POP Strategy: This weekend's 30-meter Play-On-PropNET

  • Ev Tupis
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      I have to admit that I'm impressed with the number of people who have decided to POP on 30-meters this weekend. Given this volume, please consider the following strategies:

      DCD is PropNetPSK's function that forces your station to hold-off TXing until the waterfall is clear. Yes, it is the *waterfall* that must have no "squalch-breaking" signals in it...not just the segment of the waterfall that you will be TXing into. As such, don't be surprised if your "TX countdown timer" in the tray of the window goes to negative numbers as it waits for a clear slot. Feel free to DISABLE the DCD function for this weekend...but if you do, please also do the following:

      Choose a TX interval that has a LOWER likelihood of causing QRM. Choosing values of 4, 5, 6 or 7 will cause your station to TX once every 15, 12, 10 or 8.57 minutes respectfully. By spreading out over this range, we should "interleave" our Auto-ID's and provide a better opportunity for a diverse number of stations to be heard.

      Lastly, use the waterfall. While the +1500 hz "anchor" frequency has been ID's for North American use, it appears that there are very few DX stations participating. As such, feel free to go DOWN to +1400 or +1300 to spread out a bit. This is experimental, so watch the Online map to see how well others are CATCHing you before settling on a different anchor frequency for the weekend. The closer to the "edges" of PropNetPSK's default scan range you go, the fewer stations may decode you (due to differences in transceiver frequency accuracy).

      Again...this is a bit of an experimental strategy so YMMV. :)

      Best wishes to all this weekend and a hearty thanks to Don, Trey and the entire 30-meter digital group for the idea in the first place, to Jeff (N7YG) for writing the PropNetPSK software that we use, and to the Amateur Spirit that is alive and well!

      Kind regards,
      Ev, W2EV

      http://farechase.yahoo.com/