Re: [30MDG] Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
      CQ CQ CQ de K9JRI K9JRI K9JRI
      pse K

      On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM, k9jri@... <k9jri@...> wrote:

      I am listening right now and hear nothing. I am i Indianapolis, IN

      EM69xw

      73 - Mike - K9JRI

      --
      Philw de KA1GMN
    • k9jri@att.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
        I copied you perfectly Phil. I had just installed MixW 2.20 onto Windows on my Mac nini and had not set up any of my favorite macros yet. I was really surprised when you answered my 2.5 watt CQ.

        Thanks for the report. I will be better prepared next time.

        The setup is a SWL PSK-30, 2.5 watts PEP into a 40M dipole fed with 300 ohm line.

        73 and thanks again

      • Phil Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

          Hey mike...no problem.  Signal looked good on this end.

          Philw de KA1GMN

          On Dec 3, 2010 8:47 AM, "k9jri@..." <k9jri@...> wrote:

          I copied you perfectly Phil. I had just installed MixW 2.20 onto Windows on my Mac nini and had not set up any of my favorite macros yet. I was really surprised when you answered my 2.5 watt CQ.

          Thanks for the report. I will be better prepared next time.

          The setup is a SWL PSK-30, 2.5 watts PEP into a 40M dipole fed with 300 ohm line.

          73 and thanks again

          Mike - K9JRI

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

          > CQ CQ CQ de K9JRI K9JRI K9JRI
          > pse K
          >

          > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM, k9jri@... <k9jri@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I am listening rig...

          > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com <30MDG%40yahoogroups.com>, Phil Williams

          > > <ka1gmn@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > hey jon...calling on olivia 16/500 @ 10.142 + 750 +/- QRM.

        • signalhz
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010
            I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.

            gm
            73
            Eddy
            N4ABN

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2010

              Thanks for the report.  I have had good results w/ fldigi.

              Philw de KA1GMN

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
                Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010
                  The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

                  On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

                  Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                  theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                  Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                  vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
                  >
                  > Philw de KA1GMN
                  >
                  > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
                  > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
                  > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
                  >
                  > gm
                  > 73
                  > Eddy
                  > N4ABN
                  >

                  > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

                • don
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2010

                    Hrd is pretty ram hungry

                    What have you got running  at the same time some settings use more ram than others .

                    I notice some waterfall setting say in the setup they use a higher cpu usage

                    Don zl1atb

                    The problem I have with HRD Deluxe is not with decoding anyone. Something is causing it to freeze during qso's

                    On 12/6/2010 9:09 AM, dl6xaz wrote:

                    Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                    theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                    Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                    vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the report. I have had good results w/ fldigi.
                    >
                    > Philw de KA1GMN
                    >
                    > On Dec 3, 2010 9:58 AM, "signalhz" <signalhz@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > I heard you here too Phil but was using DM 780. I have problems with that
                    > program. I downloaded FLDIGI a little while ago. I'm probably going to be
                    > trying to figure out how to operate it for a while.
                    >
                    > gm
                    > 73
                    > Eddy
                    > N4ABN
                    >

                    > On 12/3/2010 7:49 AM, Phil Williams wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hey mike...no problem. Signal looked good on...

                  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
                      > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                      > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                      > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                      >
                      > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                      > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                      > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                      > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                      Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                      that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                      the other stations were running.

                      I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                      the tip!

                      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                        Jonathan,
                        to make it clear: DM780 does DominoEX without FEC; don't know how Multipsk handles it; MixW doesn't have the mode; FLDIGI allows for both with FEC and without FEC. So I had to find out myself why a sked of mine didn't work in the beginning when my partner worked with DM780 and I had the FEC-box checked.
                        Personally I like the FEC option because it enhances transmission quality considerably under weak condx, but we fldigi-users are a minority. Therefore my recommendation to refrain from FEC.
                        vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Helis KB5IAV <kb5iav@...> wrote:

                        > > 1a. Re: Olivia/Contestia/MFSK
                        > > Posted by: "dl6xaz" dl6xaz@... dl6xaz
                        > > Date: Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:09 am ((PST))
                        > >
                        > > Hi Phil, Eddy + Co.ltd. :-)
                        > > theoretically all programs - fldigi, DM780, MixW etc. - will send out proper and precise signals in those modes; there may be the one or other slight difference in receiving weak signals especially MFSK, but I noticed no difference in Contestia or Olivia. So which program you wish to use is a mere matter of personal preference.
                        > > Just want to leave this note: when using DominoEX under fldigi pse uncheck the FEC-box in Config-Modems as otherwise you won't be able to get a contact when the other side is using DM780 or possibly Multipsk.
                        > > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
                        > >

                        > Do those programs only do DominoEX with FEC? If so, I wasn't aware of
                        > that. I've made some DominoEX QSOs without FEC, but don't remember what
                        > the other stations were running.
                        >
                        > I will keep that in mind next time I try to work DominoEX. Thanks for
                        > the tip!
                        >
                        > --
                        > 73,
                        >

                        > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                        > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.

                      • John M
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 8, 2010
                          Hi all..

                          MultiPSK also has a button to turn on/off the FEC...The designer of DominoEX would rather have a larger value of FEC..the standard is 4 but he says 10 is much better...but the software cant be adjusted..This is were they brought in THOR..started as DominoEX added in FEC = 10 and some other changes,,,but very simliar modes.
                          The designer of DominoEX actually recommends THOR as the preferred mode.

                          John