Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Re: Further promo of events....

  • o22sail@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
      I is...I is...and I have a lot more to say,.But, I will not do it here.
      Arrgghh...
      :-)
      Trey-

      Bill Carney <ZL3NB@...> wrote:
      Trey Are referring to the "Shack on the Belt" generation.. ...?? Hi Hi

      de Bill ZL3NB

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
        Trey,

        Great that you tried to promote the event but don't get too down
        about some other Hams not so interested. Really its all good, we all
        have different interests in Ham Radio so what you might be into at
        the moment might not be others cup of tea at this time and even your
        interests will change over time...we have a great hobby/service with
        hundreds of things to do and something for everyone! All you can do
        is what you did, put the word out.

        I have to say that if you think about it we really are limited to a
        small small percentage of Hams that will be interested, why? Well,
        some only use voice/ssb, some cw, some digital, some multi modes,
        some other digital modes like rtty, some multi soundcard modes...so
        our selected group that might try psk or multi digi modes are few
        really when you think about Ham Radio ops as a whole. Then factor in
        that those that are digital ready might want to be in the PSK contest
        this weekend and fewer yet might join in on events on a non contest
        band like 30m but then again how perfect for those that don't like
        the contests of 599 reports and no space...30 is perfect!

        I remember back in I think 2001 or 2002 going to a local Ham club
        meeting some 20 miles from the house because one of my friends wanted
        me to introduce the Hams there on WSJT weeksignal digital modes
        (Meteor Scatter-MS and EME) since I played with them and had good
        luck. So I brought the laptop, sound examples, pics, etc etc...setup
        put lots of time in it and I have to say they looked at me like I was
        nuts!! I had a good laugh and thought maybe it was something they
        just were not into, understood, or wanted to try..it was funny
        really. I put the word out and it actually got a couple of them
        later interested to the point they are some main EME and weaksignal
        players in our area here...so plant the seed and go forward.

        Good job...but they do things I'm not interested in but respect there
        efforts and listen because I might try and like other things down the
        road. Have fun!

        de kb9umt Don EN50dp 'Playing in Peoria'
        moderator

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
          Thanks Bill!! That is great! Thanks for all you do and I hope the
          ZL/VK weekend is half as busy as the PropNet map is already..wow,
          have you looked at it? Looks like a big black blob but that should
          ell you 30m a great band, hope to get some more DX stations this
          weekend to show the band openings on 30m.

          Thanks again.
          de kb9umt Don
          moderator

          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carney" <ZL3NB@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
            Hey Don,
            You are right.  Something for everyone.
            Perhaps I am guilty of being somewhat "old school" with a new call.
            But, then again...I don't publicly diss them by blowing off their "public events" either.  There is a certain amount of arrogance about those who enter with the sole intent of "serving".
            I say, learn the hobby and what you really can do.  When you can really do it, THEN you are ready to do EMCOMM.  Not the other way around.
            I did say it was a peeve of mine. (even though I did not spell peeve right the first time) LOL!
            Thanks and you are correct in your assesment of our avocation.
            I'll go try something digital on 30 now.
            73,
            Trey, ki4itv

            Don <dhobson123@...> wrote:
            Trey,

            Great that you tried to promote the event but don't get too down
            about some other Hams not so interested. Really its all good, we all
            have different interests in Ham Radio so what you might be into at
            the moment might not be others cup of tea at this time and even your
            interests will change over time...we have a great hobby/service with
            hundreds of things to do and something for everyone! All you can do
            is what you did, put the word out.

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.