Re: Wspr

  • John M
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25 10:21 PM
      Hi all...

      Unless I have it wrong....the original suggestion was to only use WSPR to find a spot of another operator....then make contact using another digital mode..

      John
    • G8SQH
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27 12:42 PM
        Dear Harold

        Look at wsprnet.org - there you can see what all the wspr listeners are hearing. That gives you a decent idea where the propagation is. Doesn't actually give a callsign to try - most of the wspr stations are unmanned, but add in pskreporter and you have a fairly good idea where's on

        For me, I discovered that W1JT needed to be >-16dB here for it to be worthwhile calling the East coast on PSK31 - but I am only running 1W from a Softrock. You will quickly get an idea what wspr strength is enough - just remember to add in their TX dB level.

        All my contacts beyond 4500 miles have needed a better mode than PSK31 - contestia or domino are good, mfsk16 isn't bad. 30m will yield decent DX if you are patient (or have a very good antenna). Contestia will work signals you can no longer see or hear - can be slightly spookey!

        73

        --David G8SQH

        --
        <djch-yahoo@...>