AFSK vS FSK

  • Joe Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15 6:35 AM
      Some amateurs prefer using FSK over AFSK. My question is, If you are
      already using a sound card digital interface (RigExpert, RigBlaster,
      SignalLink, etc.) why would FSK be preferred over AFSK?

      --
      73 – Joe W2JLB
    • Dave Wright
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15 6:44 AM
        In most cases, the preference for FSK comes down to filtering available in the rig in RTTY/FSK mode as opposed to USB/LSB/DIGI mode. Tighter filters, oftentimes optimized for the two tones of the FSK signal. Of course, that depends upon your rig and the capabilities installed therein, but that is usually the argument in favor of FSK.

        Of course, that FSK setting on most rigs is tailored for RTTY, and not for the other sound card modes like PSK31.

        Dave

        On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Joe Brown <w2jlb1@...> wrote:
        Some amateurs prefer using FSK over AFSK. My question is, If you are
        already using a sound card digital interface (RigExpert, RigBlaster,
        SignalLink, etc.) why would FSK be preferred over AFSK?

        --
        73 – Joe W2JLB

        --
        Dave
        K3DCW
        www.k3dcw.net

        "Real radio bounces off of the sky"
      • Siegfried Jackstien
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15 12:01 PM
          If you do not overload the mic input afsk makes a clean signal ... but some
          verdriver their rig ... that can not happemn in fsk as you have only a
          digital (high or low) and the rig takes care of the power ...
          And nex thing is that in most rigs the 500hz cw filter is selected in rty
          mode ... better filtering means that strong nearby station does not turn
          down your agc anymore ... so that two points: clean signal and better
          filtering are reason why some prefer fsk
          You can get about this when either using split (receive in rtty and transmit
          in afsk) ... or a bit homebrewing like I did :-)
          I made the cw filer selectable also in ssb receive ...
          Together with the if shift I can now use the cw filter where I want in the
          ssb passband ... and use all digi modes with that filter
          Dg9bfc
          Sigi

        • Don Leitch
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15 12:58 PM
            For me Joe as has been mentioned rig filters are selectable in fsk and cw,
            where as in a sound card, you are really stuck using ssb.
            My rig has specific rtty filters (TWIN PEAK) that I can only use with a fsk
            interface and I can run full 100% duty without sound card distortion.
            The same with cw, I wasn't able to use any of these options with my old
            signal link.
            If you are happy with psk31 and jt65 etc and run 30 watts then you don't
            need these options
            Don zl1atb

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 16 5:31 AM
              Thanks to all who responded. Now I understand why one "version" of RTTY is preferred over another by some. There are reasons for using both depending on one's radio environment and equipment.
              73 – Joe W2JLB