Additional 30 meter spectrum.

  • Scott Currier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13 1:45 PM

      I was reading a document produced by the IARU dealing with additional HF spectrum for ham radio.

      Their recommendation was for member societies to request that their governments allow "domestic" allocations on 30 meters. This is the same thing that has been done on 60 meters.

      The hope is that the domestic allocations will eventually become international allocations.

      In my opinion the 30 meter band is very valuable and that we need additional spectrum in order to support SSB and increased digital operation. I'm no great fan of SSB but I think that our 30 meter allocation should be expanded in order to provide some minimal SSB operation. Maybe an additional 5 channels outside of the present 50 kHz allocation. Besides, it may come in handy and be a welcome way for 30 meter digital group members to occasionally chat via voice.

      The same arguments used for the 60 meter allocation apply to 30 meters. It's a big jump from 20 to 40 meters and we need a bigger allocation in between.

      This isn't my idea, I can't take credit for it, but I think it's a good one. If you agree you may want to contact your national association and ask them to propose something to your government.

      The 50 kHz we have now is workable for CW and digital but certainly not for SSB.

      Norway, I believe, or one of the Scandinavian countries already has addition 12 meter spectrum as a domestic allocation. I believe they have 300 kHz of space.

      I'll see if I can find the IARU document and if I can I'll post a link.

      73 all and good DX
      Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA