Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
      > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
      > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
      > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
      >
      > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
      > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
      > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
      > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

      Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
      that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
      the other stations were running.

      I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
      the tip!

      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
        Jonathan,
        to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
        Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

        > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
        > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
        > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
        > >
        > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
        > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
        > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
        > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
        > >

        > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
        > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
        > the other stations were running.
        >
        > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
        > the tip!
        >
        > --
        > 73,
        >

        > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
        > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

      • John M
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
          Hi all..

          MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
          The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

          John