RE: [30MDG] Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

  • don
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010

      Hrd is pretty ram hungry

      What have you got running  at the same time some settings use more ram than others .

      I notice some waterfall setting say in the setup they use a higher cpu usage

      Don zl1atb

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
        > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
        > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
        > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
        >
        > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
        > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
        > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
        > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

        Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
        that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
        the other stations were running.

        I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
        the tip!

        Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
        Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
          Jonathan,
          to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
          Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

          > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
          > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
          > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
          > >
          > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
          > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
          > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
          > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
          > >

          > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
          > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
          > the other stations were running.
          >
          > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
          > the tip!
          >
          > --
          > 73,
          >

          > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
          > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

        • John M
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
            Hi all..

            MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
            The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

            John