Re: [30MDG] Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

      Hey mike...no problem.  Signal looked good on this end.

      Philw de KA1GMN

      On Dec 3, 2010 8:47 AM, "k9jri@..." <k9jri@...> wrote:

      I copied you perfectly Phil. I had just installed MixW 2.20 onto Windows on my Mac nini and had not set up any of my favorite macros yet. I was really surprised when you answered my 2.5 watt CQ.

      Thanks for the report. I will be better prepared next time.

      The setup is a SWL PSK-30, 2.5 watts PEP into a 40M dipole fed with 300 ohm line.

      73 and thanks again

      Mike - K9JRI

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

      > CQ CQ CQ de K9JRI K9JRI K9JRI
      > pse K
      >

      > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM, k9jri@... <k9jri@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I am listening rig...

      > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams

      > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.

    • signalhz
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
        I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.

        gm
        73
        Eddy
        N4ABN

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

          Thanks for the report.  I have had good results w/ fldigi.

          Philw de KA1GMN

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
            Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
            theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
            Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
            vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
              The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

              On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

              Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
              theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
              Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
              vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
              >
              > Philw de KA1GMN
              >
              > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
              >

              > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
              > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
              > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
              >
              > gm
              > 73
              > Eddy
              > N4ABN
              >

              > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
              > >

              > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

            • don
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010

                Hrd is pretty ram hungry

                What have you got running  at the same time some settings use more ram than others .

                I notice some waterfall setting say in the setup they use a higher cpu usage

                Don zl1atb

                The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

                On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

                Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
                >
                > Philw de KA1GMN
                >
                > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
                >

                > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
                > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
                > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
                >
                > gm
                > 73
                > Eddy
                > N4ABN
                >

                > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
                > >

                > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

              • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                  > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                  > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                  > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                  >
                  > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                  > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                  > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                  > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                  Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                  that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                  the other stations were running.

                  I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                  the tip!

                  Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                  Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                    Jonathan,
                    to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
                    Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
                    vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

                    > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                    > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                    > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                    > >
                    > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                    > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                    > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                    > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
                    > >

                    > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                    > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                    > the other stations were running.
                    >
                    > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                    > the tip!
                    >
                    > --
                    > 73,
                    >

                    > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                    > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

                  • John M
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                      Hi all..

                      MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
                      The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

                      John