Re: [30MDG] Re: DIANA mode?

  • signal
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2011
      I'm not sure exactly how many characters you can send at one time but it looks to be close to 30.

      73
      Eddy
      N4ABN

      On 5/31/2011 8:40 PM, John M wrote:

      Hi all.

      This idea of freehand is a bit confusing....how are you using Diana. What I see is a similar format as JT65, I guess you can type in what you want to. But I thought it was still limited to about 13 or so Characters...

      Had a listen last evening here, but have been getting some bad weather in Sydney so plenty of static and such but not many signals of anything.

      John

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 4, 2011
        Hi Bill N9DSJ,

        Any reports on activity on Diana mode and how it might compare to other weak signal modes? Also any more details on operation/setup apprecatied....and using this on 10.136 then?

        Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
        www.30mdg.net

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 13, 2011
          Hi folks,
          just this morning Paul G0UZP and myself did our first Diana QSO on 10142; it worked remarkably well, although I think I should do RTFM because I was just doing the usual WSJT procedure. It is too early to give any comparisons. Today the band was clean, little QSB although propagation was not at its best on that 600 miles distance. Power 30W approx., ant. homebrew vertical monoband, as usual.
          Thanks for a new one, Paul.
          Vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bill N9DSJ,
          >
          > Any reports on activity on Diana mode and how it might compare to other weak signal modes? Also any more details on operation/setup apprecatied....and using this on 10.136 then?
          >
          > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
          > www.30mdg.net
          >

          > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n9dsj" <n9dsj@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi John,
          > >
          > > Yes, the default exchange format is the same as any WSJT mode. You have the option of typing a "free hand" message of any content up to 30 characters. So while the default is a typical JT65x exchange, you can also have a conversation, albeit truncated at 30 characters per 30 second exchange with no FEC.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > >
          > > Bill N9DSJ
          > >

          > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "John M" <vk2fak@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi all.
          > > >
          > > > This idea of freehand is a bit confusing....how are you using Diana. What I see is a similar format as JT65, I guess you can type in what you want to. But I thought it was still limited to about 13 or so Characters...
          > > >
          > > > Had a listen last evening here, but have been getting some bad weather in Sydney so plenty of static and such but not many signals of anything.
          > > >
          > > > John

        • jean raynaud
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 13, 2011
            Le 13/06/2011 09:24, dl6xaz a écrit :

            Hi folks,
            just this morning Paul G0UZP and myself did our first Diana QSO on 10142; it worked remarkably well, although I think I should do RTFM because I was just doing the usual WSJT procedure. It is too early to give any comparisons. Today the band was clean, little QSB although propagation was not at its best on that 600 miles distance. Power 30W approx., ant. homebrew vertical monoband, as usual.
            Thanks for a new one, Paul.
            Vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bill N9DSJ,
            >
            > Any reports on activity on Diana mode and how it might compare to other weak signal modes? Also any more details on operation/setup apprecatied....and using this on 10.136 then?
            >
            > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
            > www.30mdg.net
            >

            > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "n9dsj" <n9dsj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi John,
            > >
            > > Yes, the default exchange format is the same as any WSJT mode. You have the option of typing a "free hand" message of any content up to 30 characters. So while the default is a typical JT65x exchange, you can also have a conversation, albeit truncated at 30 characters per 30 second exchange with no FEC.
            > >
            > > 73,
            > >
            > > Bill N9DSJ
            > >

            > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "John M" <vk2fak@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hi all.
            > > >
            > > > This idea of freehand is a bit confusing....how are you using Diana. What I see is a similar format as JT65, I guess you can type in what you want to. But I thought it was still limited to about 13 or so Characters...
            > > >
            > > > Had a listen last evening here, but have been getting some bad weather in Sydney so plenty of static and such but not many signals of anything.
            > > >
            > > > John

            Paul,

            I also did some QSO in Diana. The TxDF button is badly missing, so it is necessary to leave the green line centered on zero scale and use the main knob of the tcvr for tuning in TX, but it works fine. Yet I'm afraid it came too late unfortunately...

            73, see you on this mode

            Jean F8RZ

          • signal
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 13, 2011
              Hi Fred, I've made one or two Diana mode qso but only short distances. I recall having to send the same messages a couple of times because the other station wasn't decoding clearly. My call sign wasn't decoding clear. I knew it was me they were replying to but was trying to get a clear decode. Eventually in a couple of the messages it would decode correctly. In JT65 it's never worked that way.

              Just my observations.

              73
              Eddy
              N4ABN

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 13, 2011
                Thanks very much, Jean, for that advice. I was indeed looking for that button as I was some 50Hz off frequency but Paul followed me. Anyway, shall see what this mode brings.
                vy73 mercis - Fred DL6XAZ

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 13, 2011
                  Eddy - thanks. Yes, I received one block garbled, too, but Paul repeated it anyway so it was no problem. Maybe Joe - or someone else - could add a bit more information about this mode and its proper usage in some short help file.
                  vy73 Fred DL6XAZ