Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Re: Further promo of events....

  • Bill Carney
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
      Trey Are referring to the "Shack on the Belt" generation.....?? Hi Hi

      de Bill ZL3NB

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
        I is...I is...and I have a lot more to say,.But, I will not do it here.
        Arrgghh...
        :-)
        Trey-

        10/1/2007 6:59 PM

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
          Trey,

          Great that you tried to promote the event but don't get too down
          about some other Hams not so interested. Really its all good, we all
          have different interests in Ham Radio so what you might be into at
          the moment might not be others cup of tea at this time and even your
          interests will change over time...we have a great hobby/service with
          hundreds of things to do and something for everyone! All you can do
          is what you did, put the word out.

          I have to say that if you think about it we really are limited to a
          small small percentage of Hams that will be interested, why? Well,
          some only use voice/ssb, some cw, some digital, some multi modes,
          some other digital modes like rtty, some multi soundcard modes...so
          our selected group that might try psk or multi digi modes are few
          really when you think about Ham Radio ops as a whole. Then factor in
          that those that are digital ready might want to be in the PSK contest
          this weekend and fewer yet might join in on events on a non contest
          band like 30m but then again how perfect for those that don't like
          the contests of 599 reports and no space...30 is perfect!

          I remember back in I think 2001 or 2002 going to a local Ham club
          meeting some 20 miles from the house because one of my friends wanted
          me to introduce the Hams there on WSJT weeksignal digital modes
          (Meteor Scatter-MS and EME) since I played with them and had good
          luck. So I brought the laptop, sound examples, pics, etc etc...setup
          put lots of time in it and I have to say they looked at me like I was
          nuts!! I had a good laugh and thought maybe it was something they
          just were not into, understood, or wanted to try..it was funny
          really. I put the word out and it actually got a couple of them
          later interested to the point they are some main EME and weaksignal
          players in our area here...so plant the seed and go forward.

          Good job...but they do things I'm not interested in but respect there
          efforts and listen because I might try and like other things down the
          road. Have fun!

          de kb9umt Don EN50dp 'Playing in Peoria'
          moderator

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
            Thanks Bill!! That is great! Thanks for all you do and I hope the
            ZL/VK weekend is half as busy as the PropNet map is already..wow,
            have you looked at it? Looks like a big black blob but that should
            ell you 30m a great band, hope to get some more DX stations this
            weekend to show the band openings on 30m.

            Thanks again.
            de kb9umt Don
            moderator

            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carney" <ZL3NB@...>

          • o22sail@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
              Hey Don,
              You are right.  Something for everyone.
              Perhaps I am guilty of being somewhat "old school" with a new call.
              But, then again...I don't publicly diss them by blowing off their "public events" either.  There is a certain amount of arrogance about those who enter with the sole intent of "serving".
              I say, learn the hobby and what you really can do.  When you can really do it, THEN you are ready to do EMCOMM.  Not the other way around.
              I did say it was a peeve of mine. (even though I did not spell peeve right the first time) LOL!
              Thanks and you are correct in your assesment of our avocation.
              I'll go try something digital on 30 now.
              73,
              Trey, ki4itv

              Don <dhobson123@...> wrote:
              Trey,

              Great that you tried to promote the event but don't get too down
              about some other Hams not so interested. Really its all good, we all
              have different interests in Ham Radio so what you might be into at
              the moment might not be others cup of tea at this time and even your
              interests will change over time...we have a great hobby/service with
              hundreds of things to do and something for everyone! All you can do
              is what you did, put the word out.

              Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.