Re: [30MDG] Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

      Thanks for the report.  I have had good results w/ fldigi.

      Philw de KA1GMN

      On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:

      I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.

      gm
      73
      Eddy
      N4ABN

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
        theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
        Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
        >
        > Philw de KA1GMN
        >
        > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
        >

        > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
        > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
        > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
        >
        > gm
        > 73
        > Eddy
        > N4ABN
        >

        > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
        > >

        > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

      • signalhz
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
          The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

          On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

          Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
          theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
          Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
          >
          > Philw de KA1GMN
          >
          > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
          >

          > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
          > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
          > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
          >
          > gm
          > 73
          > Eddy
          > N4ABN
          >

          > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
          > >

          > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

        • don
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010

            Hrd is pretty ram hungry

            What have you got running  at the same time some settings use more ram than others .

            I notice some waterfall setting say in the setup they use a higher cpu usage

            Don zl1atb

            The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

            On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

            Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
            theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
            Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
            vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
            >
            > Philw de KA1GMN
            >
            > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
            >

            > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
            > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
            > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
            >
            > gm
            > 73
            > Eddy
            > N4ABN
            >

            > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
            > >

            > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

          • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
              > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
              > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
              > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
              >
              > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
              > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
              > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
              > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

              Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
              that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
              the other stations were running.

              I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
              the tip!

              Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
              Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                Jonathan,
                to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
                Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
                vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

                > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                > >
                > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
                > >

                > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                > the other stations were running.
                >
                > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                > the tip!
                >
                > --
                > 73,
                >

                > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

              • John M
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                  Hi all..

                  MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
                  The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

                  John