HFA 100 award

  • Scott Currier
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2011

      The HFA 100 award is unique in that it's impossible to get because getting it requires that you already have the award.

      Since it's an award and the HFA 100 requires 100 percent of the awards to qualify, if you have all of the awards except for HFA 100 you still technically don't qualify.

      However, if they give you the award anyway after you have gotten all of the others, when you get it, you will then be qualified for it, despite the fact that they shouldn't have given it to you in the first place because you weren't qualified before you got it.

      See what happens when you can't sleep and you stay up all night? You come up with weird stuff like this.

      Good condx tonite. I was hearing a couple of EU stations on 30 cw at 10 to 20 db over S9 on the FT1000D which is the strongest I have ever heard EU on 30.

      Yaesu uses 6db per s unit, instead of 4 like Icom does, so a 10 to 20 db over S9 signal is very strong. My Icom probably would have shown it as 30 to 40 over.

      VK and ZL coming through as well.

      I've been operating roughly midnight to 3:30am Saturday local time. That's 0400z to 0730z.

      Been working JT65 at 5 watts and am having good luck. Able to work around the US and EU with no difficulty.

      No luck with ZS, or ZL at 5 watts as of yet.

      73 and good nite.

    • don leitch
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2011

        Scott I did listen this evening about 5.00 z two EU  (a pa9 and an ha)   stations calling cq that was it on jt65 and one on cw ( ov1 ). For me anyway.

        We have a nasty low pressure system to the west from one end of the country to the other and a cloud band on the east, full of lightening,  causing all sorts of noise, its been hanging about for days, causing a tornado a few miles away from me. That’s pretty rare in this part of the world. Its now winter and the heat generated by that system was well into the low 20’s.c  I have never in my life seen anything like it. So probably not going to work us down here for the next few days anyway.

        Don zl1atb

        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2011
          Hi Don, nice to hear from you again. That OV1 on CW was one of the stations that were s9 + 10db that nite. Very unusual. Ok on your weather. Didn't realize you guys got tornadoes. I did work ZL3GA I think it was around the time of my last post. Finished up the first ANZA award for me which was nice.

          Now I only need one more ZL call area and I'll have the ZL award.

          We had lightning on Saturday during the day, disconnected the antenna from the equipment and stayed off the air for most of the day because of it.

          I hope the tornado was relatively weak and didn't cause much damage.

          Thanks for the reply and I hope things are going well with you. Our spring is starting out well. No bad weather yet. For us the worst is usually in late May and June. We can count on a few tornadoes in New England here but they're usually relatively weak and short lived. Last summer I remember tornadoes in ME, VT, NH, and CT. Don't recall any here in MA

          73 and good dx.

          Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

          To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
          From: don@...
          Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 20:02:54 +1200
          Subject: RE: [30MDG] HFA 100 award

          Message 4 of 8 , May 9, 2011

            Tnx scott I will keep looking for you saw one Us station last night was all.

            The tornados are rare here  it took out a shopping mall and a building contractor was killed split his head open . someone said almost to the day that area had another tornado and one killed 20 years ago. And Christchurch had another aftershock ( 5.4 ) this morning that’s 5490  shocks so far  , when will it end

            Don zl1atb

            From: don@...
            Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 20:02:54 +1200

[...]

          • Siegfried Jackstien
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2011
              Don: it will end if you move to northern germany .... no tornados
              Mild winter and not to warm summer
              Greetz and good luck
              Dg9bfc
              Sigi

            • Scott Currier
              Message 6 of 8 , May 9, 2011
                The BBC had a nice report on that tornado, including some very good video.

                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13273059

                Looks like a small but very violent funnel. I wonder what it will be rated at?

                2011 so far, and late 2010 have been a bad year for earthquakes and weather. Part of the US 4th call area was hit hard by tornadoes late last month.

                Wonder what we're going to get here in the North East, we're long overdue for a strong hurricane. We'll see.

                73 and good DX.

                Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                From: don@...
                Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 08:46:09 +1200

                From: don@...
                Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 20:02:54 +1200

                Message 7 of 8 , May 9, 2011

                  Sieg my niece lives in Germany she loves it, life has been very good to her, up until now. They are both architects, into art history.

                   She’s had a brain damaged baby, and coming home to be with family .

                  I guess no matter where you are things can go wrong.

                  Don zl1atb

                  Don: it will end if you move to northern germany .... no tornados
                  Mild winter and not to warm summer
                  Greetz and good luck
                  Dg9bfc
                  Sigi

                • Siegfried Jackstien
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 10, 2011
                    Agreed 100% ...
                    Ny girl LEFT home on Saturday ...threw 3 years away ...
                    We had planned to make the house better (building new rooms for eventually
                    kids) ... marriage ... etc .... but now she left all
                    How about sex? Oh no not for me as life is f...ing me every day
                    Other mothers have also beauty daughters ...
                    Sigi
                    Life canbe so hard for sure