RE: [30MDG] Re: I got a bit excited this afternoon !

  • Scott Currier
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 10, 2011
      That's very interesting Freddy, I thought that the US was the only country with a 200 watt limit. I thought everyone else could use a KW or whatever their normal power limit is.

      I had no idea of the 100 watt limit, you say that the limit is region 1 wide?

      Any idea about region 3?

      Thanks for the info Freddy, 73 and good dx

      Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

      To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
      From: dl6xaz@...
      Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:50:20 +0000
      Subject: [30MDG] Re: I got a bit excited this afternoon !

      Hi Pat,
      sure that arrangement helps, but pse keep on mind that here in reg. 1 we must not use more than 100W: well, whether all stick to it is another kettle of fish... My standard is 50W into a L/4-vertical.

      Amazingly this morning at 0900z there was ZL50VK in rtty 1 up on 10144 dial, workable. Haven't heard stateside stns for a while on 30m.
      73 Fred DL6XAZ

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "PAT AND GLENNA" <pjones5@...> wrote:

      > 30m is like that,many times I will call cq dx in the middle of the day here in Fl and be answered by a Eu station.
      > It helps to have a full size vert with 60 radials and 200 watts.
      > I love 30m for dx.
      > pat w4fo
      >

      > =======
      > http://www.pctools.com/
      > =======

    • signalhz
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 10, 2011
        Hi Pat,

        It seems conditions the past few months has not been very good going to the EU from here but still have managed a couple this month. Last month I got France twice,Italy 3 X, and Hungary.

        And Australia going westward.

        The other day I almost got Tonga in the south pacific.

        So far this month I've gotten the Dominican Republic,Chile,Spain,Argentina,Venezuela,Japan X.

        But still no Delaware or Arkansas! I've heard Delaware on 30m but have missed him a couple of times.

        I've missed United Arab Emirates and several EU stations, Canary Islands,Russia,Asiatic Russia, and many others.

        40 watts 80m dipole @ 30 feet

        73
        Eddy
        N4ABN

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 10, 2011
          30m can be open at weird times Eddy.
          My ant does not play well in the states but good for dx.
          This month so far I have these in the Log
          ES3AX-E77AW-F6HMJ=S58AL-CP4BT-EA8/DL3KVR-IT9MUO-CO8LY-ZS6X-V5/DK1CE-JA1PBV/6W-RK3ER-A45XR-
          CT3AS-HA3FH- all on cw,have not worked any PSK or other Diggi Modes yet this year.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 10, 2011
            Now why does that sound familiar :-)

            "The wish is father to the thought" applies here I guess

            Cheers Mel,

            Richard

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "raf3151019" <Gzerogqk@...> wrote:

            > Turning my attention away from 15 and 17 metres I put out a CQ on 30 metres and had a response from K1***. So I sent " This is unusual the US at this time of the day " The contacts name was Dan. Then came another call from OK1*** suggesting I amend his call !
            >
            > Mel G0GQK

          • signalhz
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 10, 2011
              Hi Pat,

              You're doing better this month then I am. I see one call sign you've worked that I have also. The Cuba station.

              I haven't worked any of the other modes this year yet. All the contacts so far have all been JT65A. I saw an Argentina station on a couple of nights ago very late in the evening. He was -6 db on the spectrum. I couldn't get him to hear me even though I've contacted him before. As strong as his signal was usually I can contact them.

              gl
              73
              Eddy
              N4ABN

            Message 6 of 19 , Jan 11, 2011
              Hello Pat & Fred,

              Pat, you're wrong. Here in Switzerland we can use 1 kW on 30m...

              73, Cedric HB9HFN

              From: dl6xaz@...
              Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:50:20 +0000

              Message 7 of 19 , Jan 11, 2011
                Hi Scott,
                I may cite from the Reg. 1 bandplan from their website:
                quote
                10100 - 10140 200 CW, 10116 kHz - QRP Centre of Activity
                10140 - 10150 500 Narrow band modes – digimodes
                SSB may be used during emergencies involving the immediate safety of life and property and only by stations actually involved in the handling of emergency traffic.
                The band segment 10120 kHz to 10140 kHz may be used for SSB transmissions in the area of Africa south of the equator during local daylight hours.
                News bulletins on any mode should not be transmitted on the 10 MHz band.
                unquote
                the figures 200 resp. 500 mean Hz bandwidth, not power.

                Sorry, am not aware of reg. 3 but possibly you could find further info on ARRL website?

                Actually I have to correct my statement re output power on 30m: the 100W limit applies to DL, and I ignore which limits are imposed in other reg. 1 countries but vaguely remember having read something elsewhere.
                But it does not really matter because with our modes, if I can't make it with 100W I wouldn't do it with 250 either I suppose.

                What really annoys me is a certain number of EU stns who obviously run at least 200W or more on constant basis in PSK, RTTY and MFSK on 30m; they either obliterate my waterfall or remain being the lonely shouter in the desert because they won't hear the replies sent with 50W under weak condx. No sense in being heard far away when you can't hear the dx.

                Yesterday we had dx on 30m, today quite strong short skip in EU - this band is good for surprises! Like English/North German/Danish weather: you can have 4 seasons on one single day! :-)

                But, finalizing, I was quite pleased finding new call signs in psk recently, and not only the "regulars".
                HNY 2011!
                Cuagn, vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                Message 8 of 19 , Jan 11, 2011
                  Thanks Cedric,
                  yes, I already corrected my statement in a reply to Scott as the 100W limit is applicable to DL licensees. Senior moment of mine ... :-)
                  73 Fred DL6XAZ

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Aishwarya <aishwarya1967@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Pat & Fred,
                  >
                  > Pat, you're wrong. Here in Switzerland we can use 1 kW on 30m...
                  >
                  > 73, Cedric HB9HFN
                  >
                  > Date: 10.01.2011 15:15, Scott Currier wrote :
                  > >

                  > > That's very interesting Freddy, I thought that the US was the only
                  > > country with a 200 watt limit. I thought everyone else could use a KW
                  > > or whatever their normal power limit is.
                  > >
                  > > I had no idea of the 100 watt limit, you say that the limit is region
                  > > 1 wide?
                  > >
                  > > Any idea about region 3?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the info Freddy, 73 and good dx
                  > >
                  > > Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                  > > To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                  > > From: dl6xaz@...
                  > > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:50:20 +0000
                  > > Subject: [30MDG] Re: I got a bit excited this afternoon !
                  > >
                  > > Hi Pat,
                  > > sure that arrangement helps, but pse keep on mind that here in reg. 1
                  > > we must not use more than 100W: well, whether all stick to it is
                  > > another kettle of fish... My standard is 50W into a L/4-vertical.
                  > >
                  > > Amazingly this morning at 0900z there was ZL50VK in rtty 1 up on 10144
                  > > dial, workable. Haven't heard stateside stns for a while on 30m.
                  > > 73 Fred DL6XAZ
                  > >
                  > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:30MDG@yahoogroups.com>, "PAT AND
                  > > GLENNA" <pjones5@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > 30m is like that,many times I will call cq dx in the middle of the
                  > > day here in Fl and be answered by a Eu station.
                  > > > It helps to have a full size vert with 60 radials and 200 watts.
                  > > > I love 30m for dx.
                  > > > pat w4fo

                • Scott Currier
                  Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2011
                    Thanks for the info Freddy. I have not found it necessary to use more than 50 to 75 watts on the better digital modes. On baudot, the worst performing digital mode, in my opinion, I may use 200 watts in order to help the other person decode what I am sending.

                    As long as the signals are clean, I'm not too concerned about how much power someone is running.  On the lower bands, stations that are 1 hop away are usually quite strong compared with the dx stations.

                    The best way of dealing with this situation is to narrow the passband around the desired signal. I cannot do that on my 706 like I can on the 1000D.

                    On my 706 where the passband is 2700 cycles I have had success with turning up the volume on the radio so that the indicators in JT65HF read max. This has the effect of making signals that at normal volume levels would not show up on the waterfall appear and with JT65 at least, they can normally be decoded despite the distortion caused by the high volume.

                    This is also handy on the higher bands when you're working a weak station and because of conditions there are signals in the passband that are 30 40 50 db stronger.

                    The real solution is to use a radio that will allow you to narrow the passband. If the loud signal is clean then they shouldn't pose a problem.

                    If you're like me and can't narrow the passband around the desired signal then careful use of the audio levels may bring everyone up to the same level on the waterfall.

                    73 and good dx.

                    Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                    To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                    From: dl6xaz@...
                    Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:05:53 +0000

                    Hi Scott,
                    I may cite from the Reg. 1 bandplan from their website:
                    quote
                    10100 - 10140 200 CW, 10116 kHz - QRP Centre of Activity
                    10140 - 10150 500 Narrow band modes – digimodes
                    SSB may be used during emergencies involving the immediate safety of life and property and only by stations actually involved in the handling of emergency traffic.
                    The band segment 10120 kHz to 10140 kHz may be used for SSB transmissions in the area of Africa south of the equator during local daylight hours.
                    News bulletins on any mode should not be transmitted on the 10 MHz band.
                    unquote
                    the figures 200 resp. 500 mean Hz bandwidth, not power.

                    Sorry, am not aware of reg. 3 but possibly you could find further info on ARRL website?

                    Actually I have to correct my statement re output power on 30m: the 100W limit applies to DL, and I ignore which limits are imposed in other reg. 1 countries but vaguely remember having read something elsewhere.
                    But it does not really matter because with our modes, if I can't make it with 100W I wouldn't do it with 250 either I suppose.

                    What really annoys me is a certain number of EU stns who obviously run at least 200W or more on constant basis in PSK, RTTY and MFSK on 30m; they either obliterate my waterfall or remain being the lonely shouter in the desert because they won't hear the replies sent with 50W under weak condx. No sense in being heard far away when you can't hear the dx.

                    Yesterday we had dx on 30m, today quite strong short skip in EU - this band is good for surprises! Like English/North German/Danish weather: you can have 4 seasons on one single day! :-)

                    But, finalizing, I was quite pleased finding new call signs in psk recently, and not only the "regulars".
                    HNY 2011!
                    Cuagn, vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

                    > That's very interesting Freddy, I thought that the US was the only country with a 200 watt limit. I thought everyone else could use a KW or whatever their normal power limit is.
                    >
                    > I had no idea of the 100 watt limit, you say that the limit is region 1 wide?
                    >
                    > Any idea about region 3?
                    >
                    > Thanks for the info Freddy, 73 and good dx
                    >
                    > Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA
                    >--------------snip-----------------

                  • Scott Currier
                    Message 10 of 19 , Jan 11, 2011
                      Thank you Cedric, are you allowed SSB on 30?

                      73 Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                      To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                      From: aishwarya1967@...
                      Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:11:37 +0100

                      From: dl6xaz@...
                      Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:50:20 +0000

                      Hi Pat,
                      sure that arrangement helps, but pse keep on mind that here in reg. 1 we must not use more than 100W: well, whether all stick to it is another kettle of fish... My standard is 50W into a L/4-vertical.

                      Amazingly this morning at 0900z there was ZL50VK in rtty 1 up on 10144 dial, workable. Haven't heard stateside stns for a while on 30m.
                      73 Fred DL6XAZ

                      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "PAT AND GLENNA" <pjones5@...> wrote:

                      > 30m is like that,many times I will call cq dx in the middle of the day here in Fl and be answered by a Eu station.
                      > It helps to have a full size vert with 60 radials and 200 watts.
                      > I love 30m for dx.
                      > pat w4fo

                    • John M
                      Message 11 of 19 , Jan 11, 2011
                        Hi all...

                        From what I read, maybe I am missing the point of all these good digital modes...

                        Even 50w is a bit much from all the info that is put out about these modes..

                        I thought they were suppose to be weak signal modes...make the contact using a wet string and 10w....yes I know thats a bit silly but you get the point.

                        I look at the 20m beacons and there are times when here in Australia I can hear/see the second power level which is 10w I think..but still nothing coming from that area....have to ask why ?

                        John
                      • Aishwarya
                        Message 12 of 19 , Jan 12, 2011
                          Hello Scott,

                          My HB9 license allows me to use any mode (CW/SSB/Data) on any band. There are no mode restrictions. But as member of our national society (USKA, member of the IARU) I do agree to follow the IARU bandplan that doesn't allow SSB on 30m...

                          73, Cedric HB9HFN

                          Date: 11.01.2011 23:39, Scott Currier wrote :
                          Thank you Cedric, are you allowed SSB on 30?

                          73 Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                        • ve3oij
                          Message 13 of 19 , Jan 12, 2011
                            Canadian licencees are allowed 1 kHz bandwidth signals on 30m. This is why normal ALE signals are not permitted on 30m in Canada.

                            Otherwise, they are limited by their licence class for power (250 W for basic, 1000 W for advanced).

                            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Aishwarya <aishwarya1967@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Scott,
                            >
                            > My HB9 license allows me to use any mode (CW/SSB/Data) on any band.
                            > There are no mode restrictions. But as member of our national society
                            > (USKA, member of the IARU) I do agree to follow the IARU bandplan that
                            > doesn't allow SSB on 30m...
                          • garethhowell
                            Message 14 of 19 , Jan 12, 2011
                              According to BR 68 (the licence terms for UK amateurs), A and B licensees (i.e. full licenses) are permitted 400W 26dbW on all HF bands apart from the top half of 160m.

                              Gareth - M5KVK
                              Message 15 of 19 , Jan 12, 2011
                                Hi Scott,
                                very interesting. Actually I am always messing with the bandpass, DSP and ASP filters; my rigs are FT2000/897 and 857, thus there are good tools at hand.
                                You are perfectly right re rtty being the worst digimode; here very often it is power which saves the QSO, reason why I keep ye ole AL811 in line. But let us be fair: when rtty was introduced, it was an enormous step forward despite its deficiencies originated by its code. The simple usage of ITA2 which was introduced for landline telex, on the air was probably due to lack of experience with digital codes on the air at that time. However, during my service in the 60ies it was the daily bread, often done with cupboard size 500W transmitters with red glowing plates... I resumed ham rtty in 1981 on mechanical basis and homebrew interfaces. So with rtty we are keeping an oldie alive, including terrible pile-ups. Btw Fldigi has a very good filtering for rtty.
                                Nevertheless I prefer our modern soundcard modes like Contestia etc. and I hope that one day we shall find a dxpedition not using rtty but something more reliable even if they got less QSOs in the log.
                                73 Fred DL6XAZ

                                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for the info Freddy. I have not found it necessary to use more than 50 to 75 watts on the better digital modes. On baudot, the worst performing digital mode, in my opinion, I may use 200 watts in order to help the other person decode what I am sending.
                                >
                                > As long as the signals are clean, I'm not too concerned about how much power someone is running. On the lower bands, stations that are 1 hop away are usually quite strong compared with the dx stations.
                                >
                                > The best way of dealing with this situation is to narrow the passband around the desired signal. I cannot do that on my 706 like I can on the 1000D.
                                >
                                > On my 706 where the passband is 2700 cycles I have had success with turning up the volume on the radio so that the indicators in JT65HF read max. This has the effect of making signals that at normal volume levels would not show up on the waterfall appear and with JT65 at least, they can normally be decoded despite the distortion caused by the high volume.
                                >
                                > This is also handy on the higher bands when you're working a weak station and because of conditions there are signals in the passband that are 30 40 50 db stronger.
                                >
                                > The real solution is to use a radio that will allow you to narrow the passband. If the loud signal is clean then they shouldn't pose a problem.
                                >
                                > If you're like me and can't narrow the passband around the desired signal then careful use of the audio levels may bring everyone up to the same level on the waterfall.
                                >
                                > 73 and good dx.
                                >
                                > Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                                -------------snip-----------------
                              • Scott Currier
                                Message 16 of 19 , Jan 13, 2011
                                  Hi Freddy, you've got some fine equipment.

                                  I would have thought that a DSP would cause more problems than it solved with digital signals.

                                  As for the problem with people running too much power on digital. I think that as long as the signal is clean there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

                                  Figure 50 watts is the average amount of power that people run on digital and 50 watts is reasonable. The most that anyone is likely to run is about 2000 watts. A difference of about 16 db. 3 S-units, a bit less.

                                  On many bands you will encounter greater differences between weak and strong signals than 16db. Figure 15 meters with no noise, weak signals not or barely moving the signal meter and strong signals being S7 or stronger. You may have some signals at s3 and strong signals at 10db over S9. That's quite a difference.

                                  That's how I view it. I have been having good success keeping the volume up higher on the radio. The signals may be distorted but on JT65 they still decode. If I was using JT65 on the Yaesu I'd just narrow the passband down to 200 cycles and deal with the adjacent stations that way.

                                  I agree with you about Baudot. It is an old code and can't be compared with the codes of today. Baudot needed to be decoded by mechanical devices, not computers.

                                  Baudot works well on landlines and it works well on radio circuits with good signal to noise ratios.

                                  With good conditions, Baudot also works well for dxing.

                                  Baudot makes sense if you are using it to work people who are using old mechanical teleprinters or if you are using one yourself.

                                  For computer to computer contacts I see no value in using the old code unless you have a particular interest in the performance of that old code or you have some other interest in Baudot.

                                  For those who have no such interest, they may as well use a better code.

                                  Thank you for your thoughts Freddy.

                                  73 and good dx.

                                  Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                                  To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com