Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
      Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
      theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
      Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
      vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
      >
      > Philw de KA1GMN
      >
      > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
      >

      > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
      > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
      > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
      >
      > gm
      > 73
      > Eddy
      > N4ABN
      >

      > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
      > >

      > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

    • signalhz
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
        The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

        On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

        Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
        theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
        Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
        >
        > Philw de KA1GMN
        >
        > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
        >

        > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
        > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
        > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
        >
        > gm
        > 73
        > Eddy
        > N4ABN
        >

        > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
        > >

        > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

      • don
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010

          Hrd is pretty ram hungry

          What have you got running  at the same time some settings use more ram than others .

          I notice some waterfall setting say in the setup they use a higher cpu usage

          Don zl1atb

          The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

          On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

          Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
          theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
          Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
          >
          > Philw de KA1GMN
          >
          > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
          >

          > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
          > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
          > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
          >
          > gm
          > 73
          > Eddy
          > N4ABN
          >

          > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
          > >

          > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

        • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
            > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
            > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
            > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
            >
            > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
            > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
            > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
            > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

            Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
            that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
            the other stations were running.

            I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
            the tip!

            Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
            Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
              Jonathan,
              to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
              Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
              vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

              > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
              > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
              > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
              > >
              > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
              > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
              > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
              > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
              > >

              > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
              > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
              > the other stations were running.
              >
              > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
              > the tip!
              >
              > --
              > 73,
              >

              > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
              > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

            • John M
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                Hi all..

                MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
                The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

                John