Re: PropNet question

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2007
      Trey,

      I hope there are some others here that might be more of a guru on
      this subject but I did post and Ev W2EV replied:

      Hi Don,
      I use my PropNET system with the "factory default" values intact.

      There are many reasons why a "perfectly viewable" (in the waterfall)
      signal may
      not fully decode. The "PropNET advantage" is "time" and "repetition".
      For
      instance, at any given time there may be phase disturbances in the
      propagation
      path...however when spread over hours and days of operation, they
      become
      insignificant, localized (in space-time) events.

      Ev, W2EV

      Thanks
      de kb9umt Don
      moderator

      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "KI4ITV" <o22sail@...> wrote:

      > Hi gang,
      > I posed this question to a friend and thought I would post it here.

      > I do have some questions about the way most people have their AFC
      and
      > frequency spacing set up. I seem to be missing some of the signals,
      > when clearly they are within the bandwidth I am observing.
      >
      > I am basically using the default settings other than the squelch and
      > moving the TX audio freq. down a hundred Hertz.
      >
      > What are the settings you are using, and if you don't mind saying
      why,
      > I would be very interested.
      >
      > I do know about and have joined the PropNet list, but I was more
      > interested in how the other 30m ops are using this software
      > particularly to this band and the other reporting stations on it.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      > 73,
      > Trey
      > ki4itv

    • John
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008
        Hi All

        This question has nothing to do with this group except,that it applies
        30 meter band. If someone could direct me to the proper place, I would
        appreciate it.

        I would like to monitor the PropNet stations without transmitting a
        beacon. Can the PropNetPSK program be setup to receive only? I have no
        problem forwarding the information via the internet.

        It simply comes down to not transmitting while not in the shack.

        I would be doing this on a part time basis.

        Thanks
        John VE1CDD
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008
          John VE1CDD,

          Sure you can operate the PropNet PSK program in 'Lurk' mode and still
          be participating. Just go to the PropNet site http://www.PropNet.org
          and on that page you can go to the 'download program' page and
          download the program. Also on the download program page is a guide
          how to do the setup, which is simple. You can be up and running in
          about 20 min or so I would guess...doesn't take long at all. You can
          participate as a PropNet station and tx/rx both or use the 'Lurk'
          mode and rx only but either way your reports will be sent into the
          PropNet database/map and you will see them on the maps and such.
          They also have a PropNet Yahoo group if you need that address. Ev
          W2EV is a member here but I know he is away with other work for the
          next few months and will not be checking this site much here....have
          fun and if you have questions you can ask here also.

          de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001
          owner/moderator also PropNet user

          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, John <ve1cdd@...> wrote:

          > Hi All
          >
          > This question has nothing to do with this group except,that it
          applies
          > 30 meter band. If someone could direct me to the proper place, I
          would
          > appreciate it.
          >
          > I would like to monitor the PropNet stations without transmitting a
          > beacon. Can the PropNetPSK program be setup to receive only? I have
          no
          > problem forwarding the information via the internet.
          >
          > It simply comes down to not transmitting while not in the shack.
          >
          > I would be doing this on a part time basis.
          >
          > Thanks
          > John VE1CDD

        • John
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008
            Hi Don

            Thanks very much for the information. I'll try and get things going in
            the next few days.
            Last few days have been spent in trying to improve my antenna, without
            much luck.

            John VE1CDD
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008
              Sure John no problem....I see VE1CDD on my waterfall in EN50dp all
              the time so what you have currently is sure working. Maybe telling
              us what you are trying might help someone else on 30m antenna wise or
              maybe some of the other guys can give you some suggestions too.

              The band has not been in that good of shape but I still think the
              bottom line on 30 meters is that there is not enough operators
              participating on the band. When I can copy most any time (day or
              night) the PropNet stations on 10.140 +/-1000 and also see
              documentation on the http://www.PropNet.org that the band is capable
              of communication and contacts...jump up and 20m...40m...active there
              and then 30m PropNet making catches....even our Sholto's 30Meter
              Digital SPOT page documenting auto cq's but many times no
              replies...all this too me still indicate that the 30m band is under
              used yet very usable. Just my thoughts....keep pushing. Thanks

              de kb9umt Don EN50dp 30MDG#0001
              owner/moderator

              --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, John <ve1cdd@...> wrote:

              > Hi Don
              >
              > Thanks very much for the information. I'll try and get things going
              in
              > the next few days.
              > Last few days have been spent in trying to improve my antenna,
              without
              > much luck.
              >
              > John VE1CDD

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008

                Russ KH7S calling CQ and looking to the mainland

                Mike K6BR

              • John
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 10, 2008
                  Hi Don

                  Yes, I should have stated my purpose. I am just curious was to the lack
                  of activity due to band conditions or non use of the band. I guess if we
                  get enough information we may understand the band. At times the band
                  reminds me of 6 meters. The signal will be 579 and within seconds no
                  trace will be visible.

                  I starting to believe that you are right, Don. There is a big problem
                  with lack of activity. All we can do is continue to be active on the
                  band so that if someone tunes in he/she will actually hear signals.
                  After all, listening to noise gets boring even to a hard core ham.

                  John VE1CDD

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 16, 2008
                    From the spot page:

                    01-17 03:37 N5ZTW Delbert EM00vf KH7S 10.140 1500 PSK31 40W MMVARI
                    Working now from the Big Island!!
                  • n5ztw@texasdata.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
                      Well I was not going to brag on the Yahoo group but now that
                      you broke the ice Don. YESSSS
                      Hawaii pin on my Google map! Russ is great. Thanks Russ. I
                      saw him working a W6 call on Monday night around 03:30 UTC
                      but missed him. (I could not see the W6 trace at all) We
                      made an email sched for Tuesday at 03:30 but could not
                      connect. The band was open to the lower 48 that night big
                      time. I was seeing a propnet station every 20 seconds. Last
                      night when we tried again hardly any propnet but Russ was
                      S4-S6 100% copy. so the skip was long. I expect the band is
                      going to be long from 02:00 07:00 UTC this weekend. All I
                      lack now for WAS 30M digital is MT, ND WV, and all of New
                      England except MA. I posted the spot and Russ called CQ a
                      few times after our QSO but no takers.
                      Delbert N5ZTW EM00vf

                      > 01-17 03:37 N5ZTW Delbert EM00vf KH7S 10.140 1500 PSK31
                      > 40W MMVARI Working now from the Big Island!!

                    • Larry - NK2X
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
                        n5ztw@... wrote:
                        > Well I was not going to brag on the Yahoo group but now that
                        > you broke the ice Don. YESSSS
                        > Hawaii pin on my Google map! Russ is great. Thanks Russ. I
                        > saw him working a W6 call on Monday night around 03:30 UTC
                        > but missed him. (I could not see the W6 trace at all) We
                        > made an email sched for Tuesday at 03:30 but could not
                        > connect. The band was open to the lower 48 that night big
                        > time. I was seeing a propnet station every 20 seconds. Last
                        > night when we tried again hardly any propnet but Russ was
                        > S4-S6 100% copy. so the skip was long. I expect the band is
                        > going to be long from 02:00 07:00 UTC this weekend. All I
                        > lack now for WAS 30M digital is MT, ND WV, and all of New
                        > England except MA. I posted the spot and Russ called CQ a
                        > few times after our QSO but no takers.
                        > Delbert N5ZTW EM00vf

                        Congrats, Delbert! That's a great haul from TX. Still don't hear much
                        from the far Midwest or West here in NJ yet...I need to get that antenna
                        up another mile or so! :-) Now we all have a target to shoot at. Well
                        done!

                        73,
                        Larry - NK2X
                      • o22sail@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 17, 2008
                          Congratulaions from here as well, Delbert!
                          I have yet to see Russ on my waterfall in Virginia, but I'm looking for you.

                          ...And I'll have to admit that my evening prayer now includes the place names "Alaska" and "North Dakota". heheh.

                          *Does anyone know if there are any hams in North Dakota?  I don't have one confirmed on any band.  I need to re-check my log.

                          73,
                          Trey-
                          ki4itv

                          Larry - NK2X <larrycobb@...> wrote:
                          n5ztw@texasdata. net wrote:
                          > Well I was not going to brag on the Yahoo group but now that
                          > you broke the ice Don. YESSSS
                          > Hawaii pin on my Google map! Russ is great. Thanks Russ. I
                          > saw him working a W6 call on Monday night around 03:30 UTC
                          > but missed him. (I could not see the W6 trace at all) We
                          > made an email sched for Tuesday at 03:30 but could not
                          > connect. The band was open to the lower 48 that night big
                          > time. I was seeing a propnet station every 20 seconds. Last
                          > night when we tried again hardly any propnet but Russ was
                          > S4-S6 100% copy. so the skip was long. I expect the band is
                          > going to be long from 02:00 07:00 UTC this weekend. All I
                          > lack now for WAS 30M digital is MT, ND WV, and all of New
                          > England except MA. I posted the spot and Russ called CQ a
                          > few times after our QSO but no takers.
                          > Delbert N5ZTW EM00vf

                          Congrats, Delbert! That's a great haul from TX. Still don't hear much
                          from the far Midwest or West here in NJ yet...I need to get that antenna
                          up another mile or so! :-) Now we all have a target to shoot at. Well
                          done!

                          73,
                          Larry - NK2X

                        • Bruce N7XB
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 19, 2008
                            Just worked Russ KH7S on 10.140 psk31. The band was dead and then,
                            there he was. QSl with SASE on its way to the Big Island for Hawaii
                            confimred on 30 meters.

                            Now see N5UNB working him. So if any of you guys are still up, Hawaii
                            is on the air at 10.140 with a big signal at 0510 utc.

                            Bruce N7XB #0027
                            Portland OR CN85