Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Re: Sound Card adjustments Question

Expand Messages
  • Fr. Johnny
    Bet Icom is turning in their grave Yaesu 706? LOL Did all that Don before I sent the email...there is a tune pot on TX on the Rascal GLX not on
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Bet Icom is turning in their grave Yaesu 706? LOL Did all that Don before I sent the email...there is a tune pot on TX on the Rascal GLX not on receive......the OS  is Windows XP Pro....Wouldn't the ATT also reduce receiver sensitivity big time? That would make weak signals disappear and that is what I am trying to see......any other thoughts? I do appreciate your help 73 Johnny


      Don wrote:

      Hi Johnny KD5LWU,

      Good deal that you got the cable and will be back on the air! I read
      this and know you meant ICOM 706 cable and not Yaesu 706...hope you got
      the right cable! Just kidding you of course.

      Okay, now for your audio in problem. I think using the ACC plug there
      is a set amount of audio level coming from that and although I think it
      could be changed via the radio or att of sorts I think you should first
      look at the rascal interface unit itself. As I recall on the one I had
      (can't remember the model number but might be older than what you have)
      I thought that the rascal has a pod/adjustment that you can both adjust
      the tx and rx levels down or up a tad if need be, is there one on your
      unit? Might be on the back or underside of your interface unit or if
      not there you might have to take the intface case off to get to the
      circuit board. One other possibility is to check to go to your windows
      soundcard speaker in/mic 'volume controls' and go to the advanced
      settings and see if your you might have the 'microphone boost' checked
      or on. If it is checked/on then you might uncheck that or turn the
      boost/amp off and it should decrease your mic/in volume by 20db or so
      and that might be another way to decrease it. What is your O/S
      (operating system) there? Windows xx? Try one of these or all of them
      and see if that helps you out.

      de kb9umt Don
      moderator

      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@ yahoogroups. com, "Rev. Father Johnny Shepherd"
      <fieldservice@ ...> wrote:
      >
      > Good afternoon - I have received my Yaesu 706 MKII cable for the
      > rascal but have encountered a small problem. The cable connects
      > through the ACC thus there seems to be no audio out control from the
      > radio and with my soundcard software set to it's lowest point I am
      > still having too much audio coming into the soundcard from the rig.
      > The problem is that with all that noise printing it is almost
      > impossible to see the weak stations. Has anyone had this problem and
      > how did you solve it? Thanks 73 Johnny KD5LWU
      >

    • Don
      Johnny, See if your soundcard has the mircophone boost on (you are using the mic side of the soundcard, right?). If that mic boost is on try unchecking it
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 25, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Johnny,

        See if your soundcard has the 'mircophone boost' on (you are using
        the mic side of the soundcard, right?). If that mic boost is on try
        unchecking it then if it goes the other way and is too low you can
        start to raise your mic or in volume up because from what you are
        tellling us now you are at the other end of the extreme and you are
        saying you have too much audio and your volume is set as low as you
        can go yet too much is coming in, right? Give it a check and see if
        that might help.

        Don kb9umt


        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Johnny"
        <fieldservice@...> wrote:
        >
        > Bet Icom is turning in their grave Yaesu 706? LOL Did all that Don
        > before I sent the email...there is a tune pot on TX on the Rascal
        GLX
        > not on receive......the OS is Windows XP Pro....Wouldn't the ATT
        also
        > reduce receiver sensitivity big time? That would make weak signals
        > disappear and that is what I am trying to see......any other
        thoughts? I
        > do appreciate your help 73 Johnny
        >
        >
        > Don wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Johnny KD5LWU,
        > >
        > > Good deal that you got the cable and will be back on the air! I
        read
        > > this and know you meant ICOM 706 cable and not Yaesu 706...hope
        you got
        > > the right cable! Just kidding you of course.
        > >
        > > Okay, now for your audio in problem. I think using the ACC plug
        there
        > > is a set amount of audio level coming from that and although I
        think it
        > > could be changed via the radio or att of sorts I think you should
        first
        > > look at the rascal interface unit itself. As I recall on the one
        I had
        > > (can't remember the model number but might be older than what you
        have)
        > > I thought that the rascal has a pod/adjustment that you can both
        adjust
        > > the tx and rx levels down or up a tad if need be, is there one on
        your
        > > unit? Might be on the back or underside of your interface unit or
        if
        > > not there you might have to take the intface case off to get to
        the
        > > circuit board. One other possibility is to check to go to your
        windows
        > > soundcard speaker in/mic 'volume controls' and go to the advanced
        > > settings and see if your you might have the 'microphone boost'
        checked
        > > or on. If it is checked/on then you might uncheck that or turn the
        > > boost/amp off and it should decrease your mic/in volume by 20db
        or so
        > > and that might be another way to decrease it. What is your O/S
        > > (operating system) there? Windows xx? Try one of these or all of
        them
        > > and see if that helps you out.
        > >
        > > de kb9umt Don
        > > moderator
        > >
        > > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:30meterPSKGroup%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rev. Father Johnny
        Shepherd"
        > > <fieldservice@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Good afternoon - I have received my Yaesu 706 MKII cable for the
        > > > rascal but have encountered a small problem. The cable connects
        > > > through the ACC thus there seems to be no audio out control
        from the
        > > > radio and with my soundcard software set to it's lowest point I
        am
        > > > still having too much audio coming into the soundcard from the
        rig.
        > > > The problem is that with all that noise printing it is almost
        > > > impossible to see the weak stations. Has anyone had this
        problem and
        > > > how did you solve it? Thanks 73 Johnny KD5LWU
        > > >
        > >
        > >
        >
      • Fr. Johnny
        Hi Don - the boost was the first thing I checked....everything is turned down (or off) as low as it can go in the soundcard and I see nothing in the ICOM that
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 25, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Don - the boost was the first thing I checked....everything is turned down (or off) as low as it can go in the soundcard and I see nothing in the ICOM that controls the receive portion of speaker output on ACC....thanks for the try Don 73 Johnny

          Don wrote:

          Johnny,

          See if your soundcard has the 'mircophone boost' on (you are using
          the mic side of the soundcard, right?). If that mic boost is on try
          unchecking it then if it goes the other way and is too low you can
          start to raise your mic or in volume up because from what you are
          tellling us now you are at the other end of the extreme and you are
          saying you have too much audio and your volume is set as low as you
          can go yet too much is coming in, right? Give it a check and see if
          that might help.

          Don kb9umt

          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@ yahoogroups. com, "Fr. Johnny"
          <fieldservice@ ...> wrote:
          >
          > Bet Icom is turning in their grave Yaesu 706? LOL Did all that Don
          > before I sent the email...there is a tune pot on TX on the Rascal
          GLX
          > not on receive..... .the OS is Windows XP Pro....Wouldn' t the ATT
          also
          > reduce receiver sensitivity big time? That would make weak signals
          > disappear and that is what I am trying to see......any other
          thoughts? I
          > do appreciate your help 73 Johnny
          >
          >
          > Don wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Johnny KD5LWU,
          > >
          > > Good deal that you got the cable and will be back on the air! I
          read
          > > this and know you meant ICOM 706 cable and not Yaesu 706...hope
          you got
          > > the right cable! Just kidding you of course.
          > >
          > > Okay, now for your audio in problem. I think using the ACC plug
          there
          > > is a set amount of audio level coming from that and although I
          think it
          > > could be changed via the radio or att of sorts I think you should
          first
          > > look at the rascal interface unit itself. As I recall on the one
          I had
          > > (can't remember the model number but might be older than what you
          have)
          > > I thought that the rascal has a pod/adjustment that you can both
          adjust
          > > the tx and rx levels down or up a tad if need be, is there one on
          your
          > > unit? Might be on the back or underside of your interface unit or
          if
          > > not there you might have to take the intface case off to get to
          the
          > > circuit board. One other possibility is to check to go to your
          windows
          > > soundcard speaker in/mic 'volume controls' and go to the advanced
          > > settings and see if your you might have the 'microphone boost'
          checked
          > > or on. If it is checked/on then you might uncheck that or turn the
          > > boost/amp off and it should decrease your mic/in volume by 20db
          or so
          > > and that might be another way to decrease it. What is your O/S
          > > (operating system) there? Windows xx? Try one of these or all of
          them
          > > and see if that helps you out.
          > >
          > > de kb9umt Don
          > > moderator
          > >
          > > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@ yahoogroups. com
          > > <mailto:30meterPSKG roup%40yahoogrou ps.com>, "Rev. Father Johnny
          Shepherd"
          > > <fieldservice@ > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Good afternoon - I have received my Yaesu 706 MKII cable for the
          > > > rascal but have encountered a small problem. The cable connects
          > > > through the ACC thus there seems to be no audio out control
          from the
          > > > radio and with my soundcard software set to it's lowest point I
          am
          > > > still having too much audio coming into the soundcard from the
          rig.
          > > > The problem is that with all that noise printing it is almost
          > > > impossible to see the weak stations. Has anyone had this
          problem and
          > > > how did you solve it? Thanks 73 Johnny KD5LWU
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          >

        • Rick Harrison
          ... I thought I was having the problem you reported, too high audio level. But later I found out my computer was radiating RF noise into the receiver when
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rev. Father Johnny Shepherd"
            <fieldservice@...> wrote:

            > The problem is that with all that noise printing it is almost
            > impossible to see the weak stations. Has anyone had this problem and
            > how did you solve it? Thanks 73 Johnny KD5LWU

            I thought I was having the problem you reported, too high audio level. But later I found out
            my computer was radiating RF noise into the receiver when directly connected. I need to get
            an interface with isolation transformers or opto-isolators on both the input to, and the
            output from, the soundcard.

            Your situation might or might not be similar to mine. It is something to consider.

            -R.K. in Florida AE4RK
          • Fr. Johnny
            Thanks R.K. good thought I will check it out 73 Johnny KD5LWU
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Thanks R.K. good thought I will check it out 73 Johnny KD5LWU

              Rick Harrison wrote:
              >
              > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:30meterPSKGroup%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rev. Father Johnny Shepherd"
              > <fieldservice@...> wrote:
              >
              > > The problem is that with all that noise printing it is almost
              > > impossible to see the weak stations. Has anyone had this problem and
              > > how did you solve it? Thanks 73 Johnny KD5LWU
              >
              > I thought I was having the problem you reported, too high audio level.
              > But later I found out
              > my computer was radiating RF noise into the receiver when directly
              > connected. I need to get
              > an interface with isolation transformers or opto-isolators on both the
              > input to, and the
              > output from, the soundcard.
              >
              > Your situation might or might not be similar to mine. It is something
              > to consider.
              >
              > -R.K. in Florida AE4RK
              >
              >
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.