Re: Further promo of events....

  • KI4ITV
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
      It's okay.
      I was drowned out by "But, it's the EOC weekend drill" on this end.
      That's what I get for passing the info along on the repeater. My
      interest, or anyone else's, in propagation blown off as hobbyist fluff.
      There are some APRS'ers who are genuinely interested in what we are
      doing through findu.com...that's a start.

      I still wonder how all these 2-meter wonders are going to save the
      world???
      Sorry, pet peave.
      Trey, ki4itv

      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@...>
      wrote:

      > This is a bad weekend for me as it's the Cal QSO party,
      but I
      > will try and remember to put the station on 30 meter propnet if I sleep.
      >

      > Mike K6BR

      October

      > Where: 30 meter Band 10.135 to 10.145 MHZ
      >
      > Modes: Mainly PSK31 BUT all digital modes welcomed including RTTY.
      >
      > Objective: To make contact with VK/ZL Stations. This is not a
      contest but a
      > casual event in promoting 30 meters Digital activity in
      > conjunction
      > with the 30 meter PSK Group
      > www.groups.yahoo.
      > com/group/30meterPSKGroup
      >
      > Contact: Bill ZL3NB at zl3nb@... <mailto:zl3nb@...> nz
      >
      > Please send all logs to zl3nb@... <mailto:zl3nb@...> nz or by
      > snail mail to
      > 174 Beach Road, North Beach, Christchurch New Zealand 8083

    • Bill Carney
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
        Trey Are referring to the "Shack on the Belt" generation.....?? Hi Hi

        de Bill ZL3NB

        > I was drowned out by "But, it's the EOC weekend drill" on this end.
        > That's what I get for passing the info along on the repeater. My
        > interest, or anyone else's, in propagation blown off as hobbyist fluff.
        > There are some APRS'ers who are genuinely interested in what we are
        > doing through findu.com...that's a start.
        >
        > I still wonder how all these 2-meter wonders are going to save the
        > world???
        > Sorry, pet peave.
        > Trey, ki4itv
        >
        > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > This is a bad weekend for me as it's the Cal QSO party,
        > but I
        > > will try and remember to put the station on 30 meter propnet if I sleep.
        > >

        > > Mike K6BR

        also when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by
        Sholto KE7HPV

        > http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        10/1/2007 6:59 PM

      • o22sail@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
          I is...I is...and I have a lot more to say,.But, I will not do it here.
          Arrgghh...
          :-)
          Trey-

          10/1/2007 6:59 PM

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
            Trey,

            Great that you tried to promote the event but don't get too down
            about some other Hams not so interested. Really its all good, we all
            have different interests in Ham Radio so what you might be into at
            the moment might not be others cup of tea at this time and even your
            interests will change over time...we have a great hobby/service with
            hundreds of things to do and something for everyone! All you can do
            is what you did, put the word out.

            I have to say that if you think about it we really are limited to a
            small small percentage of Hams that will be interested, why? Well,
            some only use voice/ssb, some cw, some digital, some multi modes,
            some other digital modes like rtty, some multi soundcard modes...so
            our selected group that might try psk or multi digi modes are few
            really when you think about Ham Radio ops as a whole. Then factor in
            that those that are digital ready might want to be in the PSK contest
            this weekend and fewer yet might join in on events on a non contest
            band like 30m but then again how perfect for those that don't like
            the contests of 599 reports and no space...30 is perfect!

            I remember back in I think 2001 or 2002 going to a local Ham club
            meeting some 20 miles from the house because one of my friends wanted
            me to introduce the Hams there on WSJT weeksignal digital modes
            (Meteor Scatter-MS and EME) since I played with them and had good
            luck. So I brought the laptop, sound examples, pics, etc etc...setup
            put lots of time in it and I have to say they looked at me like I was
            nuts!! I had a good laugh and thought maybe it was something they
            just were not into, understood, or wanted to try..it was funny
            really. I put the word out and it actually got a couple of them
            later interested to the point they are some main EME and weaksignal
            players in our area here...so plant the seed and go forward.

            Good job...but they do things I'm not interested in but respect there
            efforts and listen because I might try and like other things down the
            road. Have fun!

            de kb9umt Don EN50dp 'Playing in Peoria'
            moderator

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
              Thanks Bill!! That is great! Thanks for all you do and I hope the
              ZL/VK weekend is half as busy as the PropNet map is already..wow,
              have you looked at it? Looks like a big black blob but that should
              ell you 30m a great band, hope to get some more DX stations this
              weekend to show the band openings on 30m.

              Thanks again.
              de kb9umt Don
              moderator

              --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Carney" <ZL3NB@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
                Hey Don,
                You are right.  Something for everyone.
                Perhaps I am guilty of being somewhat "old school" with a new call.
                But, then again...I don't publicly diss them by blowing off their "public events" either.  There is a certain amount of arrogance about those who enter with the sole intent of "serving".
                I say, learn the hobby and what you really can do.  When you can really do it, THEN you are ready to do EMCOMM.  Not the other way around.
                I did say it was a peeve of mine. (even though I did not spell peeve right the first time) LOL!
                Thanks and you are correct in your assesment of our avocation.
                I'll go try something digital on 30 now.
                73,
                Trey, ki4itv

                Don <dhobson123@...> wrote:
                Trey,

                Great that you tried to promote the event but don't get too down
                about some other Hams not so interested. Really its all good, we all
                have different interests in Ham Radio so what you might be into at
                the moment might not be others cup of tea at this time and even your
                interests will change over time...we have a great hobby/service with
                hundreds of things to do and something for everyone! All you can do
                is what you did, put the word out.

                Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.