Question...

  • N6NG
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2011
      Does the
      30 Meter Band 10.100 to 10.150 Member Weekend, 4/3/2011, 12:00 am

      start at 12:00 am EST, PST or some other?
      I guess that if I start listening at 9pm PST I might find some east
      coast activity ahead of the west coast start time.

      I know it's a little thing but it might be good to use some
      GMT time like 0000-2359 GMT. Either way, I'll see you
      there...

      Dennis N6NG
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
        Hi Dennis,
        this is always puzzling me about stateside stations: why are you using NA timezone denominators instead of GMT or Z? Imagine our Russian friends stating their events in their local times - and they got nine timezones...! That's why GMT/Z/UTC has been invented for, as it makes life easy and statements unmistakable.
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, N6NG <n6ng@...> wrote:

        > Does the
        > 30 Meter Band 10.100 to 10.150 Member Weekend, 4/3/2011, 12:00 am
        >
        > start at 12:00 am EST, PST or some other?
        > I guess that if I start listening at 9pm PST I might find some east
        > coast activity ahead of the west coast start time.
        >
        > I know it's a little thing but it might be good to use some
        > GMT time like 0000-2359 GMT. Either way, I'll see you
        > there...
        >
        > Dennis N6NG

      • ve3oij
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2011
          I used to play World of Warcraft in a European guild, and I had to constantly remind them that when they were setting up events, telling me a time in some bizarre Eastern Europe time zone did very little for my planning purpose. Took a few months, but I got them converted to UTC, and it was noticeable that we had better attendance across the board.

          It seems even Europeans don't like converting between arbitrary time zones, but everyone can remember their own offset to UTC.

          73 de VE3OIJ
          -Darin

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
            Hi Dennis N6NG and all,

            There is NO times listed...and if there was the Yahoo Calendar doesn't allow for UTC time but for this event it is listed as NO times for a reason...just get on the band ANYTIME that weekend to meet up with other 30MDG members and have fun on the band (one other reason I have never listed any times because years ago starting out this 30m digital drive for more activity we were accused of contesting so no times and no contests..just casual operation on a great WARC band with great digital operators....btw this weekend was a no show for many on Saturday 4/2 but more activity on Sunday 4/3 so it seemed from here the few hours I had time to spend on the band..meet up with a few of you and TU).

            I will say that many many times while working in the shack monitoring or even making a few contacts with the time difference for you folks on the West Coast you are in too late and many of the Central or East Coast folks are fast asleep (or some even switch bands thinking 30m is not open at night..wrong!). Anyway I find and if you look at the PSK Reporter data the busiest times for 30m is usually between 1900z and 2300z ....for DX best times is still usually an hour or two before and after sunset and sunrise...GL on the band Dennis!

            30 Meter Band 10.100 to 10.150 Member Weekend [Edit] [Delete]
            Date: Sunday April 3, 2011
            Time: All Day
            Author: kb9umt
            Repeat: This event repeats every month on the first Sunday.
            Type: Club Event
            Reminder: There is a reminder set for 1 day before this event.
            Location: 30 Meter Band 10.100 to 10.150

            30MDG Member Weekends 2011

            (If you have time please mark your Calendars and join in with other 30MDG
            Members on these weekends and have some fun on the 30 Meter BandÂ….ragchew, DX,
            experiment with different modes, etcÂ…also, please log on and use our 30MDG Spot
            pages at http://hamspots.net/30mdg/ )

            February 5th and 6th

            March 5th and 6th

            April 2nd and 3rd