Re: 30MDG Hits member 5,000!!!! G4WLC Nick member 5,000....now at 5,007 members

  • snarkotron2001
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2011
      Oh that's me ! ... G4WLC #5000 :-)
      Hi guys. Yes it was a fun radio weekend. I didn't previously know this club existed. I worked ZL30MDG and read about it on qrz.com So I signed up, read about the weekend event, and stayed on 30m pretty much all weekend. It was great to be able to try out some exotic modes. I do remember working Hell with you Fred :-)

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "dl6xaz" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

      > Hi Don,
      > so there we are all happy campers, with the group growing steadily! Nick, glad to have worked you in Hell80 tonight. Have a good time on the band and in this group!
      > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988
      >
      > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@> wrote:
      > >
      > > GM,
      > >
      > > Happy to report that this could not have been timed better...30MDG has hit the 5,000 membership mark! TU Nick G4WLC for member 5,000!! Congrats to the group here and at 5,007 members...so on we go!
      > >
      > > Have fun this weekend and have meet a few of you on the band in different modes thus far (staying up late for EU and OC DX was good!).
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
      > > www.30mdg.net

    • WA8JXM
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2011
        On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:28 PM, snarkotron2001 wrote:

        > t was great to be able to try out some exotic modes.

        Just what are the "exotic modes"? The more I read, I find out that some of the modes have been around for years.

        Is there anyplace that gives a good comparison of **ALL** the current digital modes and submodes? What are their advantages/disadvantages? What are they best used for?

        As I look around, I find some limited information on some of the modes, but no "across the board" comparison.

        I'm running fldigi, so there are a bunch of modes there that I don't know if they are esoteric, obsolete, or what.

        Thanks,

        Ken WA8JXM
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2011
          Ken,
          nobody can take the burden from you, to search, read, learn and try them modes. If it should be helpful for you, have a look at
          http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/
          and also at the mode descriptions/samples contained in the fldigi help files.
          There is NO mode which might be esoteric (whatever that may be defined as), and outdated is rtty only, althought quite vivid still.
          All got their pros and contras.
          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, WA8JXM <wa8jxm@...> wrote:

          > On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:28 PM, snarkotron2001 wrote:
          >
          > > t was great to be able to try out some exotic modes.
          >
          > Just what are the "exotic modes"? The more I read, I find out that some of the modes have been around for years.
          >
          > Is there anyplace that gives a good comparison of **ALL** the current digital modes and submodes? What are their advantages/disadvantages? What are they best used for?
          >
          > As I look around, I find some limited information on some of the modes, but no "across the board" comparison.
          >
          > I'm running fldigi, so there are a bunch of modes there that I don't know if they are esoteric, obsolete, or what.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ken WA8JXM

        • Siegfried Jackstien
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2011
            In the help file of multipsk is a description of its different modes ...
            speed, needed bandwidth, needed s/n ratio ... etc
            Dg9bfc
            sigi

          • WA8JXM
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 7, 2011
              Thanks. That sounds like the sort of thing I was looking for, unfortunately it won't run on my computer (Macintosh) :(

              Ken

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2011
                You got mail!!
                Dg9bfc
                Sigi

              • IZ1TGH Roberto Waha
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8, 2011
                  2011/6/8 WA8JXM <wa8jxm@...>
                   Thanks. That sounds like the sort of thing I was looking for, unfortunately it won't run on my computer (Macintosh) :(

                  Try fldigi.
                  It works fine on Macs as well.
                  At this link you will also find the online help with samples of all the digimodes supported.

                  +------------=* IZ1TGH Roberto Waha - IZ1TGH@... *=-------------+
                  |          El Senyor és la meva força, el Senyor el meu cant.         |
                  |       Ell m'ha estat la salvació. En Ell confío i no tinc por.      |
                • ve3oij
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 8, 2011
                    I always assumed "exotic mode" is when the operator is transmitting while naked.

                    In general, I try to avoid exotic mode, especially on SSTV / ATV

                    73 de VE3OIJ
                    -Darin

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, WA8JXM <wa8jxm@...> wrote:

                    > On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:28 PM, snarkotron2001 wrote:
                    >
                    > > t was great to be able to try out some exotic modes.
                    >
                    > Just what are the "exotic modes"? The more I read, I find out that some of the modes have been around for years.
                    >
                    > Is there anyplace that gives a good comparison of **ALL** the current digital modes and submodes? What are their advantages/disadvantages? What are they best used for?
                    >
                    > As I look around, I find some limited information on some of the modes, but no "across the board" comparison.
                    >
                    > I'm running fldigi, so there are a bunch of modes there that I don't know if they are esoteric, obsolete, or what.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Ken WA8JXM

                  • WA8JXM
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 8, 2011
                      You are confusing your X's and R's ;-)

                      Ken

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 9, 2011
                        ... in some cases it wouldn't make a big difference anyway!
                        Never mind that, and considering the SSTV on 20m and the type of pictures transmitted especially by our friends in the Mediterranean area, it seems to me that female anatomy is more important to them than anything else.
                        Boys: we have seen it all, it's nothing new any more!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 10, 2011
                          Hi Ken,
                          The suggestion of MultiPSK help files a great one...but since you can't run that on your machine you might email Patrick F6CTE and see if he has those files in a word document. I have found Patrick to always answer my emails and is just a great asset to digital Hams, he is a great op and person.

                          Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                          www.30mdg.net

                          MultiPSK info here:

                          http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, WA8JXM <wa8jxm@...> wrote:

                          > On Jun 6, 2011, at 12:28 PM, snarkotron2001 wrote:
                          >
                          > > t was great to be able to try out some exotic modes.
                          >
                          > Just what are the "exotic modes"? The more I read, I find out that some of the modes have been around for years.
                          >
                          > Is there anyplace that gives a good comparison of **ALL** the current digital modes and submodes? What are their advantages/disadvantages? What are they best used for?
                          >
                          > As I look around, I find some limited information on some of the modes, but no "across the board" comparison.
                          >
                          > I'm running fldigi, so there are a bunch of modes there that I don't know if they are esoteric, obsolete, or what.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Ken WA8JXM

                        • Phil Williams
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                            MultiPSK is an outstanding application....philw de ka1gmn

                            --
                            Philw de KA1GMN
                          • Andy obrien
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                              The "exotic"  modes are usually references to modes that are not heard very often.

                              Here is the mode guide..

                              Common As Crows Or Pigeons (seen daily almost everywhere, any time of day):  PSK31, JT65A,

                              Common as Starlins or Sparrows (Seen daily almost everywhere but you might have to wait a few minutes to an hour or so) WSPR,  RTTY 45, PACTOR, 300 Baud Packet, Regular SSTV, ALE141, QRSs.

                              Common Finches (not uncommon but you can go several hours without hearing them) Olivia, PSK63, PSK125, MFSK16, Feld-Hell, FSK441, ROS,

                              Wood Thrush (Sometimes around quite a bit but can disappear for days at a time, not as common in certain geographic areas ).  Thor, Throb,ThrobX,  MT63, NP-73 SSTV, PSK500 (Europe) Contestia, JT6M, FMHell, Robust Packet.

                              Yellow-eyed Junco (can often go 1-2 weeks  without hearing, often restricted to the Americas):  DominoF, DominoEX, Hell 80, JT4A, JT65B, JT65C, DIANA, MFSK8, QPSK31, QPSK63, ALE400. RTTY 50/75. PSK10, PSK63F, DTMF, ISCAT

                              Madagascar Pochard (you may never hear them, sometimes just once in a blue moon)  ) Chip64, PSKAM10, PSK220F, PAX/PAX2, AMTOR, MFSK64. MFSK128, PSKH, RTTYM, JT4B, JT4C, JT4D, JT4E, JT4F. JT4G, Echo. PACTOR 4 (rumored sightings  only)

                              Andy K3UK

                              --
                              Philw de KA1GMN

                            • WA8JXM
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                                Andy,

                                Cute, but helpful. Thanks,

                                Ken

                                On Jun 11, 2011, at 6:40 AM, Andy obrien wrote:

                                > The "exotic" modes are usually references to modes that are not heard very often.
                                >
                                > Here is the mode guide..
                                >
                                > Common As Crows Or Pigeons (seen daily almost everywhere, any time of day): PSK31, JT65A,
                                >
                                > Common as Starlins or Sparrows (Seen daily almost everywhere but you might have to wait a few minutes to an hour or so) WSPR, RTTY 45, PACTOR, 300 Baud Packet, Regular SSTV, ALE141, QRSs.
                                >
                                > Common Finches (not uncommon but you can go several hours without hearing them) Olivia, PSK63, PSK125, MFSK16, Feld-Hell, FSK441, ROS,
                                >
                                > Wood Thrush (Sometimes around quite a bit but can disappear for days at a time, not as common in certain geographic areas ). Thor, Throb,ThrobX, MT63, NP-73 SSTV, PSK500 (Europe) Contestia, JT6M, FMHell, Robust Packet.
                                >
                                > Yellow-eyed Junco (can often go 1-2 weeks without hearing, often restricted to the Americas): DominoF, DominoEX, Hell 80, JT4A, JT65B, JT65C, DIANA, MFSK8, QPSK31, QPSK63, ALE400. RTTY 50/75. PSK10, PSK63F, DTMF, ISCAT
                                >
                                > Madagascar Pochard (you may never hear them, sometimes just once in a blue moon) ) Chip64, PSKAM10, PSK220F, PAX/PAX2, AMTOR, MFSK64. MFSK128, PSKH, RTTYM, JT4B, JT4C, JT4D, JT4E, JT4F. JT4G, Echo. PACTOR 4 (rumored sightings only)
                                >
                                > Andy K3UK
                              • Phil Williams
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011

                                  Well done Andy.

                                  Philw de KA1GMN

                                  On Jun 11, 2011 5:40 AM, "Andy obrien" <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

                                  The "exotic"  modes are usually references to modes that are not heard very often.

                                  Here is the mode guide..

                                  Common As Crows Or Pigeons (seen daily almost everywhere, any time of day):  PSK31, JT65A,

                                  Common as Starlins or Sparrows (Seen daily almost everywhere but you might have to wait a few minutes to an hour or so) WSPR,  RTTY 45, PACTOR, 300 Baud Packet, Regular SSTV, ALE141, QRSs.

                                  Common Finches (not uncommon but you can go several hours without hearing them) Olivia, PSK63, PSK125, MFSK16, Feld-Hell, FSK441, ROS,

                                  Wood Thrush (Sometimes around quite a bit but can disappear for days at a time, not as common in certain geographic areas ).  Thor, Throb,ThrobX,  MT63, NP-73 SSTV, PSK500 (Europe) Contestia, JT6M, FMHell, Robust Packet.

                                  Yellow-eyed Junco (can often go 1-2 weeks  without hearing, often restricted to the Americas):  DominoF, DominoEX, Hell 80, JT4A, JT65B, JT65C, DIANA, MFSK8, QPSK31, QPSK63, ALE400. RTTY 50/75. PSK10, PSK63F, DTMF, ISCAT

                                  Madagascar Pochard (you may never hear them, sometimes just once in a blue moon)  ) Chip64, PSKAM10, PSK220F, PAX/PAX2, AMTOR, MFSK64. MFSK128, PSKH, RTTYM, JT4B, JT4C, JT4D, JT4E, JT4F. JT4G, Echo. PACTOR 4 (rumored sightings  only)

                                  Andy K3UK

                                  On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                                  > MultiPSK is an outstanding application....philw de ka1gmn

                                  > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Don <dhobson123@...> wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >> Hi Ken,

                                  Philw de KA1GMN