Re: In the event of RADAR

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2011
      Scott,
      the usually Spanish speaking folks on 30m are in general fishermen from EA but also less frequently in Portuguese from CT. The bandwatch people are watching and reporting them but sofar nothing happened.
      As for OTHR, on repeated occasions it came up when I was doing Contestia and had no effect at all on the QSOs and we carried on as before. I have no experience how it might affect the other multitone modes but I imagine that also Olivia, RTTYM and possibly MFSK will allow QSOs despite the QRM. Worth trying.
      73 Fred DL6XAZ

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

      > I think that there is merit to having a slice of 30 meters, say 3000 cycles worth around 10.120 in mind for use when RADAR prevents us from using the normal digital part of the band.
      >
      > As I write this there is RADAR from about 10.114 up to about 10.141. No problem we can run digital above the radar. At other times the radar affects from 130 or 125 up.
      >
      > Digital in a small portion of the band around 10.120 should not bother us CW folks and I see no problem with it. Especially since it's temporary.
      >
      > I don't think it makes sense for the RADAR to stop all digital activity if there is room lower in the band.
      >
      > If RADAR causes a problem over the weekend in the digital part of the band I intend to use PSK31 below the RADAR provided it can be done without stepping on the toes of any fellow CW operators.
      >
      > At this time I am going to try JT65 on the 10.147 frequency because 10.139 suffers from RADAR QRM.
      >
      > As I write this I note that there is some USB voice traffic on 10.150. The language sounds like Spanish. 10.150 USB is out of the ham band.
      >
      > 22:24 UTC Tuesday Jan 25 2011.
      >
      > 73 Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

    • Scott Currier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2011
        Thanks Fred, at least this time they were out of the ham band. Catching those on the water may be difficult. I hope they have some success.

        Yes, if the radar is active this weekend we'll have to try contestia or similar mode to see if it's possible to work through it.

        73 and have a nice day.

        Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

        To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
        From: dl6xaz@...