RE: [30meterPSKGroup] Excel File - Propnet Weekend

  • Mike, K6BR
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007

                  Does this mean I am the winner and get an award hi hi, actually not bad for out here on the West Coast, with on two ZL’s behind me.

      Mike K6Br

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
        Mike, K6BR wrote:

        > Does this mean I am the winner and get an award hi hi, actually not
        > bad for out here on the West Coast, with on two ZL’s behind me.
        >
        > Mike K6Br

        Yup! You get the Energizer Bunny ZAPPER award! ;)

        Actually, I'm envious/ I think it means you get out very well and that
        your antennas hear well, too. I'd love to see this weekend's data tied
        to some info about antennas (and maybe to rigs and software, too)!

        Congrats on what appears to be a pretty good station, Mike! I wish I
        could get out half as well :D

        73!
        Larry - NK2X
      • Mike, K6BR

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
            Larry,

            The station is FT-2000 with 50 watts on PSK and Steppir 3 element with 30/40
            dipole kit attached. I guess it says a lot for the Steppir 30 meter dipole
            really.

            Thanks for putting the data together in a usable form.

            Mike, K6BR

            > Does this mean I am the winner and get an award hi hi, actually not
            > bad for out here on the West Coast, with on two ZL's behind me.
            >
            > Mike K6Br

            Yup! You get the Energizer Bunny ZAPPER award! ;)

            Actually, I'm envious/ I think it means you get out very well and that
            your antennas hear well, too. I'd love to see this weekend's data tied
            to some info about antennas (and maybe to rigs and software, too)!

            Congrats on what appears to be a pretty good station, Mike! I wish I
            could get out half as well :D

            73!
            Larry - NK2X

            Please join in on Thursday and Sunday Night 30mtr PSK activity nights, also
            when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Sholto
            KE7HPV

            http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Larry - NK2X
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
              Mike, K6BR wrote:

              > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see ZL1ITA,
              > who I remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he was
              > just not there when you trapped the data?
              >

              > Mike K6BR

              Well, ZL1TA is in the data capture, but only with F6IRF on the 6th.
              Maybe he heard you (or vice versa) some time other than the 24 hours I
              captured.

              I do suspect my data now, though :) -- I deleted about 200 reports which
              had some measure of strangeness -- zero distance shown with same grids
              for 2 stations, same stations catching themselves, or bands other than
              30m shown. I did capture the 30m data on the propnet.org site but it's
              possible it can be corrupt because there was such a huge amount of
              data. I had to cut & paste in "chunks" otherwise the browser kept
              freezing :). I may have deleted some valid catches but that shouldn't
              skew things too badly since it's a fairly large sample.

              I'm sure the propnet folks will be sorting though and digesting the data
              soon...and maybe there is a way to get at the raw data without html
              formatting.

              I think this was a pretty good success, at least for 30m. There is some
              propagation gold in them thar hills ;)

              73
              Larry - NK2X

            • Larry - NK2X
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                Mike, K6BR wrote:
                > Larry,
                >
                > The station is FT-2000 with 50 watts on PSK and Steppir 3 element with 30/40
                > dipole kit attached. I guess it says a lot for the Steppir 30 meter dipole
                > really.
                >
                > Thanks for putting the data together in a usable form.
                >
                > Mike, K6BR

                You're welcome -- I enjoy playing with stuff like that.

                Your rig is one of the reasons I wasn't on this weekend :LOL: -- I just
                bought a new FT-2000 and don't have it set up for sound-card modes yet.
                I also haven't worked out all the ways to make it "sing" but that's
                coming. I have a SignaLink USB interface but no cables for the 5-pin
                din yet...have some work to do!

                And that SteppIR has to be the answer! I am building a 5-band hex for
                the high bands now but only have a dipole and end-fed wire for
                30m...both low at 25-30 feet! Most of my sig is heating the high clouds
                :LOL: I will be looking at a 30m-40m hex beam if this 5-bander turns
                out successfully.

                73
                Larry - NK2X
              • Mike, K6BR
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007

                              Hi Larry,

                  I am sure the time for ZL would have been around the 1500 – 1700z time.  The thing that is strange is that if I were in the middle of the country it would point a line out in each direction if a West coast station heard me and an East coast station heard me.  When I hear a ZL or he hears me there is no line short path to ZL.  I could not tell because of the cloud, but it looked like the line from me to ZL (if there was one) went long path.  This would mean the data is not being processed correctly, I would be interested in math involved to generate the map, I would hope Propnet would be using different math for their real data.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                    Mike, K6BR wrote:

                    > Hi Larry,
                    >
                    > I am sure the time for ZL would have been around the 1500 – 1700z
                    > time. The thing that is strange is that if I were in the middle of the
                    > country it would point a line out in each direction if a West coast
                    > station heard me and an East coast station heard me. When I hear a ZL
                    > or he hears me there is no line short path to ZL. I could not tell
                    > because of the cloud, but it looked like the line from me to ZL (if
                    > there was one) went long path. This would mean the data is not being
                    > processed correctly, I would be interested in math involved to
                    > generate the map, I would hope Propnet would be using different math
                    > for their real data.
                    >
                    > Mike

                    Mike,

                    The way I captured the data was to bring up the propnet page, wait for
                    it to load, and then save the page as an html file to my desktop. I then
                    opened the html file (I used Firefox) and copied and pasted the table
                    data into Excel...I copied about 1000-2000 entries at a time. More than
                    that caused the browser to hang.

                    I just went back and looked at the original html file I captured. There
                    are only two entries for ZL1TA in the table. The first is on 10/6 at at
                    15:24:28Z (F6IRF reporting he heard ZL1TA). The second was on 10/7 at
                    16:58:36Z (again, F6IRF reporting he heard ZL1TA). There were no reports
                    directly from ZL1TA in the data I captured. Unless I'm missing
                    something, there's no indication in the data I downloaded showing a link
                    between you and him.

                    ZL2FT had multiple entries in the data I downloaded. One on 10/6 at
                    18:56:19Z reporting he heard F6IRF. There were many ZL2FT reports on
                    10/7. It looks like you saw him on 10/7 at 12:01:55Z (and maybe at other
                    times). Is it possible that you linked with the ZL1 on Saturday before
                    14:43Z?

                    As far as the propnet map, I'm don't know how they derive it. On my
                    captured data, the map does not show a short-path link between you and
                    ZL land. It's pretty hard to tell what other paths might be there
                    because of the way the paths are bunched together. I'm pretty sure this
                    is the first time propnet has seen that level of activity on 30m and it
                    may have taxed their system some.

                    I would expect there will be some formal analysis coming out of propnet
                    in the future. They should have better access to the data and may be
                    able to look at smaller time slices than available on the propnet page.
                    The system (either findu, propnet, my ISP, or my Firefox browser -- and
                    maybe all of them) was severely taxed in downloading the quantity of
                    data and generating the map. That's why I captured the page as an html
                    file first.

                    Hope that wasn't too long.

                    73!
                    Larry - NK2X
                  • Mike, K6BR
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                      Nope, it explains it nicely Larry. I thought the same about the level of
                      activity on Propnet, I think that you are right about the system being
                      overloaded. I would bet they got some pretty good data over the weekend.
                      Antway it was all good fun.

                      All the best Larry,

                      Mike K6BR.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                        Larry THANKS for the fast review of the PropNet weekend with the data
                        that you had...very interesting to say the least! Thanks also to
                        Mike K6BR for running 1500 watts and stacked SteppIR's at 15,000 ft
                        24/7 hihi ..and all those here that participated.

                        For those that might not have Excel I thought I would copy and paste
                        the meat of the file/data that Larry uploaded in our files section
                        here. I think you have it right Larry and 30M IS NOT DEAD!

                        There will be other data to follow I would guess from PropNet or
                        others there that might go over this data and please pass any data or
                        reviews of the 30m POP PropNet weekend on as we get them.

                        Turned out to be a very active event that I think surprised PropNet
                        folks and also many that might not work 30m that often realize what
                        good propagation 30m has!!

                        de kb9umt Don EN50dp 'Playing in Peoria'
                        moderator

                        ******* below Larry's Excel data and main points **********

                        30M IS NOT DEAD :)
                        Total number of entries: 29,069 All zero-distance reports and
                        all reports marked for 10m, 20m, or 6m bands were removed
                        Total number of unique TX calls: 104 Includes a few grids
                        which people used in place of call signs
                        Total number of unique RX calls: 162 Includes a few grids
                        which people used in place of call signs
                        Longest distance: 11,742 ZL2FT - F6IRF (RF70 - JN35)
                        Shortest distance: 5
                        Average distance: 1,087
                        Total number of unique TX grids: 77 Major grid squares
                        only
                        Total number of unique RX grids: 99 Major grid squares
                        only

                        TX CALL ACTIVITY
                        TX CALL REPORTS SENT HEARD BY UNIQUE CALLS
                        K6BR 1,511 98
                        N2MH 1,173 58
                        VE2DC 1,031 101
                        N4CI 1,015 64
                        AF7W 944 90
                        WB2JEP 890 81
                        KD4AC 865 80
                        K6RBS 862 92
                        K5LA 747 89
                        KB9UMT 738 72
                        K1HTV 707 52
                        K4MF 701 75
                        NH7C 689 75
                        WK4U 645 80
                        KD5XB 622 80
                        NI5F 605 85
                        KD5LWU 566 73
                        WB8ILI 529 53
                        AC9S 521 62
                        K4RKM 518 66
                        KI4EIZ 497 56
                        K7EV 493 58
                        KD6RWF 481 65
                        W6CGH 444 69
                        K4BCE 425 65
                        N6TBQ 401 34
                        WB8SKP 400 59
                        WA7GIL 394 68
                        W8TAH 378 54
                        K4ORY 375 55
                        W2EV 364 52
                        W7HD 358 63
                        WD0BFO 356 56
                        WU8Y 345 52
                        N5BIA 344 53
                        WA2WDT 337 41
                        KE4U 318 41
                        F6IRF 317 55
                        K0OG 313 53
                        W3NRG 297 42
                        KB3KJ 271 42
                        W7KMV 269 39
                        KE4JP 268 38
                        WP4JMN 267 49
                        WB2HVF 257 40
                        K4OZS 252 45
                        W0MAF 213 41
                        N0MTC 205 38
                        N5IB 185 48
                        N9XGC 182 27
                        FM18OX 177 39
                        KK4LH 161 21
                        WA7BME 154 55
                        KF4IN 145 33
                        GM3YEH 136 10
                        N7GOC 135 37
                        KT0P 132 40
                        K3YJP 128 15
                        KI4ITV 123 38
                        KF7K 121 22
                        AH6EZ 104 23
                        K7DRA 101 34
                        KE5KVJ 97 39
                        AE5NL 86 18
                        WU9Q 85 22
                        N1CPE 76 17
                        WB0KHQ 72 32
                        AB9LB 71 19
                        WB8IMY 68 29
                        K1EVU 64 18
                        ZL2FT 64 16
                        N5XYO 58 24
                        AK9I 57 22
                        N4LNE 57 24
                        WP4SM 57 21
                        AD5VC 53 29
                        AE6OU 48 26
                        N0OBG 47 22
                        N9ZXS 46 13
                        WM4B 46 15
                        G7OGX 41 8
                        WB6YTE 41 20
                        VE3MPG 37 17
                        WM5Z 33 14
                        DM58FN 32 23
                        KF6XA 30 8
                        SM0RWO 30 4
                        K4DMU 29 8
                        VE3NVK 21 8
                        N0KBD 19 2
                        WB7AJP 16 7
                        KE7HPV 15 9
                        W2JCN 12 8
                        EN65LL 10 10
                        NR3I 10 9
                        FM29ER 8 8
                        KT4WO 7 5
                        VA7DXR 6 5
                        WB4WBL 5 4
                        FN21WR 4 4
                        W4OE 3 2
                        AG1H 2 2
                        HB9WNM 2 2
                        W3HZM 1 1

                        REPORT ACTIVITY BY HOUR GROUP
                        HOUR - DATE REPORTS
                        14:00 - 10/06 321
                        15:00 - 10/06 1,693
                        16:00 - 10/06 1,913
                        17:00 - 10/06 2,059
                        18:00 - 10/06 2,022
                        19:00 - 10/06 2,115
                        20:00 - 10/06 2,056
                        21:00 - 10/06 2,508
                        22:00 - 10/06 2,611
                        23:00 - 10/06 2,428
                        0:00 - 10/07 1,563
                        1:00 - 10/07 735
                        2:00 - 10/07 202
                        3:00 - 10/07 324
                        4:00 - 10/07 401
                        5:00 - 10/07 286
                        6:00 - 10/07 107
                        7:00 - 10/07 105
                        8:00 - 10/07 260
                        9:00 - 10/07 376
                        10:00 - 10/07 406
                        11:00 - 10/07 842
                        12:00 - 10/07 1,199
                        13:00 - 10/07 1,594
                        14:00 - 10/07 1,299

                        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Nope, it explains it nicely Larry. I thought the same about the
                        level of
                        > activity on Propnet, I think that you are right about the system
                        being
                        > overloaded. I would bet they got some pretty good data over the
                        weekend.
                        > Antway it was all good fun.
                        >
                        > All the best Larry,
                        >
                        > Mike K6BR.

                      • Ev Tupis
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                          Hi Larry,
                          VERY interesting data! Thanks for taking the time to compile and share it with the group! May I have your permission to post it to the PropNET list, too?
                          Ev, W2EV

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                            Ev Tupis wrote:
                            > Hi Larry,
                            > VERY interesting data! Thanks for taking the time to compile and share it with the group! May I have your permission to post it to the PropNET list, too?
                            > Ev, W2EV

                            Sure, Ev, no problem. But remember that it's just a snapshot of a 24
                            hour period.

                            73!
                            Larry - NK2X
                          • Brian
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                            • zl1gbb
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                Only 24 hour log. I wasn't on all weekend. Second day I wasn't heard
                                at all. Then there was the short (1 hour) server. Don't know if that
                                affected the spreadsheet. One thing that the weekend has shown me is
                                that my antenna is rubbish. Doesn't surprise me as G5RVs have
                                problems on 30 meters. New antenna coming up. What is your antenna
                                setup, Mike?

                                Graeme ZL1TA

                                wrote:

                                > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see
                                ZL1ITA, who I
                                > remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he was
                                just not
                                > there when you trapped the data?
                                >

                                > Mike K6BR

                              • Sam Morgan
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                  Larry - NK2X wrote:

                                  > Sure, Ev, no problem. But remember that it's just a snapshot of a 24
                                  > hour period.

                                  glad you cleared that up, I had been wondering where all my contacts went.

                                  I know I had about 20 on the internal propnetpsk programs map, and then the
                                  computer crashed. I'm not sure the culprit, but the combination of Propnet,
                                  firefox and desktopmanager (allows you to have 4 desktops on XP locked it up so
                                  bad a hard shutdown was required.

                                  If I do show up in anyones logs I was running 10w into a 12' tall bugcatcher at
                                  20' (w/16 radials 13' long) from a TS430s and TechTronics SignaLink USB. The
                                  bugcatcher was built for 40m but I used a tuner in the shack to force it to 30m.
                                  On 40m it's only about 50% efficient so I guess I ws really putting out less
                                  than 5w.

                                  Good fun thanks for setting this up.
                                  --
                                  GB & 73's
                                  KA5OAI
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007
                                    Hi Graeme
                                    The antenna i was using here was a dipole tuned for 10.140mhz, with
                                    a perfect match at 100watts carrier.
                                    The peak of the antenna was only up about 18ft at the centre and
                                    about 15ft at the lower ends.
                                    Today i have retuned the dipole for 20mtrs, in future i will use the
                                    stationmaster vertical with tuner, on 30mtrs.
                                    The power i was putting out was 50watts from a Kenwood ts850sat rig.
                                    I set the tx intervils at 6 times an hour.

                                    Good to see you on the weekend.

                                    73's from Jason
                                    ZL2FT
                                    Wanganui.

                                    --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@...> wrote:

                                    > Only 24 hour log. I wasn't on all weekend. Second day I wasn't
                                    heard
                                    > at all. Then there was the short (1 hour) server. Don't know if
                                    that
                                    > affected the spreadsheet. One thing that the weekend has shown me
                                    is
                                    > that my antenna is rubbish. Doesn't surprise me as G5RVs have
                                    > problems on 30 meters. New antenna coming up. What is your antenna
                                    > setup, Mike?
                                    >
                                    > Graeme ZL1TA
                                    >
                                    > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see
                                    > ZL1ITA, who I
                                    > > remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he was
                                    > just not
                                    > > there when you trapped the data?
                                    > >

                                    > > Mike K6BR

                                  • zl1gbb
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                      Hi Jason
                                      Excellent result from you. Looks like your equipment is working
                                      great. Much better than mine. You consistently were heard earlier and
                                      further than me.
                                      Question is...what happened to the other ZL's?
                                      Another point..I was sure I saw some VK's on the waterfall at one
                                      time. I can find no indication of them in the spreadsheet but maybe I
                                      missed them. Were there any VK's or was I imagining them?

                                      Graeme ZL1TA

                                      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <wja@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Graeme
                                      > The antenna i was using here was a dipole tuned for 10.140mhz, with
                                      > a perfect match at 100watts carrier.
                                      > The peak of the antenna was only up about 18ft at the centre and
                                      > about 15ft at the lower ends.
                                      > Today i have retuned the dipole for 20mtrs, in future i will use
                                      the
                                      > stationmaster vertical with tuner, on 30mtrs.
                                      > The power i was putting out was 50watts from a Kenwood ts850sat rig.
                                      > I set the tx intervils at 6 times an hour.
                                      >
                                      > Good to see you on the weekend.
                                      >
                                      > 73's from Jason
                                      > ZL2FT
                                      > Wanganui.
                                      >
                                      > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Only 24 hour log. I wasn't on all weekend. Second day I wasn't
                                      > heard
                                      > > at all. Then there was the short (1 hour) server. Don't know if
                                      > that
                                      > > affected the spreadsheet. One thing that the weekend has shown me
                                      > is
                                      > > that my antenna is rubbish. Doesn't surprise me as G5RVs have
                                      > > problems on 30 meters. New antenna coming up. What is your
                                      antenna
                                      > > setup, Mike?
                                      > >
                                      > > Graeme ZL1TA
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see
                                      > > ZL1ITA, who I
                                      > > > remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he
                                      was
                                      > > just not
                                      > > > there when you trapped the data?
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Mike K6BR

                                    • Jason
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                        Hi Graeme
                                        I think the best bet for good results is to put up a resonent ant
                                        for the freq, even up only 20ft you will get interesting results.
                                        Also i found that my stationmaster vertical cb ant up 20ft had about
                                        2 s-points gain over the dipole, so i will still use that antenna on
                                        30mtrs.
                                        I did see Bill zl3nb on Sat night, but didnot see any vk stations on
                                        at all on the propnet.

                                        cheers from Jason
                                        ZL2FT.

                                      • zl1gbb
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                          Right, found Bill. Went back over the two files and there he was.
                                          However, he was not in the 'Catches' file so looks like he was only
                                          broadcasting or relying on email for his updates.
                                          There were no VK stations in either file.
                                          The size of the files (particularly the mass file) is such to cause
                                          me some problems. My database which I used to allow filtering data
                                          can only handle 32000 records and complains about the size. I really
                                          don't think much of Spreadsheets for number crunching but maybe that
                                          is only a lack of familiarity. Maybe someone has some advice on how
                                          to extract data from comma delimited files? A few pointers, perhaps?
                                          How do you change from a comma delimited file to something either
                                          OpenOffice or Microsoft works Spreadsheet can handle?

                                          Graeme zl1ta

                                          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <wja@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Graeme
                                          > I think the best bet for good results is to put up a resonent ant
                                          > for the freq, even up only 20ft you will get interesting results.
                                          > Also i found that my stationmaster vertical cb ant up 20ft had
                                          about
                                          > 2 s-points gain over the dipole, so i will still use that antenna
                                          on
                                          > 30mtrs.
                                          > I did see Bill zl3nb on Sat night, but didnot see any vk stations
                                          on
                                          > at all on the propnet.
                                          >
                                          > cheers from Jason
                                          > ZL2FT.
                                          >
                                          > -- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi Jason
                                          > > Excellent result from you. Looks like your equipment is working
                                          > > great. Much better than mine. You consistently were heard earlier
                                          > and
                                          > > further than me.
                                          > > Question is...what happened to the other ZL's?
                                          > > Another point..I was sure I saw some VK's on the waterfall at one
                                          > > time. I can find no indication of them in the spreadsheet but
                                          > maybe I
                                          > > missed them. Were there any VK's or was I imagining them?
                                          > >
                                          > > Graeme ZL1TA

                                        • Jon Maguire
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                            Graeme, Google "comma seperated values" and you'll find abundant information on using CSV files in Excel/OO.

                                            73... Jon W1MNK

                                            PS I'm going to put up a 30M antennna once the weather cools a little here in Florida. It seems to be another "magic" band like 6M.

                                            zl1gbb wrote:

                                            Right, found Bill. Went back over the two files and there he was.
                                            However, he was not in the 'Catches' file so looks like he was only
                                            broadcasting or relying on email for his updates.
                                            There were no VK stations in either file.
                                            The size of the files (particularly the mass file) is such to cause
                                            me some problems. My database which I used to allow filtering data
                                            can only handle 32000 records and complains about the size. I really
                                            don't think much of Spreadsheets for number crunching but maybe that
                                            is only a lack of familiarity. Maybe someone has some advice on how
                                            to extract data from comma delimited files? A few pointers, perhaps?
                                            How do you change from a comma delimited file to something either
                                            OpenOffice or Microsoft works Spreadsheet can handle?

                                            Graeme zl1ta

                                            .

                                          • Ev Tupis
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                              Graeme,
                                              Simply open Excel (or Open Office's CALC). Then FILE|OPEN the comma delimited file. Analysis is then limited only by your spreadsheet savvyness.

                                              That is the reason behind releasing the data as a comma delimited file. Let us know what you come up with!

                                              Kind regards,
                                              Ev, W2Ev

                                              Right, found Bill. Went back over the two files and there he was.
                                              However, he was not in the 'Catches' file so looks like he was only
                                              broadcasting or relying on email for his updates.
                                              There were no VK stations in either file.
                                              The size of the files (particularly the mass file) is such to cause
                                              me some problems. My database which I used to allow filtering data
                                              can only handle 32000 records and complains about the size. I really
                                              don't think much of Spreadsheets for number crunching but maybe that
                                              is only a lack of familiarity. Maybe someone has some advice on how
                                              to extract data from comma delimited files? A few pointers, perhaps?
                                              How do you change from a comma delimited file to something either
                                              OpenOffice or Microsoft works Spreadsheet can handle?

                                              Graeme zl1ta

                                              --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <wja@...> wrote:

                                              > Hi Graeme
                                              > I think the best bet for good results is to put up a resonent ant
                                              > for the freq, even up only 20ft you will get interesting results.
                                              > Also i found that my stationmaster vertical cb ant up 20ft had
                                              about
                                              > 2 s-points gain over the dipole, so i will still use that antenna
                                              on
                                              > 30mtrs.
                                              > I did see Bill zl3nb on Sat night, but didnot see any vk stations
                                              on
                                              > at all on the propnet.
                                              >
                                              > cheers from Jason
                                              > ZL2FT.
                                              >
                                              > -- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hi Jason
                                              > > Excellent result from you. Looks like your equipment is working
                                              > > great. Much better than mine. You consistently were heard earlier
                                              > and
                                              > > further than me.
                                              > > Question is...what happened to the other ZL's?
                                              > > Another point..I was sure I saw some VK's on the waterfall at one
                                              > > time. I can find no indication of them in the spreadsheet but
                                              > maybe I
                                              > > missed them. Were there any VK's or was I imagining them?
                                              > >
                                              > > Graeme ZL1TA

                                              Please join in on Thursday and Sunday Night 30mtr PSK activity nights, also when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Sholto KE7HPV

                                              http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/

                                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              http://farechase.yahoo.com/
                                            • zl1gbb
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                                Thanks, Ev. I don't have Excell (only Works) but I will try again
                                                with Calc (which didn't work last time).
                                                Trouble is that I have very little experience with spreadsheets but a
                                                LOT with Databases (such as Paradox). They have heaps of conversions
                                                available for every sort of file imaginable. But Paradox went out
                                                with DOS.
                                                Never mind, I will stumble across something, sometime. No hurry.
                                                There is Dx waiting and that is more important.

                                                73 Graeme zl1ta

                                                --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Ev Tupis <w2ev@...> wrote:

                                                > Graeme,
                                                > Simply open Excel (or Open Office's CALC). Then FILE|OPEN the
                                                comma delimited file. Analysis is then limited only by your
                                                spreadsheet savvyness.

                                                > That is the reason behind releasing the data as a comma delimited
                                                file. Let us know what you come up with!

                                                > Kind regards,
                                                > Ev, W2Ev

                                                ______________
                                                Yahoo! FareChase.
                                                > http://farechase.yahoo.com/

                                              • Ev Tupis
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 11, 2007
                                                  Hi Graeme,
                                                  I've just sent a note to repost the datafiles differently. I didn't realize it, but they are CSV files with an XLS suffix. If you rename them with the CSV suffix, then they will import into both CACL (I just did it myself) and probably any other spreadsheet on the market today (I have an old copy of 1980's vintage VisiCalc...but didn't test it there <grin>).

                                                  Sorry for the miscue. I will ask that the posted datafiles be updated on the PropNET website with the correct suffix later today (the person who can do that is 3-hours behind me).

                                                  Kind regards,
                                                  Ev, W2EV

                                                  Thanks, Ev. I don't have Excell (only Works) but I will try again
                                                  with Calc (which didn't work last time).
                                                  Trouble is that I have very little experience with spreadsheets but a
                                                  LOT with Databases (such as Paradox). They have heaps of conversions
                                                  available for every sort of file imaginable. But Paradox went out
                                                  with DOS.
                                                  Never mind, I will stumble across something, sometime. No hurry.
                                                  There is Dx waiting and that is more important.

                                                  73 Graeme zl1ta

                                                  --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Ev Tupis <w2ev@...> wrote:

                                                  > Graeme,
                                                  > Simply open Excel (or Open Office's CALC). Then FILE|OPEN the
                                                  comma delimited file. Analysis is then limited only by your
                                                  spreadsheet savvyness.

                                                  > That is the reason behind releasing the data as a comma delimited
                                                  file. Let us know what you come up with!

                                                  > Kind regards,
                                                  > Ev, W2Ev

                                                  Yahoo! FareChase.

                                                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658