference for FSK comes down to filtering available in the rig in RTTY/FSK mode as opposed to USB/LSB/DIGI mode. Tighter filters, oftentimes optimized for the two tones of the FSK signal. Of course, that depends upon your rig and the capabilities installed therein, but that is usually the argument in favor of FSK.

      Of course, that FSK setting on most rigs is tailored for RTTY, and not for the other sound card modes like PSK31.

      Dave

      On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Joe Brown <w2jlb1@...> wrote:
      Some amateurs prefer using FSK over AFSK. My question is, If you are
      already using a sound card digital interface (RigExpert, RigBlaster,
      SignalLink, etc.) why would FSK be preferred over AFSK?

      --
      73 – Joe W2JLB

      --
      Dave
      K3DCW

      "Real radio bounces off of the sky"
    • Siegfried Jackstien
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
        If you do not overload the mic input afsk makes a clean signal ... but some
        verdriver their rig ... that can not happemn in fsk as you have only a
        digital (high or low) and the rig takes care of the power ...
        And nex thing is that in most rigs the 500hz cw filter is selected in rty
        mode ... better filtering means that strong nearby station does not turn
        down your agc anymore ... so that two points: clean signal and better
        filtering are reason why some prefer fsk
        You can get about this when either using split (receive in rtty and transmit
        in afsk) ... or a bit homebrewing like I did :-)
        I made the cw filer selectable also in ssb receive ...
        Together with the if shift I can now use the cw filter where I want in the
        ssb passband ... and use all digi modes with that filter
        Dg9bfc
        Sigi

      • Don Leitch
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2011
          For me Joe as has been mentioned rig filters are selectable in fsk and cw,
          where as in a sound card, you are really stuck using ssb.
          My rig has specific rtty filters (TWIN PEAK) that I can only use with a fsk
          interface and I can run full 100% duty without sound card distortion.
          The same with cw, I wasn't able to use any of these options with my old
          signal link.
          If you are happy with psk31 and jt65 etc and run 30 watts then you don't
          need these options
          Don zl1atb

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2011
            Thanks to all who responded. Now I understand why one "version" of RTTY is preferred over another by some. There are reasons for using both depending on one's radio environment and equipment.
            73 – Joe W2JLB