Excel File - Propnet Weekend

  • Edward Cobb
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
      Although I was not able to participate, I found this very interesting!
      I took a 24-hour snapshot of the 30m data (roughly 14:47Z 10/6 to
      14:47Z 10/7). I then did some playing with the data. This is not an
      analysis by any means but it does show some interesting things. The
      band "closing" is no surprise. Also, if you participated, you should
      be able to get an idea of how well you get out and how well you can
      hear--and in what directions.

      Feel free to play with or use this any way you want...I'll leave it up
      for a few weeks and then purge it because it's so big (compressed to
      about 2.1 MB).

      It was good to see the band so active!

      73!
      Larry - NK2X
    • Mike, K6BR

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
          Mike, K6BR wrote:

          > Does this mean I am the winner and get an award hi hi, actually not
          > bad for out here on the West Coast, with on two ZL’s behind me.
          >
          > Mike K6Br

          Yup! You get the Energizer Bunny ZAPPER award! ;)

          Actually, I'm envious/ I think it means you get out very well and that
          your antennas hear well, too. I'd love to see this weekend's data tied
          to some info about antennas (and maybe to rigs and software, too)!

          Congrats on what appears to be a pretty good station, Mike! I wish I
          could get out half as well :D

          73!
          Larry - NK2X
        • Mike, K6BR

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
              Larry,

              The station is FT-2000 with 50 watts on PSK and Steppir 3 element with 30/40
              dipole kit attached. I guess it says a lot for the Steppir 30 meter dipole
              really.

              Thanks for putting the data together in a usable form.

              Mike, K6BR

              > Does this mean I am the winner and get an award hi hi, actually not
              > bad for out here on the West Coast, with on two ZL's behind me.
              >
              > Mike K6Br

              Yup! You get the Energizer Bunny ZAPPER award! ;)

              Actually, I'm envious/ I think it means you get out very well and that
              your antennas hear well, too. I'd love to see this weekend's data tied
              to some info about antennas (and maybe to rigs and software, too)!

              Congrats on what appears to be a pretty good station, Mike! I wish I
              could get out half as well :D

              73!
              Larry - NK2X

              Please join in on Thursday and Sunday Night 30mtr PSK activity nights, also
              when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Sholto
              KE7HPV

              http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Larry - NK2X
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                Mike, K6BR wrote:

                > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see ZL1ITA,
                > who I remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he was
                > just not there when you trapped the data?
                >

                > Mike K6BR

                Well, ZL1TA is in the data capture, but only with F6IRF on the 6th.
                Maybe he heard you (or vice versa) some time other than the 24 hours I
                captured.

                I do suspect my data now, though :) -- I deleted about 200 reports which
                had some measure of strangeness -- zero distance shown with same grids
                for 2 stations, same stations catching themselves, or bands other than
                30m shown. I did capture the 30m data on the propnet.org site but it's
                possible it can be corrupt because there was such a huge amount of
                data. I had to cut & paste in "chunks" otherwise the browser kept
                freezing :). I may have deleted some valid catches but that shouldn't
                skew things too badly since it's a fairly large sample.

                I'm sure the propnet folks will be sorting though and digesting the data
                soon...and maybe there is a way to get at the raw data without html
                formatting.

                I think this was a pretty good success, at least for 30m. There is some
                propagation gold in them thar hills ;)

                73
                Larry - NK2X

              • Larry - NK2X
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                  Mike, K6BR wrote:
                  > Larry,
                  >
                  > The station is FT-2000 with 50 watts on PSK and Steppir 3 element with 30/40
                  > dipole kit attached. I guess it says a lot for the Steppir 30 meter dipole
                  > really.
                  >
                  > Thanks for putting the data together in a usable form.
                  >
                  > Mike, K6BR

                  You're welcome -- I enjoy playing with stuff like that.

                  Your rig is one of the reasons I wasn't on this weekend :LOL: -- I just
                  bought a new FT-2000 and don't have it set up for sound-card modes yet.
                  I also haven't worked out all the ways to make it "sing" but that's
                  coming. I have a SignaLink USB interface but no cables for the 5-pin
                  din yet...have some work to do!

                  And that SteppIR has to be the answer! I am building a 5-band hex for
                  the high bands now but only have a dipole and end-fed wire for
                  30m...both low at 25-30 feet! Most of my sig is heating the high clouds
                  :LOL: I will be looking at a 30m-40m hex beam if this 5-bander turns
                  out successfully.

                  73
                  Larry - NK2X
                • Mike, K6BR
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007

                                Hi Larry,

                    I am sure the time for ZL would have been around the 1500 – 1700z time.  The thing that is strange is that if I were in the middle of the country it would point a line out in each direction if a West coast station heard me and an East coast station heard me.  When I hear a ZL or he hears me there is no line short path to ZL.  I could not tell because of the cloud, but it looked like the line from me to ZL (if there was one) went long path.  This would mean the data is not being processed correctly, I would be interested in math involved to generate the map, I would hope Propnet would be using different math for their real data.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                      Mike, K6BR wrote:

                      > Hi Larry,
                      >
                      > I am sure the time for ZL would have been around the 1500 – 1700z
                      > time. The thing that is strange is that if I were in the middle of the
                      > country it would point a line out in each direction if a West coast
                      > station heard me and an East coast station heard me. When I hear a ZL
                      > or he hears me there is no line short path to ZL. I could not tell
                      > because of the cloud, but it looked like the line from me to ZL (if
                      > there was one) went long path. This would mean the data is not being
                      > processed correctly, I would be interested in math involved to
                      > generate the map, I would hope Propnet would be using different math
                      > for their real data.
                      >
                      > Mike

                      Mike,

                      The way I captured the data was to bring up the propnet page, wait for
                      it to load, and then save the page as an html file to my desktop. I then
                      opened the html file (I used Firefox) and copied and pasted the table
                      data into Excel...I copied about 1000-2000 entries at a time. More than
                      that caused the browser to hang.

                      I just went back and looked at the original html file I captured. There
                      are only two entries for ZL1TA in the table. The first is on 10/6 at at
                      15:24:28Z (F6IRF reporting he heard ZL1TA). The second was on 10/7 at
                      16:58:36Z (again, F6IRF reporting he heard ZL1TA). There were no reports
                      directly from ZL1TA in the data I captured. Unless I'm missing
                      something, there's no indication in the data I downloaded showing a link
                      between you and him.

                      ZL2FT had multiple entries in the data I downloaded. One on 10/6 at
                      18:56:19Z reporting he heard F6IRF. There were many ZL2FT reports on
                      10/7. It looks like you saw him on 10/7 at 12:01:55Z (and maybe at other
                      times). Is it possible that you linked with the ZL1 on Saturday before
                      14:43Z?

                      As far as the propnet map, I'm don't know how they derive it. On my
                      captured data, the map does not show a short-path link between you and
                      ZL land. It's pretty hard to tell what other paths might be there
                      because of the way the paths are bunched together. I'm pretty sure this
                      is the first time propnet has seen that level of activity on 30m and it
                      may have taxed their system some.

                      I would expect there will be some formal analysis coming out of propnet
                      in the future. They should have better access to the data and may be
                      able to look at smaller time slices than available on the propnet page.
                      The system (either findu, propnet, my ISP, or my Firefox browser -- and
                      maybe all of them) was severely taxed in downloading the quantity of
                      data and generating the map. That's why I captured the page as an html
                      file first.

                      Hope that wasn't too long.

                      73!
                      Larry - NK2X
                    • Mike, K6BR
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                        Nope, it explains it nicely Larry. I thought the same about the level of
                        activity on Propnet, I think that you are right about the system being
                        overloaded. I would bet they got some pretty good data over the weekend.
                        Antway it was all good fun.

                        All the best Larry,

                        Mike K6BR.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                          Larry THANKS for the fast review of the PropNet weekend with the data
                          that you had...very interesting to say the least! Thanks also to
                          Mike K6BR for running 1500 watts and stacked SteppIR's at 15,000 ft
                          24/7 hihi ..and all those here that participated.

                          For those that might not have Excel I thought I would copy and paste
                          the meat of the file/data that Larry uploaded in our files section
                          here. I think you have it right Larry and 30M IS NOT DEAD!

                          There will be other data to follow I would guess from PropNet or
                          others there that might go over this data and please pass any data or
                          reviews of the 30m POP PropNet weekend on as we get them.

                          Turned out to be a very active event that I think surprised PropNet
                          folks and also many that might not work 30m that often realize what
                          good propagation 30m has!!

                          de kb9umt Don EN50dp 'Playing in Peoria'
                          moderator

                          ******* below Larry's Excel data and main points **********

                          30M IS NOT DEAD :)
                          Total number of entries: 29,069 All zero-distance reports and
                          all reports marked for 10m, 20m, or 6m bands were removed
                          Total number of unique TX calls: 104 Includes a few grids
                          which people used in place of call signs
                          Total number of unique RX calls: 162 Includes a few grids
                          which people used in place of call signs
                          Longest distance: 11,742 ZL2FT - F6IRF (RF70 - JN35)
                          Shortest distance: 5
                          Average distance: 1,087
                          Total number of unique TX grids: 77 Major grid squares
                          only
                          Total number of unique RX grids: 99 Major grid squares
                          only

                          TX CALL ACTIVITY
                          TX CALL REPORTS SENT HEARD BY UNIQUE CALLS
                          K6BR 1,511 98
                          N2MH 1,173 58
                          VE2DC 1,031 101
                          N4CI 1,015 64
                          AF7W 944 90
                          WB2JEP 890 81
                          KD4AC 865 80
                          K6RBS 862 92
                          K5LA 747 89
                          KB9UMT 738 72
                          K1HTV 707 52
                          K4MF 701 75
                          NH7C 689 75
                          WK4U 645 80
                          KD5XB 622 80
                          NI5F 605 85
                          KD5LWU 566 73
                          WB8ILI 529 53
                          AC9S 521 62
                          K4RKM 518 66
                          KI4EIZ 497 56
                          K7EV 493 58
                          KD6RWF 481 65
                          W6CGH 444 69
                          K4BCE 425 65
                          N6TBQ 401 34
                          WB8SKP 400 59
                          WA7GIL 394 68
                          W8TAH 378 54
                          K4ORY 375 55
                          W2EV 364 52
                          W7HD 358 63
                          WD0BFO 356 56
                          WU8Y 345 52
                          N5BIA 344 53
                          WA2WDT 337 41
                          KE4U 318 41
                          F6IRF 317 55
                          K0OG 313 53
                          W3NRG 297 42
                          KB3KJ 271 42
                          W7KMV 269 39
                          KE4JP 268 38
                          WP4JMN 267 49
                          WB2HVF 257 40
                          K4OZS 252 45
                          W0MAF 213 41
                          N0MTC 205 38
                          N5IB 185 48
                          N9XGC 182 27
                          FM18OX 177 39
                          KK4LH 161 21
                          WA7BME 154 55
                          KF4IN 145 33
                          GM3YEH 136 10
                          N7GOC 135 37
                          KT0P 132 40
                          K3YJP 128 15
                          KI4ITV 123 38
                          KF7K 121 22
                          AH6EZ 104 23
                          K7DRA 101 34
                          KE5KVJ 97 39
                          AE5NL 86 18
                          WU9Q 85 22
                          N1CPE 76 17
                          WB0KHQ 72 32
                          AB9LB 71 19
                          WB8IMY 68 29
                          K1EVU 64 18
                          ZL2FT 64 16
                          N5XYO 58 24
                          AK9I 57 22
                          N4LNE 57 24
                          WP4SM 57 21
                          AD5VC 53 29
                          AE6OU 48 26
                          N0OBG 47 22
                          N9ZXS 46 13
                          WM4B 46 15
                          G7OGX 41 8
                          WB6YTE 41 20
                          VE3MPG 37 17
                          WM5Z 33 14
                          DM58FN 32 23
                          KF6XA 30 8
                          SM0RWO 30 4
                          K4DMU 29 8
                          VE3NVK 21 8
                          N0KBD 19 2
                          WB7AJP 16 7
                          KE7HPV 15 9
                          W2JCN 12 8
                          EN65LL 10 10
                          NR3I 10 9
                          FM29ER 8 8
                          KT4WO 7 5
                          VA7DXR 6 5
                          WB4WBL 5 4
                          FN21WR 4 4
                          W4OE 3 2
                          AG1H 2 2
                          HB9WNM 2 2
                          W3HZM 1 1

                          REPORT ACTIVITY BY HOUR GROUP
                          HOUR - DATE REPORTS
                          14:00 - 10/06 321
                          15:00 - 10/06 1,693
                          16:00 - 10/06 1,913
                          17:00 - 10/06 2,059
                          18:00 - 10/06 2,022
                          19:00 - 10/06 2,115
                          20:00 - 10/06 2,056
                          21:00 - 10/06 2,508
                          22:00 - 10/06 2,611
                          23:00 - 10/06 2,428
                          0:00 - 10/07 1,563
                          1:00 - 10/07 735
                          2:00 - 10/07 202
                          3:00 - 10/07 324
                          4:00 - 10/07 401
                          5:00 - 10/07 286
                          6:00 - 10/07 107
                          7:00 - 10/07 105
                          8:00 - 10/07 260
                          9:00 - 10/07 376
                          10:00 - 10/07 406
                          11:00 - 10/07 842
                          12:00 - 10/07 1,199
                          13:00 - 10/07 1,594
                          14:00 - 10/07 1,299

                          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Nope, it explains it nicely Larry. I thought the same about the
                          level of
                          > activity on Propnet, I think that you are right about the system
                          being
                          > overloaded. I would bet they got some pretty good data over the
                          weekend.
                          > Antway it was all good fun.
                          >
                          > All the best Larry,
                          >
                          > Mike K6BR.

                        • Ev Tupis
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                            Hi Larry,
                            VERY interesting data! Thanks for taking the time to compile and share it with the group! May I have your permission to post it to the PropNET list, too?
                            Ev, W2EV

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                              Ev Tupis wrote:
                              > Hi Larry,
                              > VERY interesting data! Thanks for taking the time to compile and share it with the group! May I have your permission to post it to the PropNET list, too?
                              > Ev, W2EV

                              Sure, Ev, no problem. But remember that it's just a snapshot of a 24
                              hour period.

                              73!
                              Larry - NK2X
                            • Brian
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 7, 2007
                              • zl1gbb
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                  Only 24 hour log. I wasn't on all weekend. Second day I wasn't heard
                                  at all. Then there was the short (1 hour) server. Don't know if that
                                  affected the spreadsheet. One thing that the weekend has shown me is
                                  that my antenna is rubbish. Doesn't surprise me as G5RVs have
                                  problems on 30 meters. New antenna coming up. What is your antenna
                                  setup, Mike?

                                  Graeme ZL1TA

                                  wrote:

                                  > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see
                                  ZL1ITA, who I
                                  > remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he was
                                  just not
                                  > there when you trapped the data?
                                  >

                                  > Mike K6BR

                                • Sam Morgan
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 8, 2007
                                    Larry - NK2X wrote:

                                    > Sure, Ev, no problem. But remember that it's just a snapshot of a 24
                                    > hour period.

                                    glad you cleared that up, I had been wondering where all my contacts went.

                                    I know I had about 20 on the internal propnetpsk programs map, and then the
                                    computer crashed. I'm not sure the culprit, but the combination of Propnet,
                                    firefox and desktopmanager (allows you to have 4 desktops on XP locked it up so
                                    bad a hard shutdown was required.

                                    If I do show up in anyones logs I was running 10w into a 12' tall bugcatcher at
                                    20' (w/16 radials 13' long) from a TS430s and TechTronics SignaLink USB. The
                                    bugcatcher was built for 40m but I used a tuner in the shack to force it to 30m.
                                    On 40m it's only about 50% efficient so I guess I ws really putting out less
                                    than 5w.

                                    Good fun thanks for setting this up.
                                    --
                                    GB & 73's
                                    KA5OAI
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 9, 2007
                                      Hi Graeme
                                      The antenna i was using here was a dipole tuned for 10.140mhz, with
                                      a perfect match at 100watts carrier.
                                      The peak of the antenna was only up about 18ft at the centre and
                                      about 15ft at the lower ends.
                                      Today i have retuned the dipole for 20mtrs, in future i will use the
                                      stationmaster vertical with tuner, on 30mtrs.
                                      The power i was putting out was 50watts from a Kenwood ts850sat rig.
                                      I set the tx intervils at 6 times an hour.

                                      Good to see you on the weekend.

                                      73's from Jason
                                      ZL2FT
                                      Wanganui.

                                      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@...> wrote:

                                      > Only 24 hour log. I wasn't on all weekend. Second day I wasn't
                                      heard
                                      > at all. Then there was the short (1 hour) server. Don't know if
                                      that
                                      > affected the spreadsheet. One thing that the weekend has shown me
                                      is
                                      > that my antenna is rubbish. Doesn't surprise me as G5RVs have
                                      > problems on 30 meters. New antenna coming up. What is your antenna
                                      > setup, Mike?
                                      >
                                      > Graeme ZL1TA
                                      >
                                      > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see
                                      > ZL1ITA, who I
                                      > > remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he was
                                      > just not
                                      > > there when you trapped the data?
                                      > >

                                      > > Mike K6BR

                                    • zl1gbb
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                        Hi Jason
                                        Excellent result from you. Looks like your equipment is working
                                        great. Much better than mine. You consistently were heard earlier and
                                        further than me.
                                        Question is...what happened to the other ZL's?
                                        Another point..I was sure I saw some VK's on the waterfall at one
                                        time. I can find no indication of them in the spreadsheet but maybe I
                                        missed them. Were there any VK's or was I imagining them?

                                        Graeme ZL1TA

                                        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <wja@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Graeme
                                        > The antenna i was using here was a dipole tuned for 10.140mhz, with
                                        > a perfect match at 100watts carrier.
                                        > The peak of the antenna was only up about 18ft at the centre and
                                        > about 15ft at the lower ends.
                                        > Today i have retuned the dipole for 20mtrs, in future i will use
                                        the
                                        > stationmaster vertical with tuner, on 30mtrs.
                                        > The power i was putting out was 50watts from a Kenwood ts850sat rig.
                                        > I set the tx intervils at 6 times an hour.
                                        >
                                        > Good to see you on the weekend.
                                        >
                                        > 73's from Jason
                                        > ZL2FT
                                        > Wanganui.
                                        >
                                        > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Only 24 hour log. I wasn't on all weekend. Second day I wasn't
                                        > heard
                                        > > at all. Then there was the short (1 hour) server. Don't know if
                                        > that
                                        > > affected the spreadsheet. One thing that the weekend has shown me
                                        > is
                                        > > that my antenna is rubbish. Doesn't surprise me as G5RVs have
                                        > > problems on 30 meters. New antenna coming up. What is your
                                        antenna
                                        > > setup, Mike?
                                        > >
                                        > > Graeme ZL1TA
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I am Looking at the spreadsheet. I see ZL2FT, but do not see
                                        > > ZL1ITA, who I
                                        > > > remember seeing on both the TX and RX log, does this mean he
                                        was
                                        > > just not
                                        > > > there when you trapped the data?
                                        > > >

                                        > > > Mike K6BR

                                      • Jason
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                          Hi Graeme
                                          I think the best bet for good results is to put up a resonent ant
                                          for the freq, even up only 20ft you will get interesting results.
                                          Also i found that my stationmaster vertical cb ant up 20ft had about
                                          2 s-points gain over the dipole, so i will still use that antenna on
                                          30mtrs.
                                          I did see Bill zl3nb on Sat night, but didnot see any vk stations on
                                          at all on the propnet.

                                          cheers from Jason
                                          ZL2FT.

                                        • zl1gbb
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                            Right, found Bill. Went back over the two files and there he was.
                                            However, he was not in the 'Catches' file so looks like he was only
                                            broadcasting or relying on email for his updates.
                                            There were no VK stations in either file.
                                            The size of the files (particularly the mass file) is such to cause
                                            me some problems. My database which I used to allow filtering data
                                            can only handle 32000 records and complains about the size. I really
                                            don't think much of Spreadsheets for number crunching but maybe that
                                            is only a lack of familiarity. Maybe someone has some advice on how
                                            to extract data from comma delimited files? A few pointers, perhaps?
                                            How do you change from a comma delimited file to something either
                                            OpenOffice or Microsoft works Spreadsheet can handle?

                                            Graeme zl1ta

                                            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <wja@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Graeme
                                            > I think the best bet for good results is to put up a resonent ant
                                            > for the freq, even up only 20ft you will get interesting results.
                                            > Also i found that my stationmaster vertical cb ant up 20ft had
                                            about
                                            > 2 s-points gain over the dipole, so i will still use that antenna
                                            on
                                            > 30mtrs.
                                            > I did see Bill zl3nb on Sat night, but didnot see any vk stations
                                            on
                                            > at all on the propnet.
                                            >
                                            > cheers from Jason
                                            > ZL2FT.
                                            >
                                            > -- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi Jason
                                            > > Excellent result from you. Looks like your equipment is working
                                            > > great. Much better than mine. You consistently were heard earlier
                                            > and
                                            > > further than me.
                                            > > Question is...what happened to the other ZL's?
                                            > > Another point..I was sure I saw some VK's on the waterfall at one
                                            > > time. I can find no indication of them in the spreadsheet but
                                            > maybe I
                                            > > missed them. Were there any VK's or was I imagining them?
                                            > >
                                            > > Graeme ZL1TA

                                          • Jon Maguire
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                              Graeme, Google "comma seperated values" and you'll find abundant information on using CSV files in Excel/OO.

                                              73... Jon W1MNK

                                              PS I'm going to put up a 30M antennna once the weather cools a little here in Florida. It seems to be another "magic" band like 6M.

                                              zl1gbb wrote:

                                              Right, found Bill. Went back over the two files and there he was.
                                              However, he was not in the 'Catches' file so looks like he was only
                                              broadcasting or relying on email for his updates.
                                              There were no VK stations in either file.
                                              The size of the files (particularly the mass file) is such to cause
                                              me some problems. My database which I used to allow filtering data
                                              can only handle 32000 records and complains about the size. I really
                                              don't think much of Spreadsheets for number crunching but maybe that
                                              is only a lack of familiarity. Maybe someone has some advice on how
                                              to extract data from comma delimited files? A few pointers, perhaps?
                                              How do you change from a comma delimited file to something either
                                              OpenOffice or Microsoft works Spreadsheet can handle?

                                              Graeme zl1ta

                                              .

                                            • Ev Tupis
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                                Graeme,
                                                Simply open Excel (or Open Office's CALC). Then FILE|OPEN the comma delimited file. Analysis is then limited only by your spreadsheet savvyness.

                                                That is the reason behind releasing the data as a comma delimited file. Let us know what you come up with!

                                                Kind regards,
                                                Ev, W2Ev

                                                Right, found Bill. Went back over the two files and there he was.
                                                However, he was not in the 'Catches' file so looks like he was only
                                                broadcasting or relying on email for his updates.
                                                There were no VK stations in either file.
                                                The size of the files (particularly the mass file) is such to cause
                                                me some problems. My database which I used to allow filtering data
                                                can only handle 32000 records and complains about the size. I really
                                                don't think much of Spreadsheets for number crunching but maybe that
                                                is only a lack of familiarity. Maybe someone has some advice on how
                                                to extract data from comma delimited files? A few pointers, perhaps?
                                                How do you change from a comma delimited file to something either
                                                OpenOffice or Microsoft works Spreadsheet can handle?

                                                Graeme zl1ta

                                                --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <wja@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Graeme
                                                > I think the best bet for good results is to put up a resonent ant
                                                > for the freq, even up only 20ft you will get interesting results.
                                                > Also i found that my stationmaster vertical cb ant up 20ft had
                                                about
                                                > 2 s-points gain over the dipole, so i will still use that antenna
                                                on
                                                > 30mtrs.
                                                > I did see Bill zl3nb on Sat night, but didnot see any vk stations
                                                on
                                                > at all on the propnet.
                                                >
                                                > cheers from Jason
                                                > ZL2FT.
                                                >
                                                > -- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "zl1gbb" <zl1gbb@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi Jason
                                                > > Excellent result from you. Looks like your equipment is working
                                                > > great. Much better than mine. You consistently were heard earlier
                                                > and
                                                > > further than me.
                                                > > Question is...what happened to the other ZL's?
                                                > > Another point..I was sure I saw some VK's on the waterfall at one
                                                > > time. I can find no indication of them in the spreadsheet but
                                                > maybe I
                                                > > missed them. Were there any VK's or was I imagining them?
                                                > >
                                                > > Graeme ZL1TA

                                                Please join in on Thursday and Sunday Night 30mtr PSK activity nights, also when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Sholto KE7HPV

                                                http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                http://farechase.yahoo.com/
                                              • zl1gbb
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 10, 2007
                                                  Thanks, Ev. I don't have Excell (only Works) but I will try again
                                                  with Calc (which didn't work last time).
                                                  Trouble is that I have very little experience with spreadsheets but a
                                                  LOT with Databases (such as Paradox). They have heaps of conversions
                                                  available for every sort of file imaginable. But Paradox went out
                                                  with DOS.
                                                  Never mind, I will stumble across something, sometime. No hurry.
                                                  There is Dx waiting and that is more important.

                                                  73 Graeme zl1ta

                                                  --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Ev Tupis <w2ev@...> wrote:

                                                  > Graeme,
                                                  > Simply open Excel (or Open Office's CALC). Then FILE|OPEN the
                                                  comma delimited file. Analysis is then limited only by your
                                                  spreadsheet savvyness.

                                                  > That is the reason behind releasing the data as a comma delimited
                                                  file. Let us know what you come up with!

                                                  > Kind regards,
                                                  > Ev, W2Ev

                                                  ______________
                                                  Yahoo! FareChase.
                                                  > http://farechase.yahoo.com/

                                                • Ev Tupis
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 11, 2007
                                                    Hi Graeme,
                                                    I've just sent a note to repost the datafiles differently. I didn't realize it, but they are CSV files with an XLS suffix. If you rename them with the CSV suffix, then they will import into both CACL (I just did it myself) and probably any other spreadsheet on the market today (I have an old copy of 1980's vintage VisiCalc...but didn't test it there <grin>).

                                                    Sorry for the miscue. I will ask that the posted datafiles be updated on the PropNET website with the correct suffix later today (the person who can do that is 3-hours behind me).

                                                    Kind regards,
                                                    Ev, W2EV

                                                    Thanks, Ev. I don't have Excell (only Works) but I will try again
                                                    with Calc (which didn't work last time).
                                                    Trouble is that I have very little experience with spreadsheets but a
                                                    LOT with Databases (such as Paradox). They have heaps of conversions
                                                    available for every sort of file imaginable. But Paradox went out
                                                    with DOS.
                                                    Never mind, I will stumble across something, sometime. No hurry.
                                                    There is Dx waiting and that is more important.

                                                    73 Graeme zl1ta

                                                    --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Ev Tupis <w2ev@...> wrote:

                                                    > Graeme,
                                                    > Simply open Excel (or Open Office's CALC). Then FILE|OPEN the
                                                    comma delimited file. Analysis is then limited only by your
                                                    spreadsheet savvyness.

                                                    > That is the reason behind releasing the data as a comma delimited
                                                    file. Let us know what you come up with!

                                                    > Kind regards,
                                                    > Ev, W2Ev

                                                    Yahoo! FareChase.

                                                    http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658