Re: Band activity

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2007
      John AB80,

      I have seen your signal on the waterfall a number of times but weak
      here in central IL but then again we are close and the band is uaually
      long when we are both on. I wonder how far above the ground in the
      tree your folded dipole is? I also wonder what your power out is? How
      is our noise level there? How often are you on the band and for how
      long of time? Do you get good results on 20 meter and 40 meter digital
      or psk activity? I would say that if your dipole is low to the ground
      that most your signal is going up and might not have a good take off
      angle for further out communication, could you change what you have
      either in height or put an additional antenna for reference? We are at
      our low end of the sun cycle so the band isn't going to have great
      openings but there will be some none the less and your antenna is going
      to be the difference when on the low end of the cycle from making
      contacts or not making any...and sometimes if there is no one on the
      band or little activity or the band is just in poor shape with no spot
      activity then nothing might matter.

      So far on 30 meters I have worked a number of stations using my rain
      gutters or my attic loop and even some random wires along the basement
      floor when the band allows it. I have worked from my better antennas
      others with limited antennas like hustler loads or Alpha Delta
      Outbackers and those with low to the ground dipoles. I have to say
      that sometimes low power, low to the ground or min antenna
      installations along with being on the low end of the cycle does at
      times equal no contacts. I see far too many Hams in sitiuations where
      they are restricted antenna wise and it really can hurt but then again
      the band does and will open and there are larger stations ready and
      willing to copy and make contacts with you.

      As far as antennas here I have setup a few antennas for 30 meters to be
      ready for winter 30m digital activity and so far I have this:

      - Dipole at the roof line
      - Butternut vertical w/30m
      - Delta loop that is vertical oriented feed with 300 ohm tv lead
      - 80 meter 265ft or so horizontal loop at an average hight of 30 ft or
      so feed with 450 ohm ladder line
      - A Mosley 33jr driven single element with added lenght to be set at 30
      meter band at 40 ft that is rotatable

      I can tell you switching from antenna to antenna I can see that there
      are times that different antennas mean the difference between hearing a
      station and making contacts or not hearing anything or no contacts. I
      say this because the lower to the ground antennas make a big difference
      for close in stations so those that might be only 200 to 400 miles out
      my vertical is skipping over yet the low to the ground loops might pick
      them up 59 with 100% copy. The low to the ground loops might not
      pickup the dx stations where as the vertical does a fine job and 100%
      copy yet no copy on the loops or other wires. I now have the rotatable
      dipole and I can say it has a good pattern and I have found just in a
      weeks time it can cut unwanted noise or signals down so I can copy or
      contact signals in other directions. The vertical in town/city has a
      higher noise level some nights so I might tx on the vertical but use
      the other loops to rx on etc etc...antennas do make a difference on the
      band.

      I think another thing is 30 meters just has low digital activity and it
      seems to me that for a band that is to be cw/digital only band at lower
      power (<200w) that it is a band that is between 20 and 40 meters and
      has qualities of both bands...good state side most the day opens to
      longer distances at night or good dx at night or sometimes in the
      day...great band! Seems to have less summer noise than 40 meters and
      30m seems to be open longer in or most all night when 20 meters might
      be weak or shut down. So why not more activity on 30 meters? Well,
      that is why we are here I hope so maybe we can give 30m digi some more
      action! Hang in there and stick around for a few months and see what
      goes. My real suggestion is to try to put up a vertical wire or
      another antenna that will have different patterns/takeoff if possible
      (i.e. inverted L, loop, vertical, etc) or move your antenna higher if
      possible and see what goes.

      Not sure this helps but 30 meters really is a fun band to work, oh yes
      you might try using the spot page to see who is on or hearing what
      areas or what contacts are being made when or at what times.

      de kb9umt Don EN50dp
      moderator "Playing in Peoria"

      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, John Wiener <jawod@...> wrote:

      > I gotta tell you. From my perspective in OH, the band activity is
      > dismal. At least for these "ears" I have a folded dipole in the
      > trees but I do not routinely hear the level activity reported in
      this
      > newsgroup. Perhaps it is my setup but still...QSO's on 30M PSK are
      > few and far between...even on Thurs and Suns.
      >
      > John
      > AB8O
      > Cincinnati, OH

    • John Wiener
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
        Don
        Thanks for the good advice.

        Yes, my setup isn't optimal but I still do fairly well on other
        bands. I seem to get out on 17M fairly well. When I do get someone
        on 30M my sig reports are fair to good (of course, the "599"
        automatic response is all too frequent).
        I am in a small valley and the dipole is up about 25 feet off the
        ground. Perhaps when the leaves drop I'll do better.

        I must say, though, that some of this is just a dearth of operators
        on 30M. I agree we need to bang the drum a bit to increase
        activity. I do mention 30M whenever I can in my PSK QSOs on other
        bands.

        I'll just try to be patient.

        Again, thanks for the encouragement.

        John
        AB8O
      • Fr. Johnny
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
          One other thought Don if I may......This low cycle period gives us hams a chance to do something we seldom have an opportunity to do - FINE TUNE our antenna systems. There are plenty of weak signals out there on all the bands and this is the perfect time to put our antennas into configurations that get the best results possible so that when the cycle starts upwards we will be heard like gang busters! 73 Johnny KD5LWU